Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DPF

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Apologies if I'm late to the party on this but i've just been reading up on the dreaded DPF's (Diesel Particulate Filter).

At least now I understand why, on two occasions in 6k miles, I've parked the vehicle after a normal journey and been surprised to hear the fan running and it smelling as if it's just overheated!
This I now know was the vehicle carrying out an active-regeneration of the DPF.
There are two modes of regeneration as I understand, active as described above and passive.
Passive is carried out on long(ish) journeys at engine speeds above 2k rpm. The important element of this type of journey is exhaust temperature. In order to clear or regen the DPF the exhaust temp needs to increase over and above average driving temp. This is achieved by the ECU adjusting the fuel mapping.

Google this subject and you'll find dozens of articles. The one by the AA I found interesting and worrying.

It seems to me that the diesel engine has had it's day as an ecconomical alternative to petrol.
Higher tax on the fuel and now potential huge maintenance costs for DPF replacement in the future suggest that it's no longer viable.

So, anyone looking to buy an older Cali may want to look into this.
Having said that, I suspect the average Cali-journey is long enough to allow the DPF to do it's thing.
Anyone using it for a short daily commute may need to do some research.

With reference to another recent thread "Remap". Perhaps a DPF removal may be an alternative? (reaches for tin hat and takes cover!!!)

Regards,
S.

Your comment about the fan when you stop is helpful - thanks. I've noticed it a couple of times recently when I've stopped. The sound and smell is similar to the on board diesel heater, and I checked to make sure I hadn't switched it on by mistake!

Oh is that the noise!!!

I was going to search/post to see why my heater sounds like it is on for a little while after I have driven and then turn off the ignition. So that is the DPF doing its thing? Excellent info, thank you.

(I have a disgustingly short commute to be driving the Cali to work, so short I should walk/cycle it really, so I hear this pretty regularly)

Our Polo Bluemotion does this, makes a lot of noise and smell for such a small car. Too many short journeys.

So, a little more intel.

When I bought the van one of the first things I noticed was a slight rasp from the exhaust. Nothing too sporty just enough to raise an eyebrow, this is, after all, a diesel!
Having covered a few thousand miles I hadn't noticed that the rasp had vanished. It was only after a trip across France last week that I noticed it was back. Along with the return of the rasp was a increase in fuel economy of around 12%.

My conclusion for this is that the active DPF regen is not up to the job of clearing out the excess soot, it's only a good old blast (brim it and boot it - V max for 8 hours) that will suffice. Not an ideal scenario.

I've done some research into this and it seems there are several companies out there that simply remove the offending section of exhaust, cut open the DPF can, remove, reweld and replace the system. Software is adjusted and bingo, problem solved. Cost, around 700 sterlings.
Work this out using an increase of 12% fuel economy and it's paid for in around 12 months.

Where do I sign?

S.

Gi Guys , how do you force a " diesel particulate filter regeneration " on a 2007 volkswagen multivan t5 2.5tdi Turbo ???

Been searching the forum now for a week and can not find anything :headbang :headbang :headbang nor on the www search engines !!! Does anyone know ????

cheers

RevHead351 said:
Gi Guys , how do you force a " diesel particulate filter regeneration " on a 2007 volkswagen multivan t5 2.5tdi Turbo ???

Been searching the forum now for a week and can not find anything :headbang :headbang :headbang nor on the www search engines !!! Does anyone know ????

cheers

I think it has to be done via software, ie dealer job.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

The manual should detail how to do it, but you can try it yourself driving for a certain amount of time at a certain rev range. If you have warning lights on it may require a trip to the dealer to be regenerated by them.

cheers

RevHead351 said:

cheers
I had a card with my 2.5 when new that says if dpf light only comes on you have to drive for 20 minutes above 40mph in 4th or 5th with rpm between 1800-2500. DPF and Glow plug lights it needs a dealer to do it.

Well, when I was visiting Revo a couple of weeks ago I enquired about their Stage 2 tuning package. Apparently this removes the DPF and puts in place a Miltec pipe which does away with all this, as per Sidepod's post. No DPF, no associated problems, better economy and a 10% further uplift in power. I'm definitely not a mechanic or a software engineer, but that does have a certain appeal, and one that maybe warrants further investigation when my warranty expires.

DavidS said:
Well, when I was visiting Revo a couple of weeks ago I enquired about their Stage 2 tuning package. Apparently this removes the DPF and puts in place a Miltec pipe which does away with all this, as per Sidepod's post. No DPF, no associated problems, better economy and a 10% further uplift in power. I'm definitely not a mechanic or a software engineer, but that does have a certain appeal, and one that maybe warrants further investigation when my warranty expires.

Will that not mean the engine will not pass the emissions test on MOT ?? Without dpf I mean.

Can't answer that, Andy. My impression was it would be ok, but further investigation is needed to confirm. I wasn't interested in doing it at the time.

I find all this emissions control technology very annoying - it seems worst in four cylinder diesels. Dual Mass Flywheels, DPFs and EGR valves all "artificially" reduce emissions and stuff up our nice shiny vans and cars!
Planning on a petrol car next (clearly a petrol Cali is a wee bit hard to come by!) partly because they don't seem to have all these daft devices that hate short journeys -I don't remember cars of old needing constant long trips to "clear" them out.

Oh well, borderline middle aged man rant over.

KernowLad said:
I find all this emissions control technology very annoying - it seems worst in four cylinder diesels. Dual Mass Flywheels, DPFs and EGR valves all "artificially" reduce emissions and stuff up our nice shiny vans and cars!
Planning on a petrol car next (clearly a petrol Cali is a wee bit hard to come by!) partly because they don't seem to have all these daft devices that hate short journeys -I don't remember cars of old needing constant long trips to "clear" them out.

You recon calis are complicated with a DPF, take a look at this shows how a DAF euro 6 truck engine treats the exhaust. I dread to think what a new silencer will cost !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YenZgYL_7OY

Andy said:
KernowLad said:

You recon calis are complicated with a DPF, take a look at this shows how a DAF euro 6 truck engine treats the exhaust. I dread to think what a new silencer will cost !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YenZgYL_7OY

Dammit, I was thinking of a lorry next as well… :headbang ;) :lol:

Goodness, the DAF video is SOOOO illuminating,

I really must remember to pack my woolly DPF's when I set off camping this winter, :cool:

Re: DPF - OBD2 diagnostic connector tuning software

Buggar ;) ;) ;) workshop manuals are not avaliable here in Australia so have no idea how to commence a forced DPF regeneration.

Sorry to pick peoples brains :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: what scantools are people using , something thats affordable for the home DIY Mechanic not the commercially avaliable units that cost a arm and a leg???

What via the OBD2 diagnostic connector tuning software is avaliable to the general public ????

cheers

[/quote]Dammit, I was thinking of a lorry next as well… :headbang ;) :lol:[/quote]

You could always step up to a T4 Westy? No complex trickery there. Just plain old reliable grunt. :cool:

S.

According to Honest John today in the Telegraph it's definitely illegal to remove the DFP as it alters the CO2 rating of the engine from the approved one. Shame as it seems to remove problems and perform better without it.
I guess it would invalidate any warranty as well.

briwy said:
According to Honest John today in the Telegraph it's definitely illegal to remove the DFP as it alters the CO2 rating of the engine from the approved one. Shame as it seems to remove problems and perform better without it.
I guess it would invalidate any warranty as well.
i thought the dpf's burn off soot particulates. This would result in soot ie carbon being turned into carbon dioxide CO2. So no DPF will result in less CO2, but more particulates!

Had my 2007 174 2.5 Cali since 2009 and had 2 DPF warning lights in that time due I think to short commutes ( don't do them in the van anymore). I was dreading the garage bill but after reading up on DPF's and all the horror stories I scientifically concluded the best way to deal with it was to blast down the M40 for 40 mins at 80mph and seem to have got away with it ( just passed another MOT) Luck?? Judgement?? I'll let you know ;)

DPF regeneration in the workshop using the proper tools.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM see all these write ups about total removing the DPF internals and haing the ECU/PCM software modified to eliminate the DPF part of the vehicles engine managements system , defeats the whole purpose of have cleaner exhaust emission from diesel powered vehicle. I'm one hundred percent sure we can not do this here in AUstralia and I woul suspect other countries would have tough emmsions laws as well

Also seen some handheld unit that works on some vehicles that actaully forces a DPF regeneration via the OBD2 connector

DPF regeneration scan tool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMoNNk2lVW0

http://www.techtalk.ie/index.php/new-di ... t-tool/286

regenerate DPF through OBD scan tool
http://www.crdperformance.com/?s=regene ... +scan+tool

Back