Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drain on Engine Battery

SimonB

SimonB

Staff member
Top Poster
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We went away for 3 weeks, not in the Cali, and when we came back I tried to start it, but there was not enough power in the battery to turn the engine over. I have one of those Clarkes jump starts which started it with no problem at all.
My question is, what could there be that is draining the battery when it is not being used? I have switched off all the courtesy lights that come on when the doors are opened. Our side door is manually not electrically operated. I turn off the control panel. We only use the Cali for longer journeys not short hops.

I don't want to have to keep the large Jump Start with me in the van if I don't move the Cali for a couple of weeks.
What is it that I have missed and not turned off?

Also is the large bolt next to the battery a suitable earth point to put a jump start onto? I read that due to relays, etc, you should put the neutral lead of the jump start onto a well earthed piece of the engine, the leads on the small jump starts are too short to do this, is that bolt a suitable substitute?

I had a similar problem within a few months of getting my brand new Cali. To cut a long story short, the engine battery had to be changed with no problems since.
The usual suspicions of some mystery power drain was investigated and I was told that a brand new battery could not possibly fail. Well, it did!

Are you regularly charging it with hookup as stated in hand book ? Should be done especially if not in regular use.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

It is on a hook-up at least once a month, but that is mostly to keep the leisure batteries topped up I think.

If you plug it in mains every month and it's a 2017 you might have a issue .
Assuming there was noting switched on ...interieur light , a 12v charger in a socket?
Maybe there a loss somewhere , mesuring out the battery drain with contact off can maybe help ?
Anyway , hook your starterbattery on mains using a batterycharger (not the one in the Cali ) now your drained it !

+1 for us SimonB. Not used Cali for 3/4 wks,charged monthly & has solar panel.
Engine battery flat.
Nothing obvious has been left on.

Last edited:
Both having the same problem and both with Solar Panels. Any connection ?

Mike

Husband said not related to solar panel.

Couldn’t even use battery charge because voltage too low in engine battery.
Engine slowly charging with plug in mains.

Our local VW dealer has agreed to new engine battery (warranty). All booked in over the phone.

Our local VW dealer has agreed to new engine battery (warranty). All booked in over the phone.

Result

Mike

That's a great result. Well done.
I was wondering if the vehicles stand for a while before being sold and with the battery in a flat state it won't ever fully charge properly again.
We have done 400 miles in the last few days which should charge the battery up as much as possible. Be interesting to see how long it lasts this time.
I've just checked the battery voltages and the Leisure ones are reading13.7volts, the engine battery is 12.5volts.

That's a great result. Well done.
I was wondering if the vehicles stand for a while before being sold and with the battery in a flat state it won't ever fully charge properly again.
We have done 400 miles in the last few days which should charge the battery up as much as possible. Be interesting to see how long it lasts this time.
I've just checked the battery voltages and the Leisure ones are reading13.7volts, the engine battery is 12.5volts.
The Leisure Battery should read about 12.7 v after resting for an hour or so with nothing On.
Engine Battery never charges to more than about 80+ % capacity because of the Blue Motion trickery of Smart Alternator & Regenerative Braking. Don't forget the Alarm system is Drawing Power. Was it activated while you were away, fly/movement?
Anyway on my T5.1 have left if for 4 weeks at Heathrow over winter and still started 1st time at -2c, with Alarm active.

Are either of you sure you didn't leave the Indicator in the ON position, as that will leave side/parking lights On, on that side only.

Husband said the indicator wasn’t left on ,but it was a good question. We have been at home with Cali outside,no alarm activated.

The engine battery reading 7 v .
Now with trickle from mains plug in (hook up) engine now 11 v. Now using smart engine charger.

The leisure battery was 14.4 v ,have solar panel.

Husband said the indicator wasn’t left on ,but it was a good question. We have been at home with Cali outside,no alarm activated.

The engine battery reading 7 v .
Now with trickle from mains plug in (hook up) engine now 11 v. Now using smart engine charger.

The leisure battery was 14.4 v ,have solar panel.
Most solar set-ups don’t charge the engine battery though.

SimonB I would get main battery checked at a battery supplier, if it fails & still in warranty go see what a dealer says.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The Leisure Battery should read about 12.7 v after resting for an hour or so with nothing On.
Engine Battery never charges to more than about 80+ % capacity because of the Blue Motion trickery of Smart Alternator & Regenerative Braking. Don't forget the Alarm system is Drawing Power. Was it activated while you were away, fly/movement?
Anyway on my T5.1 have left if for 4 weeks at Heathrow over winter and still started 1st time at -2c, with Alarm active.

Are either of you sure you didn't leave the Indicator in the ON position, as that will leave side/parking lights On, on that side only.

The alarm was on, but the indicators were off, the inside lights that come on when the doors are opened were off, the dash cam was off. I can't think of anything that I can turn off that I hadn't.
I should have checked the voltage before jump starting it.

We went away for 3 weeks, not in the Cali, and when we came back I tried to start it, but there was not enough power in the battery to turn the engine over. I have one of those Clarkes jump starts which started it with no problem at all.
My question is, what could there be that is draining the battery when it is not being used? I have switched off all the courtesy lights that come on when the doors are opened. Our side door is manually not electrically operated. I turn off the control panel. We only use the Cali for longer journeys not short hops.

I don't want to have to keep the large Jump Start with me in the van if I don't move the Cali for a couple of weeks.
What is it that I have missed and not turned off?

Also is the large bolt next to the battery a suitable earth point to put a jump start onto? I read that due to relays, etc, you should put the neutral lead of the jump start onto a well earthed piece of the engine, the leads on the small jump starts are too short to do this, is that bolt a suitable substitute?
I have not had a problem with my Cali but returning from over 4 weeks in Europe in the Cali my VW Caddy battery was flat. This is not uncommon in a lot of 'modern' cars as there is still a great deal going on (electricaly) in the vehicle when it is all locked up. Most Car showrooms you visit if you look the ones on display indoors nearly always have a trickle charger attached. Those outside I assume they start regularly.

I have not had a problem with my Cali but returning from over 4 weeks in Europe in the Cali my VW Caddy battery was flat. This is not uncommon in a lot of 'modern' cars as there is still a great deal going on (electricaly) in the vehicle when it is all locked up. Most Car showrooms you visit if you look the ones on display indoors nearly always have a trickle charger attached. Those outside I assume they start regularly.

I was told by my local dealer on Friday that some vehicles left in the compound have to be jump started due to being up there for quite a long time on occasions.

Update :
New engine battery replaced under warranty. :thumb
Battery not holding its charge. Dealer says unusual .

So pleased we have 5 yrs warranty.
So far wonky closing roof sorted( apparently cost £1500+) , sliding table ,water tap ,blind over sliding door & engine battery replaced.