Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Flat engine battery

G

gordimac

VIP Member
I picked up my Cali Beach last week and went away for the weekend. I did not have any power hook up so relied on the vehicle batteries. I assumed that the power would come from the leisure battery and the engine battery would remain unaffected. But unfortunately the Cali would not start on the Sunday morning.

I used the hi-fi and had a fridge plugged into the front 12V.

Surely this should not happen? I assumed there must be some kind of isolation relay to protect the engine battery from being drained. There is no read out that I know about to be able to check the state of the batteries either.

I have spoken to the dealer and mine was the first Cali they sold - so no luck there. The manual that comes with the vehicle is a bit generic so is not clear on the details.

Am I doing something wrong here?

If its the same as the California SE the front 12v socket and hi-fi run off the engine battery unless hooked up.

I think that the socket on top of the dash will be connected to the leisure battery. Did you need the ignition on to use the socket, next to the cup holders, for the fridge?

You’ve just discovered part the joys of owning a Cali.
If you want to listen to music when camped, or use anything that draws current from the engine battery (i.e. extra fridge, electric door, raising and lowering the roof too often) you run a high risk of having a van that won’t start the following morning.

We’ve had this often, and it really p------ me off. :headbang :headbang

Solution;
1. Know your breakdown recovery number,

2. Buy a good set of jump leads ( be careful when using them! ),

3. Buy a jump pack,

4. Having spent £££ on an upgraded VW sound system, buy another
portable one from Argos. :crazy

Check this out on eBay
"Ring RBA3 12 volt led voltmeter battery tester"
You can monitor your engine battery without lifting the bonnet or turning a key
Just plug into DC socket (I.e socket on dash or console) inside front of vehicle,so easy.
I'll have mine at Coft if any one wants a peep :D

I also assumed the cup holder 12 volt socket was wired to the engine battery, just as all T5 panel vans are, and was surprised to find it is not.

The face lift SE (2010 onwards) have all of the 12 sockets (including the one beside the cup holders) are wired to the leisure batteries. I checked this for my van (March 2010) with my dealer who looked it up on the VW dealer site. He also double checked with a voltage tester by removing the relevant fuse from a demo 2014 Cali in the showroom.

Can't speak for the Beach, but you could ask the dealer to check for you. At least then you know what was doing the damage.

Alan

General rule of thumb, on an SE anyway, is everything rear of the B pillar (or behind front seats) runs off the leisure batteries. Anything in the cab runs off the engine battery including the stereo even when parked. Stereo should turn off after 20 - 30 minutes to prevent flattening battery.
I would have thought a Beach would be the same.

Not sure about the dash 12v sockets working off leisure batteries. Not prepared to risk it or take a dealers word for it.

On my Beach, everything behind the B pillar is on the leisure battery. The cup holder socket is on the engine but goes off when the ignition is off, and the socket on top of the dash is also on the leisure battery.

So I'm wrong to presume the 12volt socket on my dash runs off the engine battery am I :?:

On my Beach, the one on top of the dash is linked to the leisure battery.

many thanks for the comments - they are all very useful

I think I will buy the plug in voltmeter and monitor things to be safe

For the record I think my mistake was to plug the coolbox in the front (cant remember which one) but I did not leave the ignition on.

My dealer is not very sure

I will be more careful - still love the vehicle it is a great machine (despite the lack of clarity in the handbook or from the dealer!)

you can check any of you outlets by monitoring the overhead display, plug something in so you have a load, if it shows on the display it's being supplied by your leisure batteries if it does not it's being supplied by the engine battery.

Ian

thanks ian but i dont think a beach has an overhead display
i have ordered a plug in voltmeter so hope to find out myself...

To test sockets just plug in ciggy lighter, if it glows red ah voltage, if not no voltage. with ignition off and key removed of course

John :shocked

Hi John - thanks - sometimes the simplest solutions are the best. But unfortunately I do not have a cigarette lighter in my Cali.

I did purchase a plug in voltmeter though....

To my surprise the two sockets on the dashboard appear to come from two different sources as they show two different voltages. The one on top of the dashboard never goes out either (so I assume must come from the alternative battery.) I have not tested to see if the one in the cup holder goes out when doors are locked yet but will do soon.

Voltmeter - good shout - thanks Alan

Back