Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drive Away Awnings not welcome?

No issues our side with Caravaners, and we all like to twitch the curtain every now and again. But even as a vanner we find the usual small minority of vanners sat outside at 2am getting pissed and making a lot of noise a little tedious. Gives us all the same reputation.
That’s true

Have had very mixed experiences of noise on campsites in the wee hours, ranging from a young couple having a loud discussion in a nearby tent to an (apparently deaf) elderly couple who fell asleep watching late-night TV in their caravan (who I woke at 3:00am by banging on the window).
Having said that I am very conscious of the noise made by a sliding door of a VW when my bladder calls.
I recall a particularly pants night in Wales when 4 faux van lifers in their 50s turned up and proceeded to get piddled and make merry till 2am. No issues with those wanting a fun night out, but go do it in an empty field of a mates.

With you on the sliding door, grates me hearing them slam back and forth from those who don’t have the manners to be considerate. They close very easily without the need to slam. Hence the motor for the last few inches.

Have had very mixed experiences of noise on campsites in the wee hours, ranging from a young couple having a loud discussion in a nearby tent to an (apparently deaf) elderly couple who fell asleep watching late-night TV in their caravan (who I woke at 3:00am by banging on the window).
Having said that I am very conscious of the noise made by a sliding door of a VW when my bladder calls.
Should have just unplugged the EHU. I very much doubt if it was a 12v television.

Interesting to read this, we recently had a very unpleasant experience at a site where my drive away was called a tent. The owner was having none of it, got really aggressive so we ended up packing up and leaving in wind rain and thunder. We got a full refund when I complained to the office but it ruined a week's holiday. I wouldn't have minded if it was fire regs but there was only 1 other motor home on the site. Statements like "I'm sick of you lot with these campervans" has really made me the question the value camping anymore.
I would have chewed his grass up on my way out with my a/t tyres

Is this drive away issue a uk thing? I haven't seen this discussion in mainland Europe so far .

Not sure there is an issue?

No one has yet provided any evidence of a site not allowing driveaway awnings as far as I can see

Of the 3 sites I'm staying at next week 1 doesn't allow drive away at all, one is fine with them and the other won't allow them if they have a groundsheet (which many do)

Screenshot 2024-06-23 at 08.39.45.png

Of the 3 sites I'm staying at next week 1 doesn't allow drive away at all, one is fine with them and the other won't allow them if they have a groundsheet (which many do)

View attachment 125106
That’s a bit of a skewed narrative though, that site doesn’t allow any tents, so not allowing drive away awnings isn’t a massive surprise seeing as it’s effectively a tent with a small piece of fabric to attach to a van.

Which site is it?

No issues our side with Caravaners, and we all like to twitch the curtain every now and again. But even as a vanner we find the usual small minority of vanners sat outside at 2am getting pissed and making a lot of noise a little tedious. Gives us all the same reputation.
Actually I was more thinking of 7/8pm when we are typically eating our dinner with a glass of wine and the caravanners have mostly disappeared inside to watch TV or whatever else they do in their mobile 3 piece suites

The electric door lock on the California shuts the door quite quietly really

View attachment 125106
Interested to know what site this is. Lots of sites do not allow sown in ground sheets as will kill the grass, when I was looking for a driveway awning one of the criteria was the ground sheet was not fixed.

Actually I was more thinking of 7/8pm when we are typically eating our dinner with a glass of wine and the caravanners have mostly disappeared inside to watch TV or whatever else they do in their mobile 3 piece suites
Had some good convos with Caravaners on sites. No issues with them at all. I prefer a well mannered respectful caravaner to a whale renter all day every day. We all just trying to enjoy the outdoors and mobile life in our own ways.

That’s a bit of a skewed narrative though, that site doesn’t allow any tents, so not allowing drive away awnings isn’t a massive surprise seeing as it’s effectively a tent with a small piece of fabric to attach to a van.

Which site is it?
I agree, it may well be anecdotal. My driveaway has a sewn groundsheet so that ruled out 2 of the 3 stays. Perhaps they're just the exception.

Back