Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Driving in Spain

scimmiamagia!

scimmiamagia!

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Have seen some horror stories of car jacking and the like in Spain with claims that camper vans are prime targets.

Anyone any experience of what it’s really like to drive around Spain in a camper?

Have seen some horror stories of car jacking and the like in Spain with claims that camper vans are prime targets.

Anyone any experience of what it’s really like to drive around Spain in a camper?
Driven through Spain right down to Gibraltar 3 years in a row had no problems at all lovely quiet roads compared with the uk
But I guess if you go to the bad areas anything is possible like any country also it’s a lot cheaper to drive through than France less tolls and fuel is much cheaper

Generally far nicer to drive than the uk. Just use common sense re security. We always lock the van even when standing next to it filling with fuel etc.

Just be aware that roundabouts work differently, in simple terms everyone uses the lane furthest away from the roundabout even if going right round, the only time the lane closest to the roundabout is used is for overtaking.

Doing it now. So far so good.
Did it 2 yrs ago no problem.
Just be sensible I suppose.

I’ve never had a problem, although apparently the scam of being stopped by somebody claiming you have a defect is still alive and well. This one is an excellent warning, even if you don’t speak German, just for the priceless reaction (3:00mins) upon realisation of the theft:
If your vehicle is actually defective, numerous drivers (esp lorries) will flash their lights at you, rather than hysterically pull you over to discuss. Keep all doors locked. Stop at services only. In city centres, beware of motorcyclist pillion passengers, attempting to slash tyres in stationary traffic, for similar scam. Leave loads of space in front of you and make it clear that you are ‘thief-aware’.

Went to Spain in April for 1 month, never ever had a feeling of unsafety. But you should always be aware, everywhere... Fraud with parking fees, theft by guys who offer "to watch over your verhicle", people urging you to leave the van for dubious reasons etc... It's from all times, all places.

Last edited:
Hi!
I have never had insecurity here in Spain, it is true that you have to take precautions like in any other country, I usually travel throughout Europe and I have only had problems in Italy and Marseille, but if you tell me where you are going I could help you. recommend some places or others to visit. My English is a bit horrible, sorry ;)

Hi!
I have never had insecurity here in Spain, it is true that you have to take precautions like in any other country, I usually travel throughout Europe and I have only had problems in Italy and Marseille, but if you tell me where you are going I could help you. recommend some places or others to visit. My English is a bit horrible, sorry ;)
It's not my thread but I'll take you up on the offer of some tips.

I have 2 questions

1) We are traveling to Turre from Bilbao, looking to do the journey in 1 day. Is it worth taking this slightly longer route for better scenery or just save the time?

Screenshot_20240613-175945_Maps.jpg

2) After 2 weeks in Turre we are traveling back to Calais over 5-6 days camping with 2 young Children. Any recommendations on route and must see stops?

Rather than just hijack the OPs thread and give nothing back. I have driven in about 10 countries on the continent and never had an issue any where. I can't think of one that wasn't better than here.

Never had a problem when driving in Spain. Nor have I heard of problems. The usual security advice applies.

Hello!
If your final destination is Turre, I would go the shortest way, but if you want to enjoy the variety of landscapes and tourism, I would recommend that you go through Zaragoza (there is camping) and very close you have a restaurant to enjoy Spanish gastronomy: https ://www.bulebar.es/bulebar-montecanal/
Another day towards Valencia passing through Teruel (a great unknown https://thesilentroute.com/) or "Maestrazgo" and activities Children in https://www.dinopolis.com/ if you spend the night in Valencia you can eat at "La Pepica" or "Casa Carmela" and finally arrive at Turra.

We spent two months touring Spain, never felt at risk at all.

Years ago we did have our car tyre slashed at a service area then on the motorway someone came along side indicating that our tyre was getting low and encouraging us to pull over. It was handling ok we ignored them and pulled off in a town where the tyre did go down and had been cut.

I believe that the police are more active against this sort of thing theses days but I am always careful where I park and do a quick check on the tyres before driving on. At least with a van there is little need to leave it to go to the loo if in a place that looks a problem.

Saying all that I am perfectly happy to drive alone around Spain and the roads are good and people are friendly. I was more concerned yesterday when I pulled in on a road in London and the car that had been behind we for a while pulled in behind me. It drove off I was just being paranoid.

Hi!
Hi @feelzeroday, can I ask if you have experience with getting VW California’s insured in Spain. Asked this on another thread a while back sorry to double up.

Hi @feelzeroday, can I ask if you have experience with getting VW California’s insured in Spain. Asked this on another thread a while back sorry to double up.

I think the question is:
Do you live in Spain and want Spanish insurance?
or Do you live in the UK then just want cover when visiting Spain?
If in the UK your insurance company can add continental travel. Your location is showing as Bristol.

Hello!
If your final destination is Turre, I would go the shortest way, but if you want to enjoy the variety of landscapes and tourism, I would recommend that you go through Zaragoza (there is camping) and very close you have a restaurant to enjoy Spanish gastronomy: https ://www.bulebar.es/bulebar-montecanal/
Another day towards Valencia passing through Teruel (a great unknown https://thesilentroute.com/) or "Maestrazgo" and activities Children in https://www.dinopolis.com/ if you spend the night in Valencia you can eat at "La Pepica" or "Casa Carmela" and finally arrive at Turra.
Brilliant, thank you.

Back