Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

180 BITDI Engine owners real life experiences.

Paul_W

Paul_W

Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hi all, we’ve had our 2012 180 BITDI for a couple of years now, when we brought it I’d never seen the horror stories posted about this engine, if I had we’d probably have brought a California with a different engine, just because it all sounds like a disaster waiting to happen!

Anyway we didn’t see the stories so brought our 2012 Berghaus, 40K miles when purchased now £49K miles, a couple of short journeys a week but lots of 50+ mile journeys on a regular basis. No issues at all and we love it!

To be fair if you google any car model specifically you’ll find negative stories about it not positive ones!

I’m just wondering if any of readers have had bad experiences with this engine or hopefully some of you guys have the 180BITDI with many 1000’s of miles without issue?

All feedback welcome but would love to see some positive responses from people with real world experience.

Thanks everyone

Hi all, we’ve had our 2012 180 BITDI for a couple of years now, when we brought it I’d never seen the horror stories posted about this engine, if I had we’d probably have brought a California with a different engine, just because it all sounds like a disaster waiting to happen!

Anyway we didn’t see the stories so brought our 2012 Berghaus, 40K miles when purchased now £49K miles, a couple of short journeys a week but lots of 50+ mile journeys on a regular basis. No issues at all and we love it!

To be fair if you google any car model specifically you’ll find negative stories about it not positive ones!

I’m just wondering if any of readers have had bad experiences with this engine or hopefully some of you guys have the 180BITDI with many 1000’s of miles without issue?

All feedback welcome but would love to see some positive responses from people with real world experience.

Thanks everyone
2014, 180 4Motion. Just short of 100,000 miles. I’m retired and it is my daily driver as well. Oil consumption last 40,000 miles 250mls/20,000 miles, I use the power. Why wouldn’t you.:Stig

EGR changed at 900 miles due to an electrical fault. Otherwise trouble free.

Had my 2011 BiTD for over 7 years now and it’s been in regular use with just over 73k on the clock now.

At the risk of tempting fate, the only major item was the EGR valve replacing at around 40k in 2014, other than that it’s been 100% It was our only vehicle for the first couple of years so it did more miles pa back then.

I’ve asked about the number of BiTD powered vehicles with problems at the local dealer and several independents and they all stated that the problems have been few and no more than other power plants. Hardly scientific, but these guys usually love to tell a story.

I’ve had a warranty for a couple of years for a bit more peace of mind but so far haven’t needed it. I explicitly mentioned the engine type to the company involved and they said they have not had any significant issues with it that they’re aware of. It didn’t bump my premium up at all, so there could be something in that.

Not to say there haven’t been issues, as there have been, but the nature of a forum naturally gives a platform for folk to air their grievances (and even more opinions) and it’s a rare thing to see an “all is well” post, so I thought I’d add my 2c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disaster, and VW knew all about it but failed to do a recall, although I maybe understand why.

Bought 2010, late 2015 using 1 litre of Oil every 500 miles....replacement engine,VW after much pressure paid 70% and me 30%.....

Had my 2011 BiTD for over 7 years now and it’s been in regular use with just over 73k on the clock now.

At the risk of tempting fate, the only major item was the EGR valve replacing at around 40k in 2014, other than that it’s been 100% It was our only vehicle for the first couple of years so it did more miles pa back then.

I’ve asked about the number of BiTD powered vehicles with problems at the local dealer and several independents and they all stated that the problems have been few and no more than other power plants. Hardly scientific, but these guys usually love to tell a story.

I’ve had a warranty for a couple of years for a bit more peace of mind but so far haven’t needed it. I explicitly mentioned the engine type to the company involved and they said they have not had any significant issues with it that they’re aware of. It didn’t bump my premium up at all, so there could be something in that.

Not to say there haven’t been issues, as there have been, but the nature of a forum naturally gives a platform for folk to air their grievances (and even more opinions) and it’s a rare thing to see an “all is well” post, so I thought I’d add my 2c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Andy and Welshgas, thanks for your replies, out of interest do you know why your EGR‘S were replaced? Wondering if early replacement of your EGRsaved you other problems.

Everything I seem to read now says if you’ve got a 180 BITDI and not got issues yet get your EGR replaced or removed (illegal in UK and won’t pass MOT maybe?) to prevent future engine failure!

I’m in two minds because the cost of a replacement EGR and the labour involved isn’t cheap, but a replacement engine seems outrageous.....

Maybe I’m just worrying unnecessarily, there must have been 1000’s of these engines, surely they can’t all be doomedo_O

Hi Andy and Welshgas, thanks for your replies, out of interest do you know why your EGR‘S were replaced? Wondering if early replacement of your EGRsaved you other problems.
Yep. Those supporting the view that this isn't much of a problem based on their experience having had their EGR replaced, should really state what revision of egr they got as a replacement and how early into the van's life it occurred.

Otherwise its rather like saying I've never fallen off my bike since I stopped cycling.

Yep. Those supporting the view that this isn't much of a problem based on their experience having had their EGR replaced, should really state what revision of egr they got as a replacement and how early into the van's life it occurred.

Otherwise its rather like saying I've never fallen off my bike since I stopped cycling.
No A, B, C or D suffix on the replacement EGR, so whatever was around in 2014. And it was an electrical fault so they probably just replaced the EGR and not the cooler. Also replaced at 900 miles/2 weeks after registration.

Mine was a late 2011, became aware of the problem from internet, so became obsessed with checking oil, changed EGR to ‘D’ at 72k still all good, at 85k it started using oil, almost over night. Was mostly fine around town but on long motorway trips it would use 500ml every 1000miles and was getting worse.
Chatted to a couple of mechanics I know, one said he had done 4 engine replacements on 180 van years were between 2012-2014.
Debated about putting a new engine in, but that oil usage is apparently still ok according to VW so no hope of any contribution.
Tried to sell it to independent dealers but all were that aware of oil problems on 180s and were not interested, even at a big discount.
Eventually traded it in, at a loss. I could have got more for it but didn’t have the heart to sell it to someone privately.
Loved that van, but in the end was glad to see the back of it.

Last edited:
Back