Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Driving to Italy via Switzerland at the end of March

S

Solgal

VIP Member
We normally travel later in the year to visit family in northern Italy but this year we need to travel earlier, at the end of March. Looking at routes we are thinking of going via Nancy, Lucerne and Bellizona, down to Como via the A31, A35, A2 and then the E35 before heading to Venice Treviso airport to pick up other family travelling by plane. (Coronovirus permitting!) We are not therefore going via any passes and have ordered some snow chains in preparation. As we only have a basic Beach (2013) we are stopping overnight twice on route at budget hotels (NO!!! I hear you all say!) Any advice if you've done this route - or part route at this time of year would be really appreciated.

Hi there!
How can I help? Your route sounds good to me. You plan to drive from Basel to Bellinzona on the A2 through the Gotthard Tunnel and then down to Mailand and so on, right? Last year we drove quite the same route to Slovenia and stayed in Bergamo (in a hotel too) for a night (no option for you I guess but we started late in the evening from home).
Do not forget - I am sure you already know - to buy a sticker for Switzerlands Autobahn (CHF 40.-, I know some of you think this is expensive;)) and get around the same cash in Euros for the part Chiasso to the airport.
Route A2 in Switzerland is very busy and it depends when you are driving you've got a lot of traffic. Where do you intend to stay or make a stopover?
Snow chain is a good point and I guess you've got also some winter tyres on (Italy 15.10. - 15.4).

Do not forget - I am sure you already know - to buy a sticker for Switzerlands Autobahn (CHF 40.-, I know some of you think this is expensive;)) and get around the same cash in Euros for the part Chiasso to the airport.
If you have few time constraints, avoiding the motorways in Switzerland can be a very rewarding experience.

If you have few time constraints, avoiding the motorways in Switzerland can be a very rewarding experience.
Totally agree! There are so many wonderful roads (and towns) from Basel to Chiasso but all depends on the time @Solgal has. Let me know when you're thinking of driving a "detour".

Hi there!
How can I help? Your route sounds good to me. You plan to drive from Basel to Bellinzona on the A2 through the Gotthard Tunnel and then down to Mailand and so on, right? Last year we drove quite the same route to Slovenia and stayed in Bergamo (in a hotel too) for a night (no option for you I guess but we started late in the evening from home).
Route A2 in Switzerland is very busy and it depends when you are driving you've got a lot of traffic. Where do you intend to stay or make a stopover?
Snow chain is a good point and I guess you've got also some winter tyres on (Italy 15.10. - 15.4).
Thanks for your reply! We are staying at Revigny-sur-Ornain on the first night and then Lucerne the second night. Yes - thanks knew about the Switzerland Autobahn - it's put us off going via Switzerland before but this time really want to do it! Thanks for the tip about the A2 being very busy - didn't know that. Yes - we have ordered snow chains too - need those for italy too. Thanks again!

Hi. We live near Luzern. It's a lovely route you've chosen.
You shouldn't need snow chains, they're only used on snow packed roads, and we've not had that all winter, not even high up. You'd be best getting your money back on them.
Winter wheels would be a plus, but you should be ok without them. By the end of March those who are organised are usually removing winter wheels.
If the weather's at all poor, don't use the Gotthard pass, use the tunnel. The rest of your route and surrounding area is easy access and won't be busy in March, it's only really busy in summer and during holidays.
Make sure you have the badge with the country initials on the back - particularly if you make it into Italy, they have a new rule only applicable to foreign cars and are pretty stringent.
If the corona virus is still hitting Italy hard I'd head west from lake Luzern, it's beautiful out that way.
Camping Lido Luzern is right on the edge of the city, which people speak highly of, if you want to explore Luzern. I'd recommend the tour from the official tourist office of the city and can recommend more if you're in the city.
Erm... Feel free to let me know what kind of things you fancy doing for more specific recommendations (I might be able to give you cost saving recommendations too that locals tend to use) or ask with questions.

Thank you so much Sunshine and Snow! Your reply is so useful and reassuring! We are planning to return via Lucerne and I're read that Zug is really nice too so we were going to head for that, although i will look up Camping Lido Luzern as you've mentioned it. Thanks for the offer to ask for more specific recommendations will ask you :0)

Zug's really cosmopolitan, it's a major location for the pharma industry and their employees (and partners) are amazingly international, doesn't really give you a sence of traditional Switzerland, more of modern Switzerland. It's quite an affluent area.

What are you interested in and do you like doing? Mountains, spa, boats, cycling, skiing, city breaks, history, nature,... ?

If you're looking for a once in a lifetime (if the weather's lovely) I'd recommend a day pass for this spa:

Or a day hopping on on and off the ship, the lake is at the very beginning of the alps and its spectacular to see the mountains rise out of the water as you head south:

TCS Camping Zug is next to the lake however there is a train and a road nearby. I‘ve never been there but it looks great. Check the opening times as it is closed over winter.

„Offseason 2020

02.04.2020 - 03.07.2020
16.08.2020 - 11.10.2020

08:00 - 11:45
14:00 - 20:00

Check-In from 14:00 until 21:00

Peak 2020

04.07.2020 - 15.08.2020

08:00 - 11:45
14:00 - 20:00

Check-In from 14:00 until 21:00“

If you're wanting to get off the autobahn you could also dive onto (sections of) the Grand Tour Switzerland:

Re snowchains: I am not sure where you have to carry some.
Roads where chains must be carried or winter tyres must be used are signed with operational dates at the start of the road with regular repeaters just showing the snow chain icon.

italy-winter-tyre-snow-chains-sign.jpg

Chains can be bought quite cheaply in Italy - they are often of poor quality but will be road legal.

I know, sorry, I meant in Italy?
Ahh. I don't think there are any requirements in Italy for snow chains. Lombardy is the part of Italy in the most lock down for the coronavirus and reigon closest to Ticino - do you think that will have resolved or even eased in the coming weeks?... If it were me I'd just plan Italy out of the trip now.

Roads where chains must be carried or winter tyres must be used are signed with operational dates at the start of the road with regular repeaters just showing the snow chain icon.

italy-winter-tyre-snow-chains-sign.jpg

Chains can be bought quite cheaply in Italy - they are often of poor quality but will be road legal.
So only in the mountains on designated roads. Got it.

I am sure I mentioned this place before: Camping Vitznau was great last year with the pool! Or Camping Naas (next to the lake Aegeri).

So only in the mountains on designated roads. Got it.

We drove from Rome to Manfredonia early December 2017 only seeing the repeater signs, and not really understanding their meaning. We bought chains in Foggia and they have sat unused under the driver’s seat ever since. In the meantime we have changed tyres from 215 to 235 and I have no idea if the chains fit the new tyres.

We drove from Rome to Manfredonia early December 2017 only seeing the repeater signs, and not really understanding their meaning. We bought chains in Foggia and they have sat unused under the driver’s seat ever since. In the meantime we have changed tyres from 215 to 235 and I have no idea if the chains fit the new tyres.

Winter wheels are the answer, I've not hit anything I can't drive on with winter wheels. Snow or otherwise. It means having to change tyres twice a year, but using the winter ones 50% of the time means the summer ones last 2x longer. Poster is also travelling in late March, so needing chains would be a massive outlier.

hi all
I am planning to drive to lake Garda via Switzerland on our first Cali European trip next month, (first 2 weeks of September) We have camped in a trailer tent in france previously but now looking forward to exploring further afield.

The only problem is that I am a bit nervous of driving mountain roads. I have been looking at driving the A2 route through Switzerland as above. Can you please advise that this road is a decent wide road along its entire length through Switzerland, with tunnels rather than “Sheer drops” at the side of the road .

Also, at this time of year will summer tyres be OK, it looks this way from what I have so far read up on?

Thank you for any advice you can give.

Hi Calijen

Summer tyres in September are totally fine. I normally don't swap to winter tyres until some time in mid/late October, depending on the weather.

The A2 is the main road that goes through the Gotthard Tunnel. It's a Motorway (A for Autobahn). No sheer drops and plenty of tunnels, but the queues of traffic into the tunnel are legendary, so be warned.

Hi Calijen

Summer tyres in September are totally fine. I normally don't swap to winter tyres until some time in mid/late October, depending on the weather.

The A2 is the main road that goes through the Gotthard Tunnel. It's a Motorway (A for Autobahn). No sheer drops and plenty of tunnels, but the queues of traffic into the tunnel are legendary, so be warned.
Thank you for your prompt reply. Much appreciated :)