Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Venice at end of September

BayCatOne

BayCatOne

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Hi there!

As we got so many good tips and ideas when we posted for our Easter trip down to Belgium I thought it was worth posting something again.
Me and my 6yr old daughter are thinking of going down to Venice to get some R&R at the end of September / beginning of October and here below is our WIP travel plan.

Based on the community knowledge about traveling from Germany and south down to Italy, is this "doable" this time of year? I have little to no experience driving here.

TguuAzq.png

Legend/Translate:
Vart - Where
Datum/Dag - Date/Day
Pris/natt - Price/night
Restid - Travel time
Hemresa - Home journey
Tyskland - Germany
Gardasjön - Lake Garda
Venedig - Venice

Map southbound
mSnkvGG.png

Map northbound
3sr1STx.png

I’m afraid I cannot comment on your trip to Venice, but when we went we stayed at this campsite, between Venice and Padua with bus stops outside to Padua and Venice. Bus no 53 if my memory serves me correctly. You can buy the bus tickets at Reception.
Padua is well worth a visit especially Giottos Chapel, very inexpensive but book on line.

That's quite a drive to see Venice , but i think the ride to get there will be much more joyfull than Venice itself .
Been to Venice 15y ago (without Cali) and found it way to touristique . To many folks in thesame place imo.
The only enjoyable moment we had was the 30min gondola ride on the water just the two of us and the driver .

Nice plans ahead!
We went to Chioggia twice (stayed in a hotel): Small(er) and less crowded than Venice and still got some fast boats to Venice. Only half an hour south of Venice. Maybe worth thinking about this idea? Some pictures of Chioggia/Sottomarina:

ef43c8d3975dc11596dd2bf4b91ce611.jpg
0932a05a8520c8d74c5136f47c0ac1cc.jpg
399b76e44c442d49ec1ca0644fb76525.jpg

Looks nice - the alternative to staying "in Venice" was this place Fusina campsite. So much to see and so little time. I don't think we'll stay in once place once at Venice so might go there too. September/October I guess will be a little less crowded, fingers crossed.

Last edited:
From München i would take the Brenner Pass and down to Garda
rather than the Udine way.

We've stayed here a few times and its handy as its just a walk away from the ferry
across.
I think that at Ca´savio you have to get a bus to the ferry across.

Hi, to visit Venice go to Punta Sabbioni near Cavallino and take the Vaporetto (boat) from there. It is not expensive and very convenient, in addition to the charme of arriving to Venice from the sea... My only concern would be the season, it seems a bit late and risk of rain. But some years it is very sunny and warm in September as well.

Yeah thanks, rain is a factor but still it’ll probably be warm and the water not cold - everything is relative right? Compared to Sweden, hah. Also fewer tourists.

We’re off in 6 weeks and would like some info about the Brenner Pass and what alternate routes we could take. Garda is the first stop so via Innsbruck and straight down but for the return it would be nice to see something different. Ideas?

If you have time I would recommend a dog leg into Slovenia to go by Lake Bled very nice area and a campsite on the edge of the lake. Then go into Italy via Trieste, or on the way North. Venice will always be busy but September is alot calmer than August and weather is cooler. Buy a travel pass from a tabacchi covers all public transport and makes getting about the canals easier. Stayed at Antica Locanda Al Gambero which is by San Marco and they do discount for the main car parks on the outskirts. Hotel NH Venezia Laguna Palace is on the mainland has own parking and excelent links to Venice itself. (if you didnt find a campsite close enough)

Your 6 year old daughter will love the water park at Marina di Venezia.

Been twice (flew from UK) and loved it. Would love to go back again.

Closest Site to Punto Sabbioni for the boat to Venice too.

Magical place, full of tourists of course but there’s nowhere else like it.
I’ve always stayed in the city itself but driving down in a Cali sounds like a great trip!

Thanks! Water park is very much appreciated and she’s going on about it already so I guess we’ll be there ;)

About road tolls, is there anything I should know about when driving in Italy or other “hidden costs”? Brenner is a digital one so that’s easy https://shop.asfinag.at/en/

Pay by debit/credit card if you can generally quicker than the manned or cash stations. Dont go through without a ticket as you will get stung by a large fee at the next toll point punto blu

I would go Helsingborg-Helsingør instead of the bridge and then Rödby - Putgarden.
Get yourself an autobiz and it will be cheaper and almost as quick and you get a break on the ferry.

I would go Helsingborg-Helsingør instead of the bridge and then Rödby - Putgarden.
Get yourself an autobiz and it will be cheaper and almost as quick and you get a break on the ferry.

Well I was thinking of doing that but we've already got the bridge pass for Öresundsbron and some so it's actually cheaper to drive (and I don't mind it). Also like the Stellplatz at Jagel in Germany so win-win. Home we might take the ferry depending on what time we're arriving around that area.

About road tolls, is there anything I should know about when driving in Italy or other “hidden costs”?
Not about tolls in Italy - but related to motorway costs.

I needed to refuel on an Italian motorway, cost €1.88 per litre. It should have been closer to €1.30 in April 2018 in Italy.

Refuel before you get on an Italian motorway or plan to come off to refuel.

Back