Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Droopy Roof

LowMan

LowMan

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi there. Wondered if anyone might be able to advise us.

We've just returned from a wonderful week with our Cali in Cornwall. It's our first full week away and offered a great opportunity to put it through it's paces.

Our overwhelming verdict was that it passed all our tests with flying colours, except for one niggle.

One night, we experienced pretty strong winds. It was quite persistent towards one side of the roof. Suddenly, the roof motor appeared to kick in, as though it was starting to lower itself. It scared the life out of us! The motor operated for about three/four seconds, and sounded like the final moments you hear as you pop the roof up (although this time it was in reverse). By the time the motor had stopped we noted one side of the roof had lowered slightly (the side facing the wind), like it was droopy. We turned on the engine and opened the roof fully again. This appeared to correct the roof. We then lowered it fully, and left it until the morning.

The following day the wind had dropped and we opened the roof again. It worked fine. We didn't experience the problem again during our trip.

We wondered if this was a fault others had had. Our Cali is under warranty so I guess our thoughts were whether we should mention it to our dealer, however we weren't sure we'd be able to reproduce the problem in order to demonstrate it. Hence we thought we'd ask the question.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Looby.

Reading the thread it was difficult to work out whether people actually considered this a fault or not. The 'Auto Adjust' feature mentioned isn't something I'd heard of before, or been made aware of. I'm wondering if we encountered an exagerated version of it in operation.

We'll probably just keep an eye on it and see if it happens again and report back if it does.

Cheers.