Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

dropping 30mm and changing from 16 inch alloys to 18 inch alloys

nadir

nadir

Vehicle
T6 Coast 150
Hi , Just joined this forum, I've just got my VW campervan and looking to change the alloys to slightly bigger and drop the suspension by 30mm. I live in scotland and the touring will mostly be around Scotland and ,mostly the roads are pretty much okay. I think someone said they had a problem with their lights being at the wrong height after lowering ? Did i read that wrong ? the main reason for changing and lowering is a) looks and b) handling to give it a bit more stiffness and less rolling when cornering . But also read that road noise increased significantly after doing this . What are peoples experiences of the pros and cons of this ?

Hi and welcom,

Had mine drop 30mm along with the HD anti roll bars also with 18” BBS wheels all with VW OEM parts except wheels. All done prior to collection they also realigned the lights.
made a big difference in ride quality, ie no wallowing hence the kitchen stays in place and feels more planted, road noise can’t honestly say I have notice, running on Goodyear Aysemetric 3’s believe they are 69db’s

good luck. in my book money well spent.

Hi and welcom,

Had mine drop 30mm along with the HD anti roll bars also with 18” BBS wheels all with VW OEM parts except wheels. All done prior to collection they also realigned the lights.
made a big difference in ride quality, ie no wallowing hence the kitchen stays in place and feels more planted, road noise can’t honestly say I have notice, running on Goodyear Aysemetric 3’s believe they are 69db’s

good luck. in my book money well spent.
I’m putting All weather 255 tyres so think with deeper treads and slightly more contact road noise would increase slightly anyway . In Scotland with such variable conditions it makes sense . Was adjusting the lights a big job ?

Had it done at the dealer before collection sorry no idea of cost

I had mine lowered and run on 18s. Lowering dropped the front down 40mm and the rear 20mm (hence approx. -30mm). I have the Bridgestone All Season tyres which was the only choice in the 255 size. I can echo the positives from above. On the downside it can be a bit harsh over poor road surfaces on the front.

The lights are an interesting question. Mine failed its MOT on the lights being too high after lowering (I lowered the lights about 3years ago as I was fed up of being flashed). They were subsequently way too low (I posted a picture somewhere) and the dealer checked and readjusted them back up. However compared to my other vehicles they are still a little low.

thanks , i'll take it to a dealer to sort the lights out but as its not due an MOT for a couple of years i'll sort it out well before then

Our T5 SE is lowered 30mm and is running 18” alloys - done by dealer prior to collection. It gives a significantly better ride than the standard T6 Ocean we rented previously, which wallowed in corners and was not fun on single track roads on Scottish islands. The lowering and big wheels makes the van so much more planted on the road. I thoroughly recommend.

I’m also running Goodyear Asymmetric tyres.

I’m 30mm lower on 18in Canberra’s and Goodyear asymmetric 3’s. Handing improved drastically steering was straighter and road noise is fine. It’s an essential mod on any T5SE

Hello there.
vw damaged the plastic headlight levelling sensor on the rear axle on mine when they lowered it, replaced springs and the like.
For the first three months I was burning peoples retinas out and getting flashed left right and centre. One guy even got out of his car at traffic lights and asked me to turn full beam off. So from there on until I got it sorted I used the DRLs and fogs!
VW couldn’t find a problem at first, saying it’s how they are meant to be. No I wasn’t having it.
After lots of searching and advice from another forum I asked them to look into the sensor on the rear axle. Low and behold, this was the issue.
They have been fine since and local people are able to see again properly at night:)

Hello there.
vw damaged the plastic headlight levelling sensor on the rear axle on mine when they lowered it, replaced springs and the like.
For the first three months I was burning peoples retinas out and getting flashed left right and centre. One guy even got out of his car at traffic lights and asked me to turn full beam off. So from there on until I got it sorted I used the DRLs and fogs!
VW couldn’t find a problem at first, saying it’s how they are meant to be. No I wasn’t having it.
After lots of searching and advice from another forum I asked them to look into the sensor on the rear axle. Low and behold, this was the issue.
They have been fine since and local people are able to see again properly at night:)
That’s really helpful as well , thanks

In theory no light adjustment required as both front and rear are lowered. Normal manual adjustment by the rotary control knob should be able to compensate if required.

Simple DIY method is to park on a level surface facing garage door or a wall at night. Headlight on dip beam, check light up/down control knob is on 0, as a reference stick a piece of tape on the wall/door where the light horizontal is and the kerb 'kick up' beam starts. Bonnet open and you'll see two white plastic hex sockets on the light unit. one does up-down and the other left-right.
Adjust both sides as required, sometimes the left right needs an adjustment also as this can change with the up/down.
Road test to confirm that all as required.
Obviously easier to get a Garage to do it with their beam setting equipment.
I've used that method many time and never had an MOT fail.

Slightly off topic but has anyone got the 50 / 55mm drop lowering springs on theirs?

Would love to see pics as I plan on lowering mine when I get one, thanks in advance

Slightly off topic but has anyone got the 50 / 55mm drop lowering springs on theirs?

Would love to see pics as I plan on lowering mine when I get one, thanks in advance
I priced up B14s on Saturday. Hopefully get them fitted before xmas. A few on here have had them slammed

I priced up B14s on Saturday. Hopefully get them fitted before xmas. A few on here have had them slammed

cheers mate

Im in two minds of speccing a 6.1 with DCC hence springs or going without and going down the coil overs route. I have a car on air already which is slammed, but never again haha

You may know that B14 struts are shorter than standard struts which means that on their own they lower by 25mm (I think). Designed for shortened springs.

Ok, id like a 50mm drop in total from factory ride height. I have the 30mm vw springs at the moment but its just not enough
Are you out of warranty or intend to use VW approved kit?

No it’s still in warranty for another year. Today to be exact.
The Vw eibach kit is £1800, the B14 kit is £1200.
Way I see it, vanworx conversions are Vw approved, they use bilstein so I’m willing to hedge my bets and get into an argument. As long as the toe and tie are bang on there’s not much else that could be affected. No 4mo for me either so one less hassle.
Also knowing me it might even be more than a year before I get around to doing it

Regarding warranty, it only affects the components modified rather the entire cover being voided. So in the case of lowering, suspension may no longer be covered under warranty claims

Thanks for that bjg. It’s not something I was aware of tbh.
Nearest dealer for me is Tamworth so might be a Saturday job :thumb
merseyspeed.co.uk are highly thought of, not far from you and do Bilstein, H&R, Vanslam etc all week ,every week. :thumb