Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DSG Coasting Experience

Neuromancer11

Neuromancer11

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
So I’ve done about 500 miles in my new Ocean on a mix of road types, I’ve noticed that the DSG coasting function seems a bit hit and miss! I was wondering if this is just my van or just the way it is? On my old Porsche boxster it would coast at ever opportunity on the motorway and was very consistent, in the ocean it sometimes coasts but sometimes doesn’t despite me feeling it should be coasting

Define coasting please

On mountainous roads I often skip the van into neutral and coast down the hills.

So I’ve done about 500 miles in my new Ocean on a mix of road types, I’ve noticed that the DSG coasting function seems a bit hit and miss! I was wondering if this is just my van or just the way it is? On my old Porsche boxster it would coast at ever opportunity on the motorway and was very consistent, in the ocean it sometimes coasts but sometimes doesn’t despite me feeling it should be coasting
I have had the same thoughts as you @Neuromancer11 , over my 5,000 miles since October.

I also note that whilst older California see to have an ability to select or cancel 'coasting' my Ocean seems to have (rather inconsistently) 'coasting' without an option to cancel. But perhaps I have missed something.

i think if you tap accelerator then it drops into that coasting, has an indicator on the dash when active. however you cannot use this with cruise control active. I did use this on long down hill drives just tap and then let it roll. :) (one observation however if you touch accelerator or brake then it cancels it)

The Coast function is deactivated by Cruise Control/ACC.
In normal driving taking foot off accelerator activates Coast and dashboard gear display should go from D ( gear 4/5/6/7 ) to a plain D.
Touching the accelerator or brake deactivates Coast and dashboard display shows D (gear).

Define coasting please

On mountainous roads I often skip the van into neutral and coast down the hills.
Using the DSG Neutral Function.is not good for the DSG. Although it seams to act the same as the Coast function it isn't. In Coast the clutch pack is disengaged not so in Neutral.
Neutral should only be engaged at Vehicle Stop.
It is also deemed, apparently, illegal as you are not in control of the vehicle.
The Coast function , when disengaged, is in the correct gear and engine speed automatically increase to the correct speed for the gear and road speed minimising stress on the DSG clutch pack and gearbox.

I have had the same thoughts as you @Neuromancer11 , over my 5,000 miles since October.

I also note that whilst older California see to have an ability to select or cancel 'coasting' my Ocean seems to have (rather inconsistently) 'coasting' without an option to cancel. But perhaps I have missed something.
Interesting sounds like it’s just the way it works then, yes I read that on the t6 you could turn it off, that’s not really as issue to me I like it, I would just prefer it to work all the time

In normal driving taking foot off accelerator activates Coast and dashboard gear display should go from D ( gear 4/5/6/7 ) to a plain D.

Yeah I guess what I’m saying is sometimes joust taking your foot off the accelerator it will hold in D7 for example and seemingly in the same situation 5 minutes later doing the same thing will drop to D

Interesting sounds like it’s just the way it works then, yes I read that on the t6 you could turn it off, that’s not really as issue to me I like it, I would just prefer it to work all the time
Agreed.

Oh and yes I’m not using ACC, in fact this is the first car I’ve had with ACC and I’m not a fan! I couldn’t see a way to turn it to just standard style CC , only limiter which I wouldn’t really use

Yeah I guess what I’m saying is sometimes joust taking your foot off the accelerator it will hold in D7 for example and seemingly in the same situation 5 minutes later doing the same thing will drop to D
Agreed that I have precisely the same experience as @Neuromancer11 - inconsistent ‘coasting’ engagement - and it sounds as if @WelshGas has a more consistent response from his older DSG (plus presumably he is lucky to also have ‘sport mode’ which I rather miss from my previous DSG Phaeton).

Oh and yes I’m not using ACC, in fact this is the first car I’ve had with ACC and I’m not a fan! I couldn’t see a way to turn it to just standard style CC , only limiter which I wouldn’t really use
Now I have got used to ACC I like it a lot; including the 5mph and 1mph increments (and reductions).

Last edited:
The Coast function is deactivated by Cruise Control/ACC.
Touching the accelerator or brake deactivates Coast and dashboard display shows D (gear).

Using the DSG Neutral Function.is not good for the DSG. Although it seams to act the same as the Coast function it isn't. In Coast the clutch pack is disengaged not so in Neutral.
Neutral should only be engaged at Vehicle Stop.
It is also deemed, apparently, illegal as you are not in control of the vehicle.
The Coast function , when disengaged, is in the correct gear and engine speed automatically increase to the correct speed for the gear and road speed minimising stress on the DSG clutch pack and gearbox.
Thanks for that WG

I’ve learnt two things this morning.

1) don’t coast a DSG in Neutral you might Bugger things up. Could do with. Source on this if you have one.
2) if you coast in N then your using fuel to tick the engine over. If you use D you won’t roll as far but you won’t use any fuel rolling there.

Every day is a school day.

Is it possible to set the ACC to behave like "normal" (non-adaptive) cruise control? One of my frustrations is on an undulating motorway, it applies the brakes on the downhills to keep the speed in check, whereas it could actually cruise a bit faster (obviously if I was happy with that) then let air resistance scrub off the speed when on the level again . . more fuel efficient.

Thanks for that WG

1) don’t coast a DSG in Neutral you might Bugger things up. Could do with. Source on this if you have one.
2) if you coast in N then your using fuel to tick the engine over. If you use D you won’t roll as far but you won’t use any fuel rolling there.

Every day is a school day.
Interesting… I used to coast in a VW Touran by putting in neutral for about 15 years without any issues with the DSG. and the DSG is still working perfectly without any maintenance. In fact I think it has only ever had a single oil change. Maybe the DSG operates differently on a T6, but I can still engage neutral, only I don’t need to as VW included the coasting function :)

Thanks for that WG

It says it, just not quite as explicitly in the manual.

Is it possible to set the ACC to behave like "normal" (non-adaptive) cruise control? One of my frustrations is on an undulating motorway, it applies the brakes on the downhills to keep the speed in check, whereas it could actually cruise a bit faster (obviously if I was happy with that) then let air resistance scrub off the speed when on the level again . . more fuel efficient.
Just press the button to disengage acc on the downhill bits & resume button at the bottom of the hill.

s on the downhills to keep the speed in check, whereas it could actually cruise a bit faster (obviously if I was happy with that) then let air resistance scrub off the speed when on the level again . . more fuel efficient.
I disengage ACC then flip into manual otherwise the DSG will decide to change down a few gears to try and keep speed down. Whilst this is not exactly coasting it does allow you to whizz downhill :thumb

Not shure I understand what you are saying but you can play with +/- as much as you like. If you think you save fuel by accelerating downhill go for it. The whole idea is not to overspeed and keep distance from car in front. Downhill ACC is not immediately activating brakes but playing with motor management, so motor braking and saving fuel. All cars/trucks should have it. It is safe and economical.

I assume when the ACC applied the brakes it flashes up the brake lights? Does this happen all the time or only when a certain amount of day heavy braking happens?

I’m certain it applies the brakes - obviously when traffic is heavier that’s where ACC comes into it’s own but on an empty or mostly empty motorway I don’t need it to pin the speed back. I don’t find the engine braking on the Cali to be very strong (probably a relatively small engine vs the weight of the vehicle)

Yes, agree its inconsistent. I found it disconcerting when I got my 6.1 after a Golf R where you could deselect coasting.
I also find it most odd that stop start cancels if you apply the handbrake and take your foot off the brake pedal.

Hi All i have a 2021 Ocean and noticed that it has both Coasting or Eco on the display, but what I find the most useful is the speed limiter , even thought i thought I would hate it....LOL

Back