Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Known problems with T6

I’m an hgv driver...... never use the engine for braking
“ gears are for going.........brakes are for slowing “
Police drivers are also trained this way
Different strokes...part of the Spanish driving license test if you use a vehicle with a manual transmission is whether or not you can downshift smoothly using the accelerator pedal for gear speed matching before turning or stopping. It’s considered a safety issue. Go figure.

Sadly I have lost my brakes twice on a descent.

Once in a Scammell 8x4 site tipper coming down a short 25% gradient with a load on. It popped out of crawler gear and I was off. The brakes were completely ineffective. I managed to get into top gear to gain some control and steer just before the 20ft drop into the river. I did, however, smash the front indicator on lamp post so didn't get away scot-free.

Also lost effective braking on my Disco 2 pulling a boat trailer coming down a steep hill on A35 and considered using the run off lane. Luckily I was holding it in 3rd at 30mph but it was starting to run away and the braking was not holding it. If someone pulled out in front of me I wouldn't have been able to stop.

Last edited:
I’m an hgv driver...... never use the engine for braking
“ gears are for going.........brakes are for slowing “
Police drivers are also trained this way

Fair enough. Touch your brakes off road or on any poor surface descent and you lose all traction and connection usually slipping to disaster. Controlled use of the engine and gearing is an essential skill to maintain safe and controlled progress in complex conditions- any aggressive throttle or braking and you are in trouble.

The idea of a vehicle rolling, essentially in neutral where the engine is idleing and disconnected from the wheels- IMO is complete madness!

Different strokes...part of the Spanish driving license test if you use a vehicle with a manual transmission is whether or not you can downshift smoothly using the accelerator pedal for gear speed matching before turning or stopping. It’s considered a safety issue. Go figure.
Slow the vehicle on brakes and then select appropriate gear
Brake discs are cheaper than clutch replacement

Slow the vehicle on brakes and then select appropriate gear
Brake discs are cheaper than clutch replacement
Umm, the reason for speed matching on downshift is that it eliminates clutch wear...

Umm, the reason for speed matching on downshift is that it eliminates clutch wear...
Waste of time down shifting until you know which gear you need to proceed
Suggest you speak to a police traffic officer for clarification / confirmation
For the record I’ve just completed Five days training for the certificate of professional competence that all hgv drivers have to complete to keep their licence so I’m not talking through my a...se
Watch and learn !

Hi,

I have a 67 plate 150 dsg California.

Today my engine management system warning light came on and the engine went in to safe mode and then started juddering, as I was on a straight stretch of road I stopped and called the AA. When he arrived he did a system management check and called VW. After various questions etc it turned out to be a known fault and can be solved by turning the engine off and back on again then the computer will reset itself and all is ok. The problem is caused by driving down hill, taking your foot off the accelerator and the engine over running and causing the system to go into safe mode. Apparently it is a rare occurrence, all conditions have to be met for it to happen. VW are apparently working on a patch to correct this. I usually drive with the coasting option on so the problem hasn’t occurred before today, as I was driving over Hardnott pass I had turned the coasting function off and not on again before driving on and I think this caused the problem.

I searched other posts and couldn’t see this problem so thought it was worth sharing.

Regards
David
Thanks for sharing - useful to be aware ok f this.

Back