Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dull Dull Dull Dull Dull ........

CALI FATE

CALI FATE

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I dont know if its just me but this forum has become very dull recently - the most exciting thread of last week was some bloke posting a picture of his lad riding a bike - so where are we heading on our summer travels this year - lets hear about the exciting far flung places you plan to visit in your lovely Californias - who is travelling furthest - someone spice things up a bit - please

I had to cancel our Norway trip :( best I managed was a trip to visit the folks from KombiLife (youtube) on Saturday, saw some quite interesting vehicles from 1970s military land rovers to split screens to modern sprinters. Quite fun but not very exciting.

OK, I went on holidays 3 weeks ago for 2 weeks.
Went throug Belgium to Luxembourg for a fill up of my tank of diesel at a rather expensive price (for Luxembourg) of € 1,13 for 1 liter.
Then I went down to Vesoul for the first stop.
Next day headed to Grenoble to take the Route Napoléon. This is a very nice route, where I almost smoked my front and rear brakepads, and disks. From Grenoble you have to go uphill for 6 km. The angle is 12%. So with a fully packed California this means: 4th gear at 70 km/h. I didn't manage to get to 5th gear.
The best part is then that you need to go downhill again to Gap. This means 6 km 12% down with a lot of hairpins.
Half an hour later the brakes were still smelling burnt and untouchable hot.
The next day I went further down to Forcalquier. Stayed there for 8 nights with a lot of driving around to see and visit cities and remarquable places.
Then another 3 nights at L'Isle-sur-La-Sorgue, and then up again to Belgium in 2 days taking the A7/A6 to Langres, and a camping in Villegusien-le-Lac. From there to Toul, and again to Luxembourg for another fillup at € 1,063 per litre.

Just about to go away for a 3 week(ish) trip around Wales. Friday had to cancel day one due to fathers eye operation. Then today campsite rang to say they had to cancel day two due to "flooding" of site. The fun thing about the van is a few adjustments and the holiday goes on.

Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution.

What have you added lately to the killing of dullness? ;)

Like Meoncoast wrote and it’s usually true with the amount of new members coming in and asking the same questions as before. That could also be a statement on the forums lack of FAQ or that it’s open to post directly before “making certain steps” (reading rules, posting hello, etc) to insure that it doesn’t happen as frequently. Then trips are trips so they’ll be bound to come again with a slight twist.

I’m stuck in the rat race atm so mini trips and trying to post a somewhat inspiring picture every now and then is as much I can do. The pictures threads are fun to me and not so dull :cool:

Edit: and ooh! Venice in September/October with my 6yr old will be a fun trip. Posted a thread about that.

Had a great day paddleboarding 1000 metres up in the Jura mountains yesterday on Lac de Joux, mountain biking around the lake and then a much longer-than planned sunset paddle on Lake Geneva. Van was a perfect playbase for using sports toys.
But still not exotic compared to many other people’s travels in their vans.

I dont know if its just me but this forum has become very dull recently - the most exciting thread of last week was some bloke posting a picture of his lad riding a bike - so where are we heading on our summer travels this year - lets hear about the exciting far flung places you plan to visit in your lovely Californias - who is travelling furthest - someone spice things up a bit - please
This post made me laugh out loud.

I only dip into the forum now and then nowadays. It’s still useful to do a search and pop a question about a potential destination or advice with the van. The search function is invaluable.

I guess after having my van for 3+ years I’ve generally got it worked out. I also found the arguments people were having quite frustrating.

It’s good to see lots of new owners and people who are thinking of buying getting involved, but as said above, it will inevitably be the same questions. So be it. We shouldn’t throw shade. People didn’t when I was the numpty that got excited about the type of glass I should be speccing. I just post less nowadays instead.

So it the interest of not being dull...

This summer the four of us will be crossing from Hull to Belgium. As usual we’ll have nothing booked between crossings and we’ll follow the sun.

A loose plan is to head down to L’Ardeche and do some kayaking, climbing and walking and then down to the coast via Provence. We could just as easily end up in Norway or Slovenia as I’ve found on last two years trips, it’s best not to make too many plans as you really don’t need to in a California.

My kids have asked if we can do less driving this year though. After 2.5k miles and 7 countries on our first family trip (UK, Holland, Germany, Austria, Italy, France and Belgium) and then 2k miles last year (UK, Belgium, France, Spain and Andorra), they’ve got a point.

We love our van. We’ve been skiing to the Alps and camped sub zero. We’ve baked in it on the Venetian coast. It’s got a dinted wheel arch from a gate post from Glastonbury 2017 that I still haven’t fixed and a dinted tailgate from a bump from an Italian Mini in the Alps.

It’s just been to the coast this weekend and now smells of woodsmoke as we decided to make a campfire to toast marshmallows from wood we foraged from a hedgerow.

Despite the smells, being a bit grubby at times and looking somewhat disheveled... It runs like a dream and is always packed & ready to go. And that my fellow California fans is why life is never dull.

Happy travels everyone this summer.

p.s. I still get excited every time I press the roof button

I hope when you press the button open?
Ha ha ha - mainly yes ... but the close when you’ve packed up just before the rain starts is also quite satisfying too!!

Just about to go away for a 3 week(ish) trip around Wales. Friday had to cancel day one due to fathers eye operation. Then today campsite rang to say they had to cancel day two due to "flooding" of site. The fun thing about the van is a few adjustments and the holiday goes on.
Three weeks touring Wales- are going around twice?

Only kidding. A great place to visit - what are your plans?

its all good fun and banter on here - i do find it oddly entertaining and keep dipping in for snippets and clever home made storage ideas - and sipepods caustic wit .... we are heading to Galicia this year for 5 weeks of living on the beach and holing up in the Picos mountains for a bit of mountain lakes and walking - thats the plan - if the weather bit off we'll fire off to Portugal - thats what we enjoy a bit of freedom and fishing for your tea - the local white wine is supposed to be fab with fish and oysters - ill let you know.

Last year we wandered around the Balkans - exploring amongst other places Albania Macedonia Kosovo - all great experience in the van

Well i hope i didnt offend too many fellow enthusiasts - keep on camping

its all good fun and banter on here - i do find it oddly entertaining and keep dipping in for snippets and clever home made storage ideas - and sipepods caustic wit .... we are heading to Galicia this year for 5 weeks of living on the beach and holing up in the Picos mountains for a bit of mountain lakes and walking - thats the plan - if the weather bit off we'll fire off to Portugal - thats what we enjoy a bit of freedom and fishing for your tea - the local white wine is supposed to be fab with fish and oysters - ill let you know.

Last year we wandered around the Balkans - exploring amongst other places Albania Macedonia Kosovo - all great experience in the van

Well i hope i didnt offend too many fellow enthusiasts - keep on camping
We are off this Friday- first overnighted for two week tour of Scotland west coast.
Will try to post lots of pics :thumb

Three weeks touring Wales- are going around twice?

Only kidding. A great place to visit - what are your plans?

have done most areas of Wales over the years - cottages and camping - no real plan aiming for Snowdonia 1st then up to Llyn peninsula and Anglsea then back around the coast heading south

Last day of our 36 night tour of six countries, France, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Germany and Belgium. Had a great time in various aires, campsites and a friend's drive. Only two days of rain in all. Mountains, rivers, lakes, coasts towns and cities. Seen some very funny sights and usual Muppets driving badly. Got to see a rear ending of a car by a van in France and other near misses. Last thing to see was the "last post" ceremony, after a day seeing why War is futile, in Ypres. Nice to see the Royal British Legion represented in the area with loads of fund raising activities ending here. Back home tomorrow to clean the van:). Not really Dull!

Last day of our 36 night tour of six countries, France, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Germany and Belgium. Had a great time in various aires, campsites and a friend's drive. Only two days of rain in all. Mountains, rivers, lakes, coasts towns and cities. Seen some very funny sights and usual Muppets driving badly. Got to see a rear ending of a car by a van in France and other near misses. Last thing to see was the "last post" ceremony, after a day seeing why War is futile, in Ypres. Nice to see the Royal British Legion represented in the area with loads of fund raising activities ending here. Back home tomorrow to clean the van:). Not really Dull!
Sounds fun Bazz - did you find any plastic washers on the floor you couldnt identify

have done most areas of Wales over the years - cottages and camping - no real plan aiming for Snowdonia 1st then up to Llyn peninsula and Anglsea then back around the coast heading south
Let me know if you require any tips for the south I might be able to help. And let’s hope the weather improves a bit.

I had to cancel our Norway trip :( best I managed was a trip to visit the folks from KombiLife (youtube) on Saturday, saw some quite interesting vehicles from 1970s military land rovers to split screens to modern sprinters. Quite fun but not very exciting.

Sorry to hear of your cancelled trip. I’m exciting to see Bommerang tho, really enjoyed last seasons KombiLife.

Everyone’s depressed, and saving coin for a T6.1 :eek:

Heading to Switzerland thenItaly then ferry to Croatia up to Slovenia and who know where to for the last week. Can't wait

Good afternoon,

We will start our holiday on Friday 12/07 taking the ferry from Dublin to Cherbourg. Here is the rest of the trip:

We need to catch the ferry on the 01/08 in Santander. From Cork back home do Kildare.

Can't wait :pinkbanana

Regards,
Eberhard

Good afternoon,

We will start our holiday on Friday 12/07 taking the ferry from Dublin to Cherbourg. Here is the rest of the trip:

View attachment 46436

We need to catch the ferry on the 01/08 in Santander. From Cork back home do Kildare.

Can't wait :pinkbanana

Regards,
Eberhard
Das ist wirklich eine lange Strecke Eber.
If you'd have gone more north and taken more of Holland i would say that
was one of Adolfs plans. :Iamsorry:Iamsorry
That is a big trip though, how many kms is it?