Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Earth shunt

C

caliharry

VIP Member
I am reading a lot about "Earth Shunt" is this a wind up as no one has actually described what it is? can anyone help. I have a 2006 California and leisure battery problems see my other posts
caliharry :sad

The shunt problem is a very real problem, effecting all older Cali's built until Fall 2009, it seems.

There is a huge thread on it on the German T5-board, and an improved earth cable set available in the German Caliboard shop. VW dealers can order that set under special conditions (detailed on the site). You can also place the earth shunt cable yourself, but it is quite a cumbersome process: you have to remove the fridge, the shunt is all underneath...

There are detailed instructions in the download
Section

Another way is to saw a hole through the "wall" at the rear laisure battery :p

I havent changed the earth shaunt but the "Battery charge control measuring resistor".

I am sure I am going to have to fit the modified earth shunt to my 2006 cali, I have 2 brand new leisure batterys fitted showing 100% @12.9 volts,
My parking heater works fine while the engine is running,
If I operate the heater while the engine is not running the battery voltage soon drops to 12.5volts @50% and the heater doesn't fire up , if I then start the engine the heater will then operate.
Is there anywhere in the UK that I can obtain the parts for the Mod, and possible part numbers,

I am sure the mod has not been done but have not stripped it out yet, I can only think this must be the fault as the 2 leisure batterys are brand new and fully charged

V-tec , have you tryed to reset the roofdisplay , hold down the back button for arround 30 sec....
It is worth a try as it is possible the display still thinks theres a problem ...it just resets the earler faults....
Could be nothing but who knows.
As posted elswhere i was at aworkshop at VW and they told us that can help when something strange ouccurs even when nothing seems wrong , reset the display ...

V-tec , have you tryed to reset the roofdisplay , hold down the back button for arround 30 sec....
It is worth a try as it is possible the display still thinks theres a problem ...it just resets the earler faults....
Could be nothing but who knows.
As posted elswhere a was at i workshop at VW and they told us that can help when something strange ouccurs even when nothing seems wrong , reset the display ...

Hi hotel California,
I will give that a try tomorrow night when I get home from work, nothing to loose by trying,

I wanted to download the earth shunt mod, But don't want a pay pal account, But cant find any other details on the mod,

Think you mean downloads here on the forum?
You need to be VIP member , afther paying the membership one gets acces to that section of the forum , and other benefits like discounts....
Have you tryed google?
As for the exact problem with the earth shunt i am not up to date , and unfortunatly can't help much on that...

Think you mean downloads here on the forum?
You need to be VIP member , afther paying the membership one gets acces to that section of the forum , and other benefits like discounts....
Have you tryed google?
As for the exact problem with the earth shunt i am not up to date , and unfortunatly can't help much on that...
I will join VIP and just doing a google now

Hi.

Here are my solution for eccess the "Eart shunt".

Used a smal mettal saw and a drill.

Eystein

bilde.JPG

Thanks Eystein,
I will have a look tonight when i get home from work

I guess that if I don't have the extra wire on the earth terminal,that means the shunt mod has not been done,

Thanks, Eystein. That seems to make the operation much more easy.
Q: Did you menage to attatch the new cable to the seatbelt mounting point from there ?
Paal

What is right.
The Earth Shunt is:
The Brown cable) See abow. as people refere to http://www.vwcamper.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p50_Caliground.html

Or is it the "Battery charge control measuring resistor N162" reffers at page 42 in the Manual California pdt?

PS: The brown cable are mounted on inside the hole.
Hi can you be more specific...I'm not technical...and just wondered...You drilled /made the round hole in your PHOTO...passed the ground through and fixed it to WHAT ?? the body work on a metal base or something ?...thanks...

Back