Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Easter weekend hiccup!!

Del Boy

Del Boy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Pulled into our campsite at camusdarach near mallaig , after a drive down from the Isle of Skye and as setting up camp the roof desided to blow a lifting ram !! Not good as looking in the tool kit provided no screwdriver. Not good unimpressed!
Not to be beaten after a great weekend break, the Swiss Army knife came to the rescue , a quick read at the instruction manual a bit of French an the roof was down.
Not to spoil the weekend I’m glad to say , but think a few other Cali owners might struggle with the procedure.
Van will be back at Vw next week for sure.

Thats not good at all.
What happened to the ram ? did it blow oil out ?

In my tool kit fixed to the rear of the bench seat there is a dual screwdriver, pozi and slotted.
Have you fixed the roof down with the tie down straps ?

Sorry to hear this, you made me go out and check my tool box prior to our trip away tomorrow and thankfully we do have a double ended screwdriver in ours too

Looked all over the tool kit no screwdriver found ! Only jack wheel brace and removable tow bar , not impressed. As I say thankful for the Swiss Army knife .
The later part of holding the roof down is the simple part. That an having to help the good side down, even with the pressure released from th system .
There was no oil , I think the system is compressed air . Fitting the tie down straps was simple.
Last night was a bit of a squeeze with the roof down, but we still had a fabulous weekend

Looked all over the tool kit no screwdriver found ! Only jack wheel brace and removable tow bar , not impressed. As I say thankful for the Swiss Army knife .
The later part of holding the roof down is the simple part. That an having to help the good side down, even with the pressure released from th system .
There was no oil , I think the system is compressed air . Fitting the tie down straps was simple.
Last night was a bit of a squeeze with the roof down, but we still had a fabulous weekend
The screwdriver is normally pushed into the hollow tubular handle of the wheel brace.

Yes you are quite right , due to the mess on my drive from the drain holes the system definitely has hydraulic fluid !
Sad thing is it has taken two days and many phone calls to the dealer in Edinburgh, just to get it booked in for repair. And I have to leave it for the week with no curtisy vehicle supplied,so a 160 mile round trip for the good lady to get me back home.
Hopefully it will be a better repair than the last efforts!

Hmm, I asked for a courtesy vehicle last week when I thought mine would going in. They said yes but also said if I went via VW Assist, that VW would take it in sooner, than they could book it in. VW bloke confirmed it would have been uplifted the same day as his visit.

If you still have cover, would VW Assist cover the roof? At least it would save you a journey? I'd be asking the question.

Yes jay586 our van is covered under warranty until 2021 as we took an extra 2 years on to of the manufacturing warranty . We have sent an email to the dealer in Edinburgh, suggesting we are intitled to a vehicle whilst ours is in for repair.
After all if it were a £60000 car you would take it for granted a vehicle of such like would be provided in the event of a major repair!
We await an answer from said dealer , but won’t hold my breath.

Good luck.

I would kick up a fuss with VW customer services if they continue to be difficult.

My feeling about Edinburgh is that they are very commercial-orientated, probably doesn't help. Mind you, not been there for a few years.

Where do the tie down straps live. I have not found any in my van.

Where do the tie down straps live. I have not found any in my van.
Could be in a plastic bag where the jack is kept.
But i think i put mine there years ago after finding them in
a door pocket or with the gas stuff.
But they do come in a plastic sandwich bag.:thumb

Sorry for the delayed respons , I found mine in a plastic bag in the cutlery drawer