Roof failure

SusiBus

SusiBus

2-pedal power Peppa Pig trike
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Where is the highest, remotest, most exposed place that you can have the electric roof to fail when wild camping? Well, I think the Bealach na Gaoithe pass, east of Torridon in the NW Highlands of Scotland must be a contender!
We were ready to move on in the morning and the roof wouldn’t retract! Oh, s..t! What do we do now? :eek:
1. Phone VW Assist – yes, they would get to us, but realistically couldn’t guarantee when – understandably.
2. Not wanting to wait all day for the RAC, step 2 - refer to handbook and follow manual closing procedure but the central control panel just won’t come out – what to do now? :?:
3. Ask the audience – no audience, not even sheep want to be up here, there’s no grass.
4. Phone a friend (at least being high up it was one of the rare places we could get a mobile signal). “Hello, is that Alex at SMG? I’ve got a bit of a problem!” Alex talked me through the procedure, but basically it is as it says in the book, although you have to be very careful not to cause damage removing the unit. The secret was, I discovered, to use a thin knife to ease the unit out of the top surround because as well as retaining clips on each side, there are two fixing lugs at the top which also need to be released before the unit will come out. Yes, the hydraulic fluid drain screw is there, but hidden beneath yellow foam.
Lessons learned:
1. Calis are a bit like their older brothers – Splitties and Bays – not adverse to giving you the odd roadside drama, and not always a flat battery!
2. Yes, you can with great care get the control unit out with just a knife and the screwdriver provided in the tool kit. Note - it is double ended.
3. Make sure you have the VW Roadside Assistance number (0800 777 172) with you, or call VW (8am-5pm) (0800 717131) for the nearest Van Centre. (There is no printed list of van dealerships available).
4. Make sure you have got the emergency strap down kit with you – it’s not much use in the garage at home.
5. VW Hawco Van Centre in Inverness is really helpful.
6. How great it is to have the back up of Alex and SMG. He found the telephone number of the nearest van dealer for us which enabled us to set up the repair in advance of us arriving at the dealers. He even phoned us back a couple of hours later to make sure we were sorted – how many dealers would do that? Very many thanks, Alex.

:thanks

Our worse fears, hope it is fixed soon keep us posted

Great post. And a good reminder for the rest of us. I hope you are sorted ASAP and the rest of the adventure is, well, a little less adventurous!

This post prompted me to check my emergency tie down kit and now I find out I only have 1
So thanks for the post I now need to get hold of another I have 2 straps but only 1 kit :headbang

I think you only need two straps - both at the front.

Is this all I should have then :?: I have this with 2 straps

image.jpg

I agree, I think you only need two straps at the front. I did have an extra one, but you can’t attach one on the rear off-side anyway if you’ve got a roll out awning. I speed tested the straps ability to keep the roof in place due to time pressure to get to the van dealers in Inverness, not in a silly way, they passed! :thumb

Two of each of those is all you need and you’re ready for roof failure. :crazy

Hi
I have a T5 with a California conversion inside. It's not perfect but was a bit cheaper to buy- just got back from a tour around Europe and yes the roof was stuck when we were due to leave Grindlewald in Switzerland - I did manage to get to the screw to let roof down but had to break two lugs doing it - why oh why do they use torx screws when my Swiss Army knife doesn't do them !! - didn't have tie down kit and gusts of wind did lift the front of the roof a couple of times which was quite scary! Eventually secured it with duck tape which also kept the console in place - worth carrying in bits of kit to keep in van all the time I think . Luckily van was almost flawless otherwise over 2350 miles which I'm pleased about having had front drive shaft shear £400 and loom under rocker cover £600 both go in last 2 months ! Indicated mpg for 2.5 engine was 36.5 on main run through France - usually does about 30mpg - will get my receipts and mileage to work out properly - was doing 63 mph ( on GPS) although speedo was 66. Went faster on way home -70mph plus and was getting indicated 33 mpg - filled up in Luxembourg at 1.2 or so euros per litre and livigno, Italy for around 1.3 euros/ litre- autoroute diesel was around 1.45 euros/ litre.

My roof refused to lower this morning on the balmy Essex coast. That centre console is a nightmare to get out. Even the VW tech had fun. Tried the knife thing but lacked the courage! Roof now down manually and limping home with two bits of Velcro holding the whole rattling roof on lol. Nice bank holiday adventure for us and the dogs. VW tech couldn't have been more helpful, unlike whoever designed the console never to come out.

Should there be a strap down kit with a cali as standard or is it extra? I cant see one anywhere?
Yes, there should be one. The Shop sells replacements.

So sorry to hear of your drama Graham. Hope you got sorted asap and yes has, reading this, got me diving into my Cali to see if I have my strap in a sensible place just in case.........

Last edited:
Well, I must have been very logical when I packed the Cali last summer:D. Where to find the roof tie down kit? Should be with the guy ropes and tie down kit for the awning/s says my BH. Of course it should I say. A quick look and at the bottom of an IKEA soft drawer divider, in the rear N/S quarter, is a Cali roof tie down kit!:)
It looks like our Cali came with two kits - see below. Here's to not needing them but at least I (and my BH) know where they are!
TieDownKit.JPG

Well, I must have been very logical when I packed the Cali last summer:D. Where to find the roof tie down kit? Should be with the guy ropes and tie down kit for the awning/s says my BH. Of course it should I say. A quick look and at the bottom of an IKEA soft drawer divider, in the rear N/S quarter, is a Cali roof tie down kit!:)
It looks like our Cali came with two kits - see below. Here's to not needing them but at least I (and my BH) know where they are!
View attachment 32500
Rik , that are not two kits but the actual kit .....one strap on each side .
Did you not see my video on how to use it?
On the awning side there is less space.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/emergency-roof-tie-down-kit.14925/#post-160405

Has anyone noticed that you can´t use the strap down kit on the side
where the awning is fitted.

Rik , that are not two kits but the actual kit .....one strap on each side .
Did you not see my video on how to use it?
On the awning side there is less space.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/emergency-roof-tie-down-kit.14925/#post-160405

Wim, thanks for the clarification but I didn't have time just now to look out your video (will look now!) but I was a little worried that others seemed to think that one strap was the complete kit - for me it was obvious/expected that one would need a strap on both sides. Anyway, all is good. Clarity comes this forum. It's a breathing entity!!