Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Eco toilet

L

laurao

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi there. I have read a few threads on camping toilets and had a look online...

- I'm put off the portapotti by the chemicals (I know there are eco chemicals but still would rather avoid the use of chemicals for several reasons)... husband wondered if it was possible to use without the chemicals (will be smellier, I get that, but will everything get stuck inside and wouldn't be able to clean it?)
- I'm put off the kampa khazi style by the size
- I'm put off the pop-a-loo by the use of single use carrier bags

So my best idea is currently
The foldable commode like this, with a collapsible bucket with a lid underneath
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MSOWG7U/?tag=eliteelect-21

I also wondered about a sort of children's potty that was adult-bum sized (as in something you'd squat on rather than a throne type one)... I have yet to find this so let me know if it does exist!!

Any thoughts? If you don't use a chemical toilet, can you still dispose of it in grey waste? Or would we have to go tip it down the toilet?

Thanks!

Hi there. I have read a few threads on camping toilets and had a look online...

- I'm put off the portapotti by the chemicals (I know there are eco chemicals but still would rather avoid the use of chemicals for several reasons)... husband wondered if it was possible to use without the chemicals (will be smellier, I get that, but will everything get stuck inside and wouldn't be able to clean it?)
- I'm put off the kampa khazi style by the size
- I'm put off the pop-a-loo by the use of single use carrier bags

So my best idea is currently
The foldable commode like this, with a collapsible bucket with a lid underneath
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MSOWG7U/?tag=eliteelect-21

I also wondered about a sort of children's potty that was adult-bum sized (as in something you'd squat on rather than a throne type one)... I have yet to find this so let me know if it does exist!!

Any thoughts? If you don't use a chemical toilet, can you still dispose of it in grey waste? Or would we have to go tip it down the toilet?

Thanks!
We have the 335, the only chemicals used are the eco flush fluid, practically fragrance free and is acceptable in all black water waste disposal systems. We only ever use the system for number 1s except when the toddler grand children needs are urgent then it is emptied asap. A collapsible bucket is a disaster waiting to happen but if you like a challenge go for it.

Thanks - why do you think it would be a disaster waiting to happen - in case it gets kicked over? I reckon if we're putting it in a pop tent that's unlikely and it would be somewhat protected from that by the legs of the stool?

I don't really want to use the eco chemicals either, I don't want to put unnecessary chemicals into the environment and the plastic they come in, plus I've seen someone mentioned their toilet leaked the chemicals into their van and it stinks of chemicals now.

Thanks - why do you think it would be a disaster waiting to happen - in case it gets kicked over? I reckon if we're putting it in a pop tent that's unlikely and it would be somewhat protected from that by the legs of the stool?

I don't really want to use the eco chemicals either, I don't want to put unnecessary chemicals into the environment and the plastic they come in, plus I've seen someone mentioned their toilet leaked the chemicals into their van and it stinks of chemicals now.
There is a world of difference between the traditional formaldehyde based toilet chemicals and the current crop of eco and in our case just rinse type diluted fluids. We have used a collapsible bucket on our boat and hey it collapsed when full of water, all solutions are good but have their own compromises.

Simplest I have seen courtesy of builders on a site temporarily without a loo was a sturdy black plastic builder's bucket with the top lined using the yellow tubing that you see wrapped round scaffolding poles in the street. No chemicals. It seemed to work, but I never did see the disposal arrangements.

Simplest I have seen courtesy of builders on a site temporarily without a loo was a sturdy black plastic builder's bucket with the top lined using the yellow tubing that you see wrapped round scaffolding poles in the street. No chemicals. It seemed to work, but I never did see the disposal arrangements.
Obvs single use!