Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

EGR failure AGAIN & software update

W

WendyHope

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hello, I am looking for advice . We purchased our VW California in Feb 2019 from a VW dealership. When it was just out of warranty in Sept 2021 the EGR cooler went at a cost of ~£1500. We had the work done, fitted a genuine VW approved part and less than 3 years later the EGR has gone again, this time we have been quoted £1800. We have not yet had the work done, its a lot of money and we are annoyed, surely a quality part should last longer, we can not afford to get this part replaced every 2/3 years.

I have since learnt that in October 2022 our California was due a software update. We have been in contact with our local VW garage since this time and have never been informed of the need to update any software. The reason for the software update is because the European Court of Justice took VW to court and said that their software was not communicating correctly with the emission control systems, which include the EGR valve, and the European Court of Justice decision says that software updates have a direct impact on the functioning of emission-related components. It all seems to be about the ambient temperature, which because we live in the UK means that we are often below the temperature at which the EGR will be functioning correctly. This now adds to my feeling that the EGR the first one and second one was not fit for purpose.

I have of course gone to VW and its like a brick wall. The part is out of warranty and they said it was our responsibility to check for updates (even though we had been to a VW dealership during this period of time, yet because we were not going to the garage for an emissions related problem they did not need to tell us about the update! Therefore I have no idea how they expected us to know this information).

Any tips on how I get over that brick wall and get VW to take responsibility for this?
Thank you :)

Save yourself some money and get the EGR blanked off + EGR delete (software).

Drop below an email:

Tamfet it.... Note that one benefit of manufacturer servicing is the fact that they should apply manufacturer's updates.

VW....good luck but they won't be interested

Save yourself some money and get the EGR blanked off + EGR delete (software).

Drop below an email:

Yes I have read about this. Does this just release the emissions into the air...

Thank you for the reply :)

Tamfet it.... Note that one benefit of manufacturer servicing is the fact that they should apply manufacturer's updates.

VW....good luck but they won't be interested
Do we really need to do this? How normal is it for an EGR to last less than 3 years in a VW van? If we do not Tamfet it, then should we be expecting it to fail in 3 years again.

VW do not care. Apparently quality parts = less than 3 years. They have all the power and I have none.

Did you ever refer to the Financial or Motor Ombudsman. If they can’t repair after one attempt the vehicle could be rejected. As you reported in warranty does that not give you some bargaining ground?

Yes I have read about this. Does this just release the emissions into the air...

Thank you for the reply :)
The EGR takes some of the exhaust gases and recirculates this back into the engine. Obviously there will be a reduction in emissions as you're burning it again. On the plus side the engine runs cleaner and uses less fuel. I would say mine is 8% plus better on fuel.

Hello, I am looking for advice . We purchased our VW California in Feb 2019 from a VW dealership. When it was just out of warranty in Sept 2021 the EGR cooler went at a cost of ~£1500. We had the work done, fitted a genuine VW approved part and less than 3 years later the EGR has gone again, this time we have been quoted £1800. We have not yet had the work done, its a lot of money and we are annoyed, surely a quality part should last longer, we can not afford to get this part replaced every 2/3 years.

I have since learnt that in October 2022 our California was due a software update. We have been in contact with our local VW garage since this time and have never been informed of the need to update any software. The reason for the software update is because the European Court of Justice took VW to court and said that their software was not communicating correctly with the emission control systems, which include the EGR valve, and the European Court of Justice decision says that software updates have a direct impact on the functioning of emission-related components. It all seems to be about the ambient temperature, which because we live in the UK means that we are often below the temperature at which the EGR will be functioning correctly. This now adds to my feeling that the EGR the first one and second one was not fit for purpose.

I have of course gone to VW and its like a brick wall. The part is out of warranty and they said it was our responsibility to check for updates (even though we had been to a VW dealership during this period of time, yet because we were not going to the garage for an emissions related problem they did not need to tell us about the update! Therefore I have no idea how they expected us to know this information).

Any tips on how I get over that brick wall and get VW to take responsibility for this?
Thank you :)
You might like to have a look at this