Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

EGR valve failure

VECali

VECali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
hi all. Just had a EGR valve failure on my 61 plate 180 DSG and I've been quoted £1650 to get it repaired. Is this correct???? Seems a bit steep from some of the threads I've read but I'm not in a strong bargaining position as my Cali had to be received to the dealership! Any advice appreciated

it is a while ago since I have seen/recall any posts about a 180 EGR valve replacement cost . Price and parts may have gone up. Have a ring around to another dealer to check costs,

The 140 and 180 EGR valves are different. To replace the EGR valve on a 140 takes about 1.5 hours To replace the EGR valve on a 180 takes around 8 hours,

hi all. Just had a EGR valve failure on my 61 plate 180 DSG and I've been quoted £1650 to get it repaired. Is this correct???? Seems a bit steep from some of the threads I've read but I'm not in a strong bargaining position as my Cali had to be received to the dealership! Any advice appreciated
Unfortunately, about right for the 180 as most of the front end has to be removed, including moving of radiator, intercooler and AirCon condenser to get to the EGR valve. Substantial labour costs?.
How many miles have you done?
There is some Internet Chatter about the EGR valve and cooler, normally 1 unit, on the 2010/11 180 engines being responsible for heavy oil usage. Some owners of that vintage 180 are changing their valves electively to the later D version valve/cooler.

Only done 31k so a bit miffed at having to pay out so much for a repair on what is still a relatively new engine. Appreciate the posts though guys. Having spoken to other dealers I think I'm just going to have to grin and bear it!

Have a look at previous threads on this subject, EGR valve failure is a well known and recognized problem, I paid considerably less than the price initially quoted by my local dealership.

As Welshgas's post, if you've not already read the threads on high oil consumption on the 180 engine, now is a good time. Try and establish the suffix of the failed egr valve, and ensure the replacement is a /D suffix. It may make the bill easier to swallow.

As the failure of the valve is (let's say) "not unknown", I'd be seeking some goodwill from the dealer / vw.

That is about right for the dealers to charge.

As WG has said the whole of the front end of the body with various radiators and heat exchanges have to come off to access the EGR valve/cooler assembly. So a good day's work with some expensive parts to pay for.

If you want a 3 year warranty, the the dealer is the only way to go. If you are happy to get a cheaper job done with probably only 1 years warranty then your local VW independent garage will be just as good. The official VW parts will be much the same price but the labour charge will be less.

Alan

Our 5+ years old, 64k miles, 180 blew its EGR valve recently. Lots of oil went into the coolant system, and lots of water into the oil system. A long AA transport back to Inverness was followed by a £2500 bill at the VW van centre to flush out the systems and replace various parts. The valve bit was £700 plus, and the labour £900, for a 12-hour job. The good news was that the engine was undamaged. A bit sad for an engine this young.