Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

EGR valve now £800!?

Yes, it would stop all the fragments from the cooling fins from entering the cylinders. Whether this would 100% prevent the high oil usage and eventual engine failure is not entirely known but, in my opinion, this is probably the main cause.

Yes, it would stop all the fragments from the cooling fins from entering the cylinders. Whether this would 100% prevent the high oil usage and eventual engine failure is not entirely known but, in my opinion, this is probably the main cause.
Can you explain why the majority of 180s affected are 2010/12 models, when VW themselves admitted there was a problem with the CFCA engine from that era.

The modified/coated "D" suffix EGR cooler was not introduced until 2015 and, as VW Guru has said in a previous post, this is when the CFCA engine oil consumption issue was finally formally resolved.

I would suspect that fitting blanking plates on the EGR valve on a 2013 van would now be too late. Probably needed to be done when the van was first purchased to be certain. Stable doors and horses bolting come to mind!

Alan

Not sure anyone can explain it entirely as VW don't exactly publish the details but @Vw guru probably has the best source of info on this. There have certainly been plenty of vans post 2010/12 exhibiting the problem and needing new engines. Perhaps the 2010/12 ones had other issues with the cylinders that increased the risk or made the issue occur more quickly. Who knows!?!

As @AlanC said, unless it has a very low mileage, a 2013 is very likely to have already sustained some damage. However, I still think preventing any further particles from getting into the engine could at least slow the problem down and perhaps prevent the need for an engine replacement for longer.

Had mine done last week and cost £1000+VAT at my trusted VW Independent technician near Brighton. Took five hours in total. Not charged for diagnostic as only took 5 mins.

View attachment 40171
Any chance of sharing who your independent technician is?

Not sure anyone can explain it entirely as VW don't exactly publish the details but @Vw guru probably has the best source of info on this. There have certainly been plenty of vans post 2010/12 exhibiting the problem and needing new engines. Perhaps the 2010/12 ones had other issues with the cylinders that increased the risk or made the issue occur more quickly. Who knows!?!

As @AlanC said, unless it has a very low mileage, a 2013 is very likely to have already sustained some damage. However, I still think preventing any further particles from getting into the engine could at least slow the problem down and perhaps prevent the need for an engine replacement for longer.

Basics of it are that it was originally suspected that the piston rings were carboning up and sticking causing the oil to bypass the piston and be burnt however this was disproved and it was finally confirmed that the cylinder bores were wearing due to aluminum oxide getting into the cylinders from a failing egr cooler. This failure is caused by a chemical reaction between the exhaust gases and the aluminum egr cooling fins inside the cooler. The best way to check if there is signs of damage starting would be to have the engine oil sent away for analysis and see if it has a high aluminum content indicating a failure. I’ve see damage as low as 20k but I’ve also seen it at the other end of the scale so there are a lot of variables as to when the cooler starts to erode

Both or neither is what I was told by my anti upsell ex VW tech. Removing DPF internals is an MOT fail and also an eco crime.. IMO
Surely an eco crime is scrapping loads of engines that have done very little mileage like the diesels of old. How much carbon is put out building and shipping an engine from an engine plant. The waste is ridiculous. Perfectly good cranks pistons engine block etc scrapped due to eco bull shite. Not to mention the cost to the driver. The longer something lasts is better for the planet. Throw away society is now including diesel engines. Madness

Basics of it are that it was originally suspected that the piston rings were carboning up and sticking causing the oil to bypass the piston and be burnt however this was disproved and it was finally confirmed that the cylinder bores were wearing due to aluminum oxide getting into the cylinders from a failing egr cooler. This failure is caused by a chemical reaction between the exhaust gases and the aluminum egr cooling fins inside the cooler. The best way to check if there is signs of damage starting would be to have the engine oil sent away for analysis and see if it has a high aluminum content indicating a failure. I’ve see damage as low as 20k but I’ve also seen it at the other end of the scale so there are a lot of variables as to when the cooler starts to erode
Shame the cylinders could not be bored oversized or fitted with sleeves as was normal practice years ago, massive waste of money to totally replace an engine.

Shame the cylinders could not be bored oversized or fitted with sleeves as was normal practice years ago, massive waste of money to totally replace an engine.

The problem is the manufacturing tolerance is so tight these days we can’t do anything we even have to throw cylinder heads away as you can’t do anything with them. I totally agreed with you it’s a massive waste of money and materials.

There's a company, Retro Resus, in Bridgwater that does just that. Rebores and fits oversized pistons. They've done several T5.1 Bi-turbos and it seems the owners are happy with the results. The only trouble is, is costs just about as much as a new engine.
https://www.facebook.com/retroresus/posts/1827608310887498

Last edited:
I have an 61 plate SE180 and yesterday it lost power on motorway - roadside assist said it was faulty EGR valve - anyone know of good VW mechanics in SE London? Many thanks...

I have an 61 plate SE180 and yesterday it lost power on motorway - roadside assist said it was faulty EGR valve - anyone know of good VW mechanics in SE London? Many thanks...
Top man just outside Shoreham in Sussex, if you can’t find more local.

If VW have now basically confirmed that the early EGR valves are the cause then IMO the vehicle was not fit for purpose. Similar situation to the roof corrosion fiasco so why are people getting charged a ridulous ammount for a new engine. There should be a very substantial discount. Also I think new turbos should be fitted as obviousy all the crap is going through them before entering the engine.

Top man just outside Shoreham in Sussex, if you can’t find more local.
Could you send me the details pleas of your man in Shoreham? Skewif never said who was his independent technician isn't?
Thanks in advance

Had mine done last week and cost £1000+VAT at my trusted VW Independent technician near Brighton. Took five hours in total. Not charged for diagnostic as only took 5 mins.

View attachment 40171
any chance to know who is your VW Independent technician near Brighton? Much appreciate it!

Has enybody stripped down and repaired anEGR valve my local garage cleans them and puts them back on,I'm Shure there is a u tube video.

Has enybody stripped down and repaired anEGR valve my local garage cleans them and puts them back on,I'm Shure there is a u tube video.
My guy tried it on mine, gave it a good clean out but the
sensors were bolloxed so had a new one fitted.

Just about to buy a 2012 T5 SE 180 with 20k + miles on the clock, should I get the RAC to run the rule over it?

Just about to buy a 2012 T5 SE 180 with 20k + miles on the clock, should I get the RAC to run the rule over it?
Yes.
Check that ALL the required service items have been completed. Although it has only done 20,000 miles there are some substantial service items that have Time or Milage requirements.
eg: Cambelt & Waterpump, 4 yrs or 80,000 miles
DSG oil change, 2 yrs or 60,000 miles I think
Brake/Clutch fluid 3 yrs
Haldex, if 4 Motion, 2 yrs
Check with VW for actual requirements

Brake Pads and Disks should be examined carefully as there is a possibility of corrosion having not been used very much.

Low milage vehicles seem good but these are commercial vans and standing around could be problematic so check carefully or you could have some hefty bills.
If the above service items have not been done then negotiate hard so you are not left out of pocket.

You should establish which version of the egr cooler it has (no suffix / a / b / c or d) then read and understand the oil consumption thread.

You should establish which version of the egr cooler it has (no suffix / a / b / c or d) then read and understand the oil consumption thread.