Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

EGR..........Valve..........

BerndRos

BerndRos

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hope I can get some advice as I need to get the van up together before the warranty expires.......

When I came back from travels in march I had a list of about 15 items for repair and van is now at the dealers for attention.

Main concern is as follows......

1. Since almost from new and to this day when driving I hear what can only be described as a mechanical ' Grrr ' noise which is for about a second but happens very often.

2. When the van was 18 months old the glow plug warning light came on and van went into limp mode. VW in Czech Republic fitted a new EGR....to my 180DSG

3. Since then from time to time the glow plug warning light comes on and van goes into limp mode. If I stop, turn engine on and back on it clears itself and it drives ok.

4. Now the warning light is on indicating a catalytic converter problem.

As I say van is at VW for this and the other things to be dealt with, VW Plympton, Toby there is a good guy and knows his stuff.

Any ideas on all I say above.....and the likely work needed.....?....as I don't want this problem coming back after the warranty expires......

Is this one for you Stu...?

Could be so many things.....
Is the catalytic converter light the one that looks like an engine/gearbox? I had that one along with the flashing glow plug light. It was explained to me that it just meant that a fault had been logged in the ecu.
In my case it was just an exhaust temp sensor.
Hope you get it sorted anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

As you've found cycling the ignition will release the limp mode until the next event that can result in limp mode happens. It's not good practice and the cause of the problem should be found ASAP.

As above the occurrence should be stored in the fault code memory and the dealers should be able to read and diagnose the issue.

Am told they are fitting another EGR valve on Monday.......that's the second one........

They have to get to the bottom of the........Grrrr.......noise though.....

Have you been able to place any specific action or activity that causes the noise?

Stu.......yes......on a run at constant speed/revs it does not happen much.......but around town it happens every few minutes.....

On the vwt4forum there is much talk of fitting a EGR plate which I believe blocks of the EGR valve completely.From my limited knowledge, the function of the EGR is to dump waste gases back into the engine.
Apparently this is a very cheap and easy DIY job and results in better performance.

Can anyone verify this and the implications it may have if fitted ? ( Probably not a consideration if you vehicle is still under warranty but for older vans out of warranty --- maybe ?. Has anyone done this to their van be it an bog standard T5 or a Cali ?

What are the pro's and con's

Thanks

Update of Strudels problems.........

Picked her up today, another EGR valve and infact a complete assembly fitted to include where the oil filter screws in, plus a new improved water pump. New oil and antifreeze. As its close to a service the mechanic says I have almost had a free service. Shudder to think what the cost would be if out of warranty.

Re the Grrrr noise they think its a vacuum issue as they have a TPI fault for it.

Van goes back in for this and about another 12 faults on 7th January, will be with them for about two weeks..............it took a real pasting on my 15 months away. Only started the engine twice since March, gonna sleep in it for a couple of nights this weekend.

VW Plympton......now has fabulous service, speak to Toby the Cali expert in the workshop, had an hour long meeting today re all the issues, felt they really cared. Superb.

Hi

We have had a Grrr noise for some months and sounds very similar to our side door's last bit of closing or louder version of a mobile vibrating.. You said your garage thought Grrrr noise was a vacuum issue as they have a TPI fault for it. Did that turn out to be the case?

Our glow plug started flashing yesterday and van went in to limp mode but was OK after stopping and starting up again .. will take it in to VW soon but be helpful to know if the two problems were any way connected? Thanks

There is a TPI for a mooing noise which is to do with replacing some vacuum hoses for the turbo control valves (you have two on a 180). We have found the best thing to do is to replace both valves and the pipework which has (for us) fixed the noise and intermittent limp home as well.

cheers

smgcowfold said:
There is a TPI for a mooing noise which is to do with replacing some vacuum hoses for the turbo control valves (you have two on a 180). We have found the best thing to do is to replace both valves and the pipework which has (for us) fixed the noise and intermittent limp home as well.

cheers

Mine went in for this a few weeks ago. Apparently on investigation both "N75" valves were fine it was all the rubber tubing that connects them all up that was the problem. It had all gone hard and brittle. All replaced with nice new rubber silicone pipes and the sound had gone ;-)

smgcowfold said:

cheers

Re: Grrrr noise or mooing noise . Alan Day City in London replaced two hoses 7E0129458M and N under warranty and all is well. Logged roof corrosion at same time and it is on the invoice. Thank you for your help.