Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

EHU at hime

Celia Vanchez

Celia Vanchez

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 199
We have two what appear to be EHU’s on our boundary wall and I wondered if I could hook up to our Coast. However this was not possible because the plug has to be screwed into the socket. The socket does say for non domestic use only.

Does anyone have a view on (a) would there be such as a connection bracket to the campers EHU and (b) whether the plug should not be used?

David

IMG_1419.jpeg

IMG_1420.jpeg

I wonder what it's supposed to be for? - never seen a socket like that before. I don't know anything about electricity so take no notice, but 5AMP seems on the low side?

Is it on the inside or outside of your boundary? - eg: does it connect to your own supply? If it's yours then you could look into swapping it for a more appropriate connection, subject to it being suitable supply etc.

That is a proper external socket don't change it! Its IP66 rated ( thats ok to point a hose at level of waterproofing) waterproof outlet & you used to be able to get the proper Lewden plugs to use in them, those plugs have a special screw in collar making the whole thing water proof. Lewdon stopped making that type in the 1970s.

5amp is too low to be plugging the cali into its usually a lighting circuit at 5 amps.

Is the socket actually live ?- if it's intended for external lighting I would expect it to be switched somewhere.

Last edited:
That is a proper external socket don't change it! Its IP66 rated ( thats ok to point a hose at level of waterproofing) waterproof outlet & you used to be able to get the proper Lewden plugs to use in them, those plugs have a special screw in collar making the whole thing water proof. Lewdon stopped making that type in the 1970s.

5amp is too low to be plugging the cali into its usually a lighting circuit at 5 amps.

Is the socket actually live ?- if it's intended for external lighting I would expect it to be switched somewhere.
If the socket goes back to the 1970s then the wiring will not be to spec. Get the professionals in to replace and get something that will work with the Cali.

Can you see the wire behind the socket, where does it terminate, what is the diameter of the wire, and what size fuse does it have.

I wonder what it's supposed to be for? - never seen a socket like that before. I don't know anything about electricity so take no notice, but 5AMP seems on the low side?

Is it on the inside or outside of your boundary? - eg: does it connect to your own supply? If it's yours then you could look into swapping it for a more appropriate connection, subject to it being suitable supply etc.
It’s on the outside of our garden wall and our neighbour has same but has no idea on it. There is the name of the manufacturer so I’ve emailed them in hope they may be able to provide some information

Can you see the wire behind the socket, where does it terminate, what is the diameter of the wire, and what size fuse does it have.
Sadly I can’t give you any answers and I can’t see anything the other side of the wall

If the socket goes back to the 1970s then the wiring will not be to spec. Get the professionals in to replace and get something that will work with the Cali.
Thank you. I’ll raise the point with my electrian the next time I need to call him out

Thank you for your very insightful reply which is appreciated

It’s on the outside of our garden wall and our neighbour has same but has no idea on it. There is the name of the manufacturer so I’ve emailed them in hope they may be able to provide some information
The manufacturer cannot help with that. The circuit needs to be traced and upgraded probably to a 16a circuit with rcd protection. Socket needs to be changed for a 16a commando/hookup socket or weatherproof 13a socket. If you are not sure what you have then you definitely need an electrician to sort this, test it and certify their work.

If it’s in the outside of your wall Is possible that it’s not actually yours? Could it be part of an old street lighting system?

Have you tested to see if it is actually live?

Back