Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ehu what exactly does it powe?

S

Scifidale

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all,

Quick question we have a 2019 beach, which didnt come with a manual. It has an EHU, but we are struggling to figure out what exactly it powers when we use it.

Obviously the 3 pin plug, but does it also power the 12v cigarette lights in the vehicle we have 4 of those one next to 3pin, one down right hand side of fold out bed, one in the boot and one in thr roof.

Does it also power all the interior lights, front and back.

Or does it power less than that but charges the leisure battery which those bits run from. Trying to figure out what exactly it does do to avoid potentially draining power from the starter battery or something like that.

Thanks in advance
Dale

Hi all,

Quick question we have a 2019 beach, which didnt come with a manual. It has an EHU, but we are struggling to figure out what exactly it powers when we use it.

Obviously the 3 pin plug, but does it also power the 12v cigarette lights in the vehicle we have 4 of those one next to 3pin, one down right hand side of fold out bed, one in the boot and one in thr roof.

Does it also power all the interior lights, front and back.

Or does it power less than that but charges the leisure battery which those bits run from. Trying to figure out what exactly it does do to avoid potentially draining power from the starter battery or something like that.

Thanks in advance
Dale
Welcome on board @Scifidale.

The EHU only provides direct power to the 3 pin Plug. Other than that, it charges the battery which in turn powers everything else. As a rule of thumb - everything ahead of the B-Pillar is the starter battery and everything behind the B-Pillar is the leisure battery. Hope that helps.

Plugging into the EHU also (it seems) trickle charges the starter battery - but all discussions have been inconclusive as on some vehicles it does and it seems on some it does not.

If it is any different on a beach, someone will be on here soon to correct me.

Ah ok thanks for that. I think i can tell you that our beach does not trickle charge the starter as we were camping once on EHU and had to get the AA out as the starter battery was flat. Been trying to work out what might have caused it to go flat only thing that really comes to mind is the front centre console roof lights that might have been or for a while as we had the van door open during the evening. Although wouldn't think they would drain a starter that quick.

Hence the question really, to see if anything behind the driver and passenger side is also powered by the starter but it sounds like as long as we don't use any cigarette lighter sockets or lights in the front of the cab everything else should be using the leisure battery?

Is that also true when travelling if the kids are in the bench seat and plug in their phones in the rear those that still use the leisure battery or does that use the starter?

Ah ok thanks for that. I think i can tell you that our beach does not trickle charge the starter as we were camping once on EHU and had to get the AA out as the starter battery was flat. Been trying to work out what might have caused it to go flat only thing that really comes to mind is the front centre console roof lights that might have been or for a while as we had the van door open during the evening. Although wouldn't think they would drain a starter that quick.

Hence the question really, to see if anything behind the driver and passenger side is also powered by the starter but it sounds like as long as we don't use any cigarette lighter sockets or lights in the front of the cab everything else should be using the leisure battery?

Is that also true when travelling if the kids are in the bench seat and plug in their phones in the rear those that still use the leisure battery or does that use the starter?
Every time you open the Drivers door , not only do the cab lights come On, but the Entertainment system starts powering up, it is basically a computer, but the screen won’t come on unless switched On or Ignition On. Also the engine fuel system pump pressurises the fuel system ready for engine start. These various systems take 10+ minutes to power down once the door is closed.

In answer to your last question. If the engine is running both starter and leisure batteries are being charged by the alternator. So no problem which sockets are used.

I’ve also got two usb plugs down the rhs of the drivers seat by the door/floor (it’s a beach 6.1) These are the other side of the b pillar but I assume leisure battery rather than driving battery due to their location (next to leisure battery under drivers seat). Can anyone confirm where they are powered from?

Back