Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric in awning

R

rob.wheeler

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Evening,

Might sound like a random question, but great to get your views/thoughts on the challenge at hand..

I have recently purchased a 2015 t5 beach and its great, love it and now just purchased a Vango Galli awning to give us a little more room. I have some 12v lights for the awning and currently running a cable in through a window to plug into a 12v socket.. Is this the same as others do? Just doesnt feel like the best option?

When I do have a site with electric, tend to split the electric one cable into the van and the other into the awning.. again good to get thoughts on what others do?

Thank you folks.

Cheers

There are some who have leds under the awning , don't know how the feed it.
Did you try and filter some words thru the search function?;)

There is a very good post from a guy called John (I think) but his icon is snoopy facing backwards on a dog house, I converted my Crusader hook up as he suggested and you get a totally safe RCD protected power in the awning plus it doesn't use a splitter which many camp sites forbid. I would do a search for you but HC may think I am treading on his toes. Just kidding HC

I have led light that I power from the 12v socket in the boot. The rubber seal around the boot it squidgy enough to allow the boot to be closed without pinching the wire.

When on hookup we do the same as you and split the power - one camping rcd in the tent and other half to van.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I have wired a small switch into the power feed to the rear overhead light. This feeds a small socket which we plug the LEDS for the rafter into (or any other 12v things we need) . Just thin two core cable so it just goes through the tailgate door seal.
If we want mains power in the awning then we have a multi 13amp socket board which has a normal power lead plug on. Then a short 3m length of cable with a square pin UK plug feeds the power into the van socket.
That way we get normal 13 amp sockets in the awning.

thank you so much folks, much appreciated.

Back