Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric Sliding Doors

A

AlanM

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hello
Having ordered electric sliding doors and then reading previous posts on here, I am having second thoughts. Problems seem to be:
1, Reliability.
2, The bleeping sound.
3, If turned off the door is very hard to slide.
4, Also I use a driveaway awning (Keela II) and on current van need to take car to prevent door fouling on connecting fabric. Auto door may therefore lead to damage.

So I am asking if anyone one has additional points to make based on their experience/knowledge of the electric door?
Also, would it be possible to restore the door to entirely normal operation if I found the electric sliding too complex/annoying and has anyone else done so?

Many thanks in advance. Alan

I've had both and even if the electric was a no cost option I would go manual every time.

As a dad with three kids jumping in and out of the van I've really appreciated having the electric door on my new van. No reliability issues yet. Of course it is something that could go wrong but I enjoy the convenience and have a 5year warranty for peace of mind.

I would agree, even as a no cost option I would have the manual every time.
We had lots reliability problems with the electric one. If switched off when well not on hook up i'ts very heavy to use. You can only have it either fully open, or fully closed if switcched on. If parked up off grid it can flatten the battery
Must say at first I thought it was very cool, but that soon wore off due to reliability prob's. I would add, if I had kid's that might change my view,

Many thanks. I had read the previous threads but they are from last March and May 2015 so I wondered if there were others who have had experience or ideas since.
I was wondering if it is certain that the bleeper can be turned off?
Also, if anyone had detached the motors to prevent the excessive force needed to open the door when electric operation turned off, ie permanent solution which might be revered?
Alan

Not seen it mentioned recently but there was an issue with the electric doors hitting the wheel arch.
Our first van had this problem and despite being back to the dealers a few times was never really solved.
Why it only affected the electric doors I dont know but there were quite a few members with the problem.
Never liked it though, noisy, and took longer to open than the manual doors. I can see the point on Caravelle or similar being used as a taxi etc but not on a camper.

I would prefer a manual sliding door every time however we have discovered one potential safety issue with the manual door on our Beech that is worth noting. We use our Beech mainly for carrying our young grandchildren around in. If facing down hill, my wife has found it to be very heavy to open and if you are not very careful it slams shut very rapidly like a massive guillotine. You have to be very careful with the little ones. The electric door may have its problems but at least it provides a controlled closure.

Last edited:
Yep mine hit the wheel arch. There is TB on the issue and includes manual doors. Door readjusted, rear arch painted 5 times.

Colour match fair but not great from certain viewing angles, lights. Can be light or dark compared to the rest of the Cali. Have looked at others and the colour match on the Candy White is odd here so may be inherent and due to the base. VW customer care is hmmmm useless.

Electric door can be a pain. Can have a wobble when shutting for no apparent reason. I've dragged it closed a few times in frustration.

It wouldnt be an option I would select again. Particularly not from VW.

Also had the sensitivity issue with the door and dogs. Not from new but after the repair.

Just to put the other point of view - I'm really grateful for the electric door. Having arthritis and what my OH calls 'O.L.D.' it saves me a lot of effort.

Oh and it's really cool to press the remote button so it opens as I walk towards it, specially if there's someone watching! ;)

Back