Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric kettle?

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
We used an awful lot of gas heating up water last year, often when we had hook up (!)
Can anyone recommend a decent small kettle I can but online?!

Cheers!

Blimey how much tea do you drink :lol:
We lasted our 1st 907 bottle over a year, kettle used at least every other day for a cuppa and about 4 weeks away

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 229289.htm

Here is a link for a small kettle at Argos, just £9.99
Just beware that the very small ones only make a scant 2 cups.

We also use a small toaster, cheap crockpot from tesco and a small fan heater. We do take these things out when we go abroad, and rely just on the gas. For weight and space really.

Tip. We always had a flask and top it up when we boil a kettle so we always have nearly-hot water.

The 'Big blue kettle' is available at most motorway service areas especially Welcome Break it's a. 12 volt version of the 'Big red kettle' (24v) that I've had for nearly 3 years and it's never let me down.

Alasdair

HY09UMU said:
Blimey how much tea do you drink :lol:
We lasted our 1st 907 bottle over a year, kettle used at least every other day for a cuppa and about 4 weeks away

We had five weeks away with our two kids. Kettle boiled for coffees, teas and for cooking pasta/rice most days. We got through gas very quickly!

Thanks all - will check them all out!

After two years of Cali ownership, I think I am finally getting the hang of things. And that all important space versus utility balancing act that campervans represent.

I have found that a huge amount of time is wasted by us boiling water with gas. We would boil once for two decent mugs of coffee, then a second time to fill our 1 litre stainless flask that fits in the front door pockets

We were using a wacky practical kettle, which is a superb design but the compact base is not ideal for fast boiling. In addition to taking ages any gas device always represents a fire risk (especially when you just set up camp and unpacking things), and heats up the van.

I now take two kettles. Wacky for gas. And a breville vkj111 compact jug for hook-up.

This costs £20 and offers a 1500 watt element. 1 litre capacity. Auto shut off. Kettle lifts off the base. It glows blue when on, cord storage in base, it is quite resilient to being knocked over too...... And it takes exactly 4 minutes to boil a litre.

Many compact kettles have puny electric elements that take ages. But for us, this had the right balance of power versus size.

I would never pay extra for a hook up just to use the kettle, but I find it much easier and quicker than gas. Stored in boot when travelling.