Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric sliding door

E

Edhardy

Agonising over the options list prior to ordering my new California, I've come to the electric sliding door.

This looks very cool, and whenever I've had this feature on MPVs I've rented in the past it's been brilliant, so I'm sorely tempted.

But I read somewhere - possibly on this forum - that it beeps in operation on the California. This would be bad: I'm invariably going to be stumbling out of the door in the middle of the night looking for the loo and I really don't want to wake up my family and neighbours.

Is it a loud beep?

Can it be turned off by the dealer, the way they can programme functions like the lights-home thing, the auto-lock and seatbelt warning beeps etc?

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

I've got the electirc door and wouldn't be without it. The beep isn't (IMHO) too invasive although if you are camped in close proximity to others, you can disable the electric assist function and turn it into a manual door with a button on the dash.

...I've never used it....!

(I decided to get the electric door after meeting a friend with an early Cali with electric door - he sees it as an essential safety feature if there are small kids about)

I will second that. Excellent to have and the manual button option means that in hot or windy weather etc you can have the door slightly open for ventilation.

Thanks for the speedy replies - very useful. I think that box is going ti get a tick...

It's essential for me too. With a small child in one arm and a bag of shopping in the other it's useful to have the Cali open the side door for you. The beeping, as the door closes, doesn't bother me either. You can hear worse sounds on a campsite in the dead of night e.g. snoring neighbours!

BerndRos said:
I will second that. Excellent to have and the manual button option means that in hot or windy weather etc you can have the door slightly open for ventilation.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the manual override button? I have a 2009 Cali with the electric side door. Good but always a niggle about whether it'll still be working in 10 years or just another thing to go wrong.

Cheers

On your dash there should be 2 buttons set together. 1 opens/closes the door by electric means, the other disables the electric function, meaning that you open/close manually.

I wouldn't be without the electric sliding door, as mentioned well worth the extra cash. TBH I didn't realise you could turn the door into a manual version... opps, could have let the people in the tent next to me sleep a little longer! ;) (the buzzer is annoying)

Thanks for pointing out the second button...