Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Emergency roof securing kit

J

j_ritchie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi, we’re away for the bank holiday weekend and our hydraulic roof has failed, (one of the rams- the rear of it has blown out)!
We’re at Sacrwell farm on the edge of Peterborough. We travel back to Norwich on Sunday and wondered if we could borrow or buy a tie down kit from someone?

Many thanks,

Justin

E0761ACF-5C2E-4A64-A93F-F554996F28CA.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Sad
Hi, we’re away for the bank holiday weekend and our hydraulic roof has failed, (one of the rams- the rear of it has blown out)!
We’re at Sacrwell farm on the edge of Peterborough. We travel back to Norwich on Sunday and wondered if we could borrow or buy a tie down kit from someone?

Many thanks,

Justin

View attachment 91882
Justin, far from you, but if no one replies in the meanwhile:
- you can drive within town without the safety straps
- get to Halfords and get a ratchet strap
- put that through the windows round and over the roof and ratchet the roof down.

It will work fine. Hope you don't have far to travel from Peterborough.

Many thanks,

Justin

View attachment 91882
First of all, I have no experience with blown out rams...but seeing your photo the roof sagged already some on the "blown out" side. What is blocking from lowering it by hand as you normally do with a beach? (you may spill oil from the ram..) And if the "sissor" is blocked somehow, is it then possible to dismount the short part and then lower it by hand? As I remember from my T5 beach there is a chapter in the instructions/user booklet that describes what to do with a non closing top...
Succes!

First of all, I have no experience with blown out rams...
There's a pressure release behind the control panel which @j_ritchie appears to know about, with that released they can indeed manually lower the roof. But what they actually need is a way to secure the roof for travel...
Just as @kurienp I'd be looking for something in a local hardware store, not so sure about strapping it through the windows like that though!

There's a pressure release behind the control panel which @j_ritchie appears to know about, with that released they can indeed manually lower the roof. But what they actually need is a way to secure the roof for travel...
Just as @kurienp I'd be looking for something in a local hardware store, not so sure about strapping it through the windows like that though!
But from what I remember the Beach has security clamps with which you secure the roof normally also? Per info; I had a T5 beach, not a T6

But from what I remember the Beach has security clamps with which you secure the roof normally also? Per info; I had a T5 beach, not a T6
On the Beach , Yes. Not so on the SE/Ocean with the Hydraulic roof. Normally the SE/Ocean came with some plastic clips that clip into the roof rail and side awning moulding secured together with a Velcro straps to secure a failed roof.

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
Morning, thanks everyone for your input. Indeed- did manage to bleed the pressure off with the screw at the pump to get the roof down. Duct tape had been suggested to me (and I do have a roll in the van) but didn’t want to risk the paintwork, (can’t imagine the stickiness, let alone the thought of lifting paint).
I’ve since realised I have a pair of T-track securing eyes from our roof bars in the van which will slot into the roof tracks and I should have some heavy duty storm straps from our awning too so should manage to secure it.
Thanks for your help. Enjoy the weekend!

Back