Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Emergency roof closure

Dylan

Dylan

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
IMG_0719.JPG IMG_0724.JPG IMG_0726.JPG IMG_0728.JPG IMG_0729.JPG IMG_0730.JPG Hi,

I've posted this in General because it relates to anyone when the Cali roof fails to close. The manual describes a manual lowering procedure, which involves removing the control unit and accessing a screw to release the oil pressure. Unfortunately, this screw was not visible on my Cali because it was hidden behind the foam padding retaining the hydraulic pump. Using a blade, a small section had to be cut out of the foam to access it. I have seen other posts in the Elevating roof section also mentioning not seeing the screw.

It seems to me that this could cause stress when the roof fails to close, and users try to locate the screw in an emergency. I have posted a few images showing what has to be done.

Thanks for the post and pictures. Been on my list to fully nail down in case I get an issue.

Crazy that it isn't a bit easier but there we go.

I presume it was the slotted screw?

Mike

Last edited:
Martin - a big thank you for taking the time to do this. The required procedure seems incredible to me and I still ofcourse hope never to have to do it, but your post helps a lot in the demystification of it!

Ian

Many thanks for your groundwork.
I've just got around to doing a trial run and pre cutting the foam, glad I did! What a ridiculous procedure to have to go through in an emergency!
Why on earth VW couldn't at the very least make the foam removable.

------ and most importantly you've got the velcro tie down kit in the Cali, not on a shelf in the garage!

Hi All,

I wish I looked here before as had the same issue on Saturday and had to take the plunge and cut away the foam... Anyway I was successful in lowering the roof and secured it with the straps.

My unit is clearly dead and I’ve managed to locate another (I think)...

Does anyone know if there is anything special you need to do once the new unit is fitted, being that the oil pressure has been now been released?

Thanks
Adam

Hi Adam,

Sorry to hear that your roof had problems. As long as you re-tightened the release screw on the pump, you can just replace the control unit by attaching the electrical connections.

Martin

Thanks Dylan.

The only I now have to decide is do I buy a secondhand unit for €200 or get mine repaired for between €75 & €125... but i’ll figure that one out.

Cheers,

Adam

Glad you asked if it was the slotted screw as I thought the Asterix on the foam was showing which screw to adjust. Thank you

Good stuff. Well done with doing it.

Great pics & post by @Dylan.

Definitely the sort of thing that could perhaps be demonstrated at club meets.

Mike

I manged this with my leatherman whilst in the lakes. It wasn't as scary as i first though it would be especially with these pics available on my phone to help.

It might be worth any new owners to actually try this procedure at home.

Good stuff. Well done with doing it.

Great pics & post by @Dylan.

Definitely the sort of thing that could perhaps be demonstrated at club meets.

Mike

Hi All,
Just thought that I should mention that I ended up opting to get my old Central Control Unit repaired and sent off to Verotronics BV in the Netherlands (details below) - they provided a fantastic service and fixed the old unit for a total of €135 including postage and VAT. (This was less tha the cost that VW wanted to charge to do the diagnostics to tell me what I already knew, e.g. the unit has failed, before they charged a further £600 to replace it)

When I got it back it was simply a case of pluging in the 3 connectors, reinserting the unit in its housing and setting the time/date, then everything worked perfectly without the need to do anything wit the hydraulics.

Thanks for all the advice given and I’d definitely recommend these guys!

Verotronics BV
Kruburg 13
5632 PG Eindhoven
Telefoon: 040 - 248 34 88
E-mail: info@verotronics.nl
Internet: www.verotronics.nl

Happy camping!

Adam

Do just need to get access to the slotted screw? If so why cut out so much foam?

If anyone has gone to the trouble of exposing the drain plug then please post coordinates of its position from a convenient feature (e.g. Top and bottom of the hard grey plastic edge exposed once the panel is removed). Should then be possible to make a much neater hole using a16 mm diameter hole saw with its pilot drill removed.

Afternoon everyone! This forum is absolutely top for shared experience and knowledge. I'm sitting in Croatia with a dead fridge and a dead Control Panel with the roof up. I've followed service book instructions for removal of Control Panel in order to bring the roof down and was stymied by this yellow foam thank you so much for posting!

Assuming you have the emergency tie down kit in the van?

Afternoon everyone! This forum is absolutely top for shared experience and knowledge. I'm sitting in Croatia with a dead fridge and a dead Control Panel with the roof up. I've followed service book instructions for removal of Control Panel in order to bring the roof down and was stymied by this yellow foam thank you so much for posting!

As an aside, why are your batteries flat?
Not flat batteries but a dead fridge and dead control panel now removed for manual roof lowering. Batteries are charging from mains: we have lights and leccy from the passenger side sink socket

Not flat batteries but a dead fridge and dead control panel now removed for manual roof lowering. Batteries are charging from mains: we have lights and leccy from the passenger side sink socket
I assume you have checked the 5a control panel fuse?

FWIW our CP failure and fridge warming was detected some days before we were due to move on, hence no post until now when it has become necessary to do the manual lowering. it's slow in our experience and for a moment, worryingly lopsided. This corrected itselfand we are secured to roll slowly on. Pictures attached of Velcro straps on the left side up against the awning bracket. We are in the house for the coming week so will try to procure a replacement CP so we can roam on. IMG_2125.JPGIMG_2126.JPGIMG_2125.JPGIMG_2126.JPGIMG_2125.JPGIMG_2126.JPG

Thanks for this post. I too was mystified by the yellow foam covering the screw! Crazy procedure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back