Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Emergency roof tie down kit

We also carry a small ratchet strap just make sure.
Luckily we haven't had to use it.

Just bought this from the Club shop but it has no instructions - does anyone have an idea how to use it?

You don't get those bits with the Beach which is why the Beach is better than the SE/Ocean!

Battle bowlers and everyone to the slit trenches. :Nailbiting :thumb

You don't get those bits with the Beach which is why the Beach is better than the SE/Ocean!

Battle bowlers and everyone to the slit trenches. :Nailbiting :thumb
You'll need them if one of the catches fail.

Reminds me of a sight we spotted on holiday last year. In a service station four guys in a pop top bay window van using liberal amounts of duck tape to fix the roof down.

Just taken delivery of our new California.
amongst all the bags of bits and pieces is this. Any idea what it's for??? The main pieces are about 6" long.

For use in the event of failure in the auto lock-down mechanism.

Thanks very much!
Now found the YouTube video on how to use it!
Cheers

Hi all,
This was in the back of one of the cupboards when we collected itour Ocean. Just wondering if it is anything useful or indeed required.

Any help is great appreciated.

Welcome.

It's the tie down kit for the pop up roof should the unthinkable happen! i.e. if the electrohydraulic roof operating system should fail. Always keep in Cali just in case!!

Having experienced roof failure and having had to drive from one side of Scotland to the other in a reasonable time to get it repaired, there is no way I would risk driving with only one velcro lash down. The consequences of wind getting underneath the unsecured side and lifting up don't bear thinking of!

I'm pretty sure all vehicles should be supplied with two, our T5 and T6 were. Check the make sure you always carry them, you don't know how far you may have to drive with them securing your roof.
I think we have 2, but will check when we reach our site and report back. Our Cali was new Jan 19.

Like you, SusiBus, I’d rather be “belt and braces” with 2.

Welcome.

It's the tie down kit for the pop up roof should the unthinkable happen! i.e. if the electrohydraulic roof operating system should fail. Always keep in Cali just in case!!
I nearly put ours in a box in the garage, glad I didn’t.

Just realised from another thread that I don't have these, but I'm with @WelshGas and will be using a dual purpose alternative should the need ever arise. (Wait now for the activation of Sod's Law)

Get them from PartsHaus.co.uk post free you NEED TWO FOR PIECE OF MIND
Genuine VW California T5 T6 pop up roof emergency securing strap 7H7871521 × 1
£13.99​
Subtotal
£13.99
Shipping
£0.00
Taxes
£2.33
Total
£13.99 GBP

Hotel California moved on in 2021. The pictures are fairly self explanatory and your California supplement has both parts: the tie down and the headrest strap, described (in VW speak).

Note: the info on awning rail rattle bits is inaccurate as far as I can see.

Last edited: