Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Engine Battery Replacement help

Rozzie50

Rozzie50

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi,
I have a 2012 T5.1 California and the mains battery has finally given up the ghost (we think). I am having a real issue finding a replacement is a real needle in a haystack.

we currently are using:
Varta
12v
85Ah
450A DIN
760A EN/S.
Can anyone help with a similar or replacement battery?
Thank you in advance!!!!EC967690-2E60-452D-B4B1-466B3A6D74C1.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi,
I have a 2012 T5.1 California and the mains battery has finally given up the ghost (we think). I am having a real issue finding a replacement is a real needle in a haystack.

we currently are using:
Varta
12v
85Ah
450A DIN
760A EN/S.
Thank you in advance!!!!
Why not a VW dealer?

I think the 2012 SE uses this: https://www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-bat...ANoCb5rPqAy8YJqc7pu3cNqMYyxYqU_4aApucEALw_wcB

Probably two required. Check your fuses at the same time.
I think the 2012 SE uses this: https://www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-bat...ANoCb5rPqAy8YJqc7pu3cNqMYyxYqU_4aApucEALw_wcB

Probably two required. Check your fuses at the same time.
Thank you. However we have already replaced both leisure batteries. We are looking for thats main engine battery.

Mains battery. Note the Tanya offering is a little large. Not swapped mine out yet but is considerable bigger than default.

Also has to be programmed.

Thank you. However we have already replaced both leisure batteries. We are looking for thats main engine battery.
Oh I see! Sorry I was confused by "mains" .

Hi,

we currently are using:
Varta
12v
85Ah
450A DIN
760A EN/S.
Thank you in advance!!!!View attachment 86824
This is the one.

This is the one. If you have Stop/Start then it needs to be coded. This was a direct replacement on my 2014 California.

This is the one.

This is the one. If you have Stop/Start then it needs to be coded. This was a direct replacement on my 2014 California.
Does it matter that it’s a stop start battery?

Does it matter that it’s a stop start battery?
No. There are cheaper makes available, just make sure the physical size is correct as well as the electrical spec.

Halfords, the RAC or AA can supply and fit correct batteries. Fitting is free for members or £35 for non-members.

If it's not Blue Motion (Stop Start) then any similar (perhaps a little larger capacity) battery will suffice. It's not a thing to lose any sleep over.
Quick check if it needs coding, if there is a small module with a wiring loom attached to the -ve terminal of the battery then it does if not it doesn't.

I have a 2010 SE without blue motion stop/start. I have just replaced the same battery you have with _
F18varta Silver Dynamic 85Ah from Tayna Batteries Ltd. It is very slightly taller than original but fits perfectly and has if anything slightly higher spec. Cost £92.78 including next day delivery charge ordered on line from Tanya.

I have a 2010 SE without blue motion stop/start. I have just replaced the same battery you have with _
F18varta Silver Dynamic 85Ah from Tayna Batteries Ltd. It is very slightly taller than original but fits perfectly and has if anything slightly higher spec. Cost £92.78 including next day delivery charge ordered on line from Tanya.
Did you have to do anything else other than a swop the battery over?
Sometimes you have to recode them, so I’ve heard.

Quick check if it needs coding, if there is a small module with a wiring loom attached to the -ve terminal of the battery then it does if not it doesn't.

i.e. if it's not got any intelligence you can't tell it anything!

No requirement to code as battery monitoring is very limited on a 2010 SE. From reading other threads on here I believe the recoding requirement is linked to Blue motion stop/start advances that came in on later SE models. As @rod_vw outlined

Tanya IMG_20211119_195709.jpgBattery replacement recommended for a 2015 se

Back