Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Starter battery replacement - diy??

Crispo

Crispo

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Just had service and told battery is defective and £224 replacement charge.
Can buy the same one that is currently in there which believe is original (Varta 5KO 915 105K - 12v, 95ah, 450a) for £140 delivered.
VW suggested they will fit a Bosch.
Any sound reasons to pay £85 more to VW? Assuming straight forward to replace, but are there programming issues etc?
Many thanks in advance

IMG_8777.jpg

Can buy the same one that is currently in there which believe is original (Varta 5KO 915 105K - 12v, 95ah, 450a) for £140 delivered.
Any sound reasons to pay £85 more to VW? Assuming straight forward to replace, but are there programming issues etc?
Many thanks in advance

View attachment 80557

Can recommend RAC battery, usually cheaper than the VW one but with a higher rating. They will also fit it at your home for +£35 (and code if required).

but are there programming issues etc?
Some say yes, some say no. A number have been replaced without re-coding, apparently with no ill effects.
A good motor factor supplying batteries would fit and re code for an all inclusive price, much less than VW.
Searches for battery replacement will bring up relevant information.

Many thanks in advance

View attachment 80557

As long as the size & basic characteristics are the same and type (i.e Wet / AGM), post type etc, then a good brand name battery are generally compatible. RAC batteries are branded Varta ones and at a significant mark-up vs on-line prices.

Tayna Batteries are very good for on-line prices and there is a Caravan & Motorhome club discount code. They come in a nice strong box with a sealed bag and plugs in the vent tubes. I have replaced a number of friends/relatives batteries in the last 12 months after their cars have been left during lock-down.

Your car doesn't appear to have a BMS (Battery Monitoring System, see picture as example) , these are normally only fitted to Stop-Start cars. (They basically measure flow in and out and do some diagnostics on battery health)

If you did have a BMS then the dealer would normally reset the battery adaptions with a new battery, but it isn't strictly necessary, they relearn over a few drive/sleep cycles, the reset just makes the adaption quicker.

I would just get a like for like replacement if the cost is sensible

1624553626213.png
Battery strap with a BMS ECU on the earth clamp

A

Last edited:
Recently fitted a new Yuasa YBX5019. No problem. About £100 inc delivery from parts for machines, were cheaper than Tanya. Was shipped directly from Yuasa.

Many thanks in advance

View attachment 80557
When you say they told you the battery was defective did they tell you how defective it was?
Did you notice anything that would make you think it was defective?
I’m not saying that the dealer would want to make £120 out of you for no reason. VW just don’t do things like that...Totally honest.

Thanks to all for your valued responses.
Great shout for RAC - spoke with them and their own branded is made by Varta and has 5 year warranty + £164 fitted free as am a member. They said they would code/program as required but when I delved deeper they were referring to things like radio settings.

Will double check bms on lead in the morning. If not there, and also van pre-dates stop/start, sounds like I can do myself with zero concern re: coding in any case. Will check suppliers mentioned as seems best value all round for same thing.

I did ask VW what/how defective battery was and simply had response that test result was ‘defective battery’ as opposed to charging required. During the cold snap, we did have a morning where battery would not turn over. Plugged in through side of van for a weekend, as had heard this would trickle charge main battery too, and been ok since albeit temps not been that cold since. Interestingly, not great experience with VW dealer for the service this time. Charged £75 more than was quoted, and quite belligerent when I queried. Eventually checked the recorded booking phone conversation, apologised and refunded, but not the best this time - different dealer than used historically.
Cheers all for help

Last edited:
Interestingly, here we have seen that during a winter check, if the battery was bad below a certain level, VW would give you a new one… Has been an offering for several years, and they changed our battery for free, last winter…
Also, always understood that if you change your battery yourself, and don’t turn the contact on while at it, there is no reprogramming needed of anything.

I used AA battery replacement service as my battery finally died when the van was parked in my garage. Brilliant service and if I remember correctly about £5 more than I could have bought the battery for. If you are not an AA member you can still use the service, but add on £35 like the RAC.

They did the recoding and also turned up with two or three options/capacities so he was sure he could replace like for like with a Bosch.

I’ve just had a look at mine and their doesn’t seem to have any manufacturers name on it. I think it’s Varta but not sure. Has an ident 7EO 915 105 D. 70 ah. And made in China. we bought the Van new and the battery hasn’t been replaced. I would have thought VW would have sourced the batteries from Europe but I suppose the savings getting them from China would be massive.

24ADFADC-7FA2-4524-A20F-49DA20220AA6.jpeg

I’ve just had a look at mine and their doesn’t seem to have any manufacturers name on it. I think it’s Varta but not sure. Has an ident 7EO 915 105 D. 70 ah. And made in China. we bought the Van new and the battery hasn’t been replaced. I would have thought VW would have sourced the batteries from Europe but I suppose the savings getting them from China would be massive.

View attachment 80608
Watch out for the spider

I used AA battery replacement service as my battery finally died when the van was parked in my garage. Brilliant service and if I remember correctly about £5 more than I could have bought the battery for. If you are not an AA member you can still use the service, but add on £35 like the RAC.

They did the recoding and also turned up with two or three options/capacities so he was sure he could replace like for like with a Bosch.
Sorry I got really confused with AA battery for a minute :talktothehand

Can I ask how old your vehicle is? I'm try to a feel for when my 2015 California SE will need its starter battery replaced after recently doing the Leisures. I have noticed recently on occassion that the start-up cycle takes longer i.e. instead of turning the key engine turning over and starting almost instantly, instead it occassionally turns over for 5-10 seconds before starting. I think this could be a sign.

Can I ask how old your vehicle is? I'm try to a feel for when my 2015 California SE will need its starter battery replaced after recently doing the Leisures. I have noticed recently on occassion that the start-up cycle takes longer i.e. instead of turning the key engine turning over and starting almost instantly, instead it occassionally turns over for 5-10 seconds before starting. I think this could be a sign.
Mine lasted 6 yrs, but it is a daily driver and used very regularly.
As you said, instead of starting instantly it started chugging over a few times as the winter progressed.

Mine lasted 6 yrs, but it is a daily driver and used very regularly.
As you said, instead of starting instantly it started chugging over a few times as the winter progressed.
Thanks thats helpful. Mine is 6 years old too, also daily driver. Sounds like I might need to plan for replacement.

Thanks thats helpful. Mine is 6 years old too, also daily driver. Sounds like I might need to plan for replacement.
That’s not normally the case. They are all going to be different. So much depends on so many different things not necessarily just the age. Mine is same age as yours and it starts up immediately I turn the key. Also if left for a number of weeks or months during the lockdown again it started up straight away. Also what battery did VW put in from new? It’s the same with leisure batteries some on here have had them 10 years mine lasted 3 years with VW replacing them under warranty.

That’s not normally the case. They are all going to be different. So much depends on so many different things not necessarily just the age. Mine is same age as yours and it starts up immediately I turn the key. Also if left for a number of weeks or months during the lockdown again it started up straight away. Also what battery did VW put in from new? It’s the same with leisure batteries some on here have had them 10 years mine lasted 3 years with VW replacing them under warranty.
Thanks for adding balance. Guess I just don't have the knowledge to know whether the occassional delay is starting is due to the starter battery or something else...thought I had found an answer.

Mine is 2010. Second owner of 3 years, so not sure if it is original battery unless anyone can tell from picture??

Have no idea what that BMS even does. I tested the battery recently and got like 5-10 effective AH, meaning it is dead. No system warnings nothing ;)
Anyway changed it and didn't code anything. I got Vagcom though.
The only reasonable effect of coding might be if it is AGM or Flooded for lower top voltage 14,4 instead of 14,8.
So if replaced by the same Start-stop AGM I personally see no reason for coding.

The funny fact my car battery died sooner than leisure, no matter I have discharged leisure one a lot even to 0 once. It has effective 40AH still. So that Bluemotion is destroying the batteries pretty fast. Never topping them and micro cycling 50-80% a LOT. Lasted 5 years.

Thanks for adding balance. Guess I just don't have the knowledge to know whether the occassional delay is starting is due to the starter battery or something else...thought I had found an answer.
I suspect a dealy has nothing to do with a battery. Glow plugs in cold weather or some other electronics issues might.
The battery might influence how fast the car is started when cranking. If you get several turns before diesel catches might be a sign of a poor battery already or some issues.

Back