Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Engine Options

stuavo

stuavo

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi,

I've just ordered a Cali Ocean with a 150 DGG engine.
I have bought a 170 Cali SE (Berghaus edition) as a stop gap until it arrives and
it feels okay in terms of power but I'm concerned that the 150 will be underpowered?

Can anyone offer advice on the best engine option for an Ocean please?

Ran 180 SE prior to our current 150 Ocean no need to worry in my view

I don't think you have a 170SE if its a Berghaus - they were all 180SE

You will find that its the corners that slow you down rather than the engine!

Our old 140 was perfectly adequate for exceeding the french speed limit of 83mph & cruising all day at those speeds whilst fully loaded. The 150 will be better than that.

Our 150 DSG 2 WD has a the power we need.

I test drove both the 150 and 199 DSG versions of the ocean before opting for the 150. I didn't feel enough of a difference between the two. I was mainly disappointed that the 199 was just as sluggish pulling into traffic from a stop. It performed very slightly better on the highway but not enough to make a difference.

I think if you are going to be driving with a full load and/or pulling a trailer then you should opt for the larger engine, otherwise you might as well go with the more economical one.

If you find that the 150 lacking (probably won't) then there are 2 options available.
1 Have a TVS gearbox reprogram. Makes better use of the gears by not going into a high gear too soon, more to it than that but always seems to be the correct gear without the dreaded delay process.
2 Have the engine reprogrammed, remap.

the 180's from what I have seen made 155 more often, where as 150 units were 150 so shouldn't be a huge difference. The 204 is also down on claim but the 199 makes the claimed power it seems.

150 fine in my view. Fine at motorway speeds and up hills. Speed is usually limited by cornering ability or road condition rather than engine power. 40mpg a bonus with the 150.

Back