Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newcomers! T6 / 6.1 engine size?

I first rented two 150 cali's before buying a 204 4motion last year. Id agree that the 150 was quite sedate and nice to drive. Both were manuals as well.

The 204 is an auto and is very sprightley, it may be too much power for a front wheel drive but don't have experience of that, you can certainly feel the 4 motion putting the power down.

I tow a large dinghy, Wayfarer, and take it all over, you dont know its there most of the time.

While waiting for our 204 to be prepared for selling I had a trial run in a new 150 T6 2wd van on M6 and other roads around Preston VW (Lancashire VW). I was underwhelmed with the power in this light van and the sloppy handling around a large roundabout was not good for my confidence!. If I had chosen a 150 2wd the suspension upgrade to stiffen the ride (not expensive and I do not remember the correct term) would be a must.
Overall, the 204 is a very pleasing ride compared to my experience with a 150; not sure if it makes much difference to driving but I do have 4Motion. I'm not a speed merchant and the VW App rates my driving style as 'gentle' :)
Many thanks for this, we do have a builders type trailer and a small sailing boat which we tow often. Food for thought!!

I first rented two 150 cali's before buying a 204 4motion last year. Id agree that the 150 was quite sedate and nice to drive. Both were manuals as well.

The 204 is an auto and is very sprightley, it may be too much power for a front wheel drive but don't have experience of that, you can certainly feel the 4 motion putting the power down.

I tow a large dinghy, Wayfarer, and take it all over, you dont know its there most of the time.
Funnily enough we have a Wayfarer mark4 which we bought earlier this year, must be around 300Kg. I've heard there are delays on the new T6.1 DSG / 4x4's. VW aren't taking orders and don't know when they will. Sounds like a false start by VW as the configurator / pricing template is live. Many thanks, Kind regards, David and Helen.

Believe it or not, the 199 actually has (very marginally) better fuel consumption as the engine is not working as hard at higher speeds. At least this is according to VW’s quoted figures. Like a few of the above, we had to go for 199 in order to get 4motion. And with 199 you don’t ever need to worry about whether you’ll have enough power.
Would like to do some winter camping in Scotland. Years ago we used to caravan in Winter even when the snow was down and loved it. We tow regularly too. 4x4 may come in useful. Thank you for taking the time. Kind regards, David and Helen.

I have a multivan highline t6 204 4motion DSG , think that's the exec in uk so A bit heavier compared to a standard van and 90% of time it's on the motorway at an indicated 135kmh. I get about 8.3l/100km

It's not light on fuel so expect a bit higher in a full loaded california.
de3acbe7de9c0d159983d334144afe00.jpg

Thank you for this, looks like theres a hold on orders for the new model as of last week. Give us chance to save up some more! If we decide to throw caution to the wind we may opt for the 199 4x4. Kind regards, David and Helen.

Thank you for this, looks like theres a hold on orders for the new model as of last week. Give us chance to save up some more! If we decide to throw caution to the wind we may opt for the 199 4x4. Kind regards, David and Helen.
Well if you need 4x4 and the funds are there, go for it. Enjoy :thumb

Funnily enough we have a Wayfarer mark4 which we bought earlier this year, must be around 300Kg. I've heard there are delays on the new T6.1 DSG / 4x4's. VW aren't taking orders and don't know when they will. Sounds like a false start by VW as the configurator / pricing template is live. Many thanks, Kind regards, David and Helen.

Ours too is a Mk4, we race the circuit and use the van to stay at events, we took 2 wayfarers on a double stacker to the worlds in ireland in the summer and again it towed very well. Are you new to the wayfarer fleet and do you race or cruise?Bass-638.jpgIMG_0927.jpg

Hi, thanks for the reply, yes new to Wayfarer sailing. Bought it earlier in the year from Ian Porter near Hayling. We're definitely novices. Have it at Windermere Yacht club but seem to be 'odd one out' as fleet comprised of other boat types! Wayfarers don't to figure much other that on a Monday (General dinghy class) which I can't usually make. Only been out a couple of times this year! Weather not been too kind up there this season and very erratic. Funnily enough met the owner of wayfarer brand in Sept in hotel at Southampton Boat Show. I think the Cali will prove to be very useful and now veering towards 4x4. Kind regards, David and Helen.

I have a multivan highline t6 204 4motion DSG , think that's the exec in uk so A bit heavier compared to a standard van and 90% of time it's on the motorway at an indicated 135kmh. I get about 8.3l/100km

It's not light on fuel so expect a bit higher in a full loaded california.
de3acbe7de9c0d159983d334144afe00.jpg
Woah, what's the app? I like the look of that!

Fuelio you can set up 2 fuels so 1 can be diesel and the other adblue but they don't have adblue listed so I used ethanol

Back