Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Environmental red tape

Think the answer is quite simple.
The EU can only do something if the member states agree it’s a good idea.
For the moment the pollution regulation of cars and lorries are an individual member state issue.
I guess you can say, that the states haven’t given the EU the control to make any common regulations
As for Germany the regulations are controlled by the individual states and not even the central government. However you can use the same sticker all over Germany.
What about contacting the embassies? Or look it up on the AA webpage.

Can anyone tell me why the EU has't developed a common environmental vehicle sticker system with common EU rules to cover all member states? One sticker for the whole of the EU.
I have been trying to understand the various requirements that different states impose. It's a total burecratic mess! Each country does it's own thing which were it not for the EU common policy aims, would be fine. A simple question like, Do I need a sticker? seems to be dificult to establish. Take France for instance, l have applied for a Crit air sticker because their system appears to be so variable that in the end I hadn't a clue as to whether I will actually need one or not. Also it's cheap so it wasn't worth messing about. I wouldn't even expect the average French inhabitant to know the day to day details and changes, let alone foriegn visitors. They seem to have two systems one of permenant zones for towns and cities and another with temporary ones which can effect whole departments and are subject to changing weather and polution levels. These two types can overlay and as far as I can understand, the rules are anyones guess.
Some information states that these crit air stickers are compulsory on all vehicles and that heavy fines can be imposed if you don't display one, whilst others imply that they are only required if you wish to enter a controlled zone.
Having applied for said sticker online, even though I have no intention of going near Paris or the other cities mentioned, I will almost certainly be back home long before the damn thing arrives, such is the apparent speed of the machinery that generates them!
That's it, Rant over.

Looking at the history of EU regulations, they seem to often start with national or state initiatives, but then subsequently get developed into a common EU regulation. So I reckon in time this will happen - it’s just that air pollution regulation is in a developmental phase, and they need to heed the views of all the EU countries.

Although many people critics this sort of international regulation, I think generally it makes life simpler and easier and have no doubt that we will rue the day that we got into this whole Brexit mess. The ‘red tape’ critics of the EU are about to find out what real red tape is like as we return to our 70s isolation.
Couldn't DISAGREE with you more.:Iamsorry

I’m going across France next week to south Spain. I don’t intend to go anywhere near big cities, just sticking to the coast, ish.
Do I need this/a sticker?

You don't need a vignette on the autoroute ....
But , say you have a problem need a doctor , a visit to a VW dealer , a road accident and a diversion ....ending up in the crit-air zone = a fine '
The vignet is 5 or 6 € ...your choice.
Buy it once , stays with the verhicle all time.

You don't need a vignette on the autoroute ....
But , say you have a problem need a doctor , a visit to a VW dealer , a road accident and a diversion ....ending up in the crit-air zone = a fine '
The vignet is 5 or 6 € ...your choice.
Buy it once , stays with the verhicle all time.
Good advice. Cheers I’ll get on to it.

Seriously a sticker in the window with regards to emissions...???
Sorry, but life is far to short for this rubbish. It reminds of those headlight stickers your supposed to attach to your headlights. Never had them, will never have them. Never stopped or fined or asked about them.

This is another case of ignore and don’t worry. Should the worse happen, just keep saying no comprende...

Seriously a sticker in the window with regards to emissions...???
Sorry, but life is far to short for this rubbish. It reminds of those headlight stickers your supposed to attach to your headlights. Never had them, will never have them. Never stopped or fined or asked about them.

This is another case of ignore and don’t worry. Should the worse happen, just keep saying no comprende...

Ignoring the camera's above the road reading licence plates will be a hard task....
Stickers will indeed not help the invirement but they are not suppose to , they just bring in the money , as are the fines .
I prefer the cheapest , a sticker .
In France when you enter the peage , tollroads they also read in your nr plates , here in Belgium entering Brussels and Antwerp also , as in many roadsections where they have trajectcontol on speed.

I can’t see them chasing cross boarder fines. Mostly lightly the Citizens of that country will get the fine.
If a fine arrived for me from France, I wouldn’t pay and I doubt they would chase the fine down.
Unless it’s on the spot fines, it’s very difficult to track down and prosecute.

I can’t see them chasing cross boarder fines. Mostly lightly the Citizens of that country will get the fine.
If a fine arrived for me from France, I wouldn’t pay and I doubt they would chase the fine down.
Unless it’s on the spot fines, it’s very difficult to track down and prosecute.
Unfortunately not so. DVLA will provide all the details of the Vehicles Keeper as registered and Registration Number Plate Cameras will notify the Authorities when you cross over to the EU. Also EU countries can use Debt Collection Agencies.
Since May 6th 2017.

https://www.theaa.com/european-breakdown-cover/driving-in-europe/driving-offence-abroad

Unfortunately not so. DVLA will provide all the details of the Vehicles Keeper as registered and Registration Number Plate Cameras will notify the Authorities when you cross over to the EU. Also EU countries can use Debt Collection Agencies.
Since May 6th 2017.

https://www.theaa.com/european-breakdown-cover/driving-in-europe/driving-offence-abroad

This is very true a friend had speeding fine and a debt collection agency knocked on his door fine was sold to the agency by the French authorities.
Another word of warning speed limits on 90kph roads will drop to 80kph from july 1st this year

Even if a debt collection agency was appointed by, let’s say the French Police. The debt collection agency wouldn’t be able do much without obtaining a high court writ.
Which would involve them going through the British justice system and would need to be in excess of £600 from my understanding...???

Even if a debt collection agency was appointed by, let’s say the French Police. The debt collection agency wouldn’t be able do much without obtaining a high court writ.
Which would involve them going through the British justice system and would need to be in excess of £600 from my understanding...???
Unfortunately not.

https://etsc.eu/faq-eu-cross-border-enforcement-directive/

https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/cross...n/types-judicial-cooperation/payment-fines_en

HI, I don't know if I am being incredibly dense here, but I am applying for the French air certificate and am entering my address. There is a drop down box to select your country but I can't see the UK or any other connotation listed. Have I gone wrong?

I've only just applied for mine and doubt I'll received it before I go on 26th

Be aware that the French sticker can be obtained most cheaply from the official French government website at https://certificat-air.gouv.fr. I was charged Euros 4.21 for UK delivery.

If you use one of the commercial sites, notably www.crit-air.fr (someone mentioned that one earlier in this thread) they'll try to charge you closer to Euros 30 for the same thing. The company that runs that particular site also runs a slew of other environmental sticker websites including www.umwelt-plakette.de for German stickers, www.umwelt-pickerl.at for Austria, etc. Not a scam site as such, but not a cheap way to get what you need.

I do agree with Borris though, this whole thing is ridiculous and exactly the sort of chaos and confusion that the Single Market was supposed to avoid.

Back