Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Existing external 3/4/5G aerial ..?

couplands

couplands

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
On our T6.1 Ocean, there is an option to setup a WiFi hotspot and get a data plan.

This leads me to believe there is mobile broadband aerial built into van, I assume it would be in the little black puck on the front of the roof.

Does anyone know if this is the case, and if so can we connect to it with our own MiFi router for a better signal..?

The puck, AFAIK, is just for the radio. Wifi is provided by a 3/4G eSIM and is in the car gubbins behind the dash somewhere.

Edit - some Google tells me that the module is under the seat on VW cars, so maybe the same location on the van.

Last edited:
The puck, AFAIK, is just for the radio. Wifi is provided by a 3/4G eSIM and is in the car gubbins behind the dash somewhere.

Edit - some Google tells me that the module is under the seat on VW cars, so maybe the same location on the van.
I'll have a rummage, currently in the van in Sherwood Forest with poor Internet so researching how to improve connectivity.

I believe the puck at least has GPS aerial(s) as well as radio.

I'll have a rummage, currently in the van in Sherwood Forest with poor Internet so researching how to improve connectivity.

I believe the puck at least has GPS aerial(s) as well as radio.
Take your phone and put it in the van as high as possible. We put in the poptop at the front, resting on the bulkhead. Then hotspot ot the phone. Your van is a faraday box of sorts so in the poptop gets better signals. Never failed us unless there is zero signal in the area.

Will did an interesting vid on this, the reality being unless you have very poor signal, no matter how high the device is, they all have about the same connectivity results.

Take your phone and put it in the van as high as possible. We put in the poptop at the front, resting on the bulkhead. Then hotspot ot the phone. Your van is a faraday box of sorts so in the poptop gets better signals. Never failed us unless there is zero signal in the area.

Will did an interesting vid on this, the reality being unless you have very poor signal, no matter how high the device is, they all have about the same connectivity results.
Even outside the phone struggles.

I saw Wills (now 2) videos on van WiFi and the biggest benefit seemed to be using an external multi-band aerial. I’ll continue to play…;-)

Even outside the phone struggles.

I saw Wills (now 2) videos on van WiFi and the biggest benefit seemed to be using an external multi-band aerial. I’ll continue to play…;-)
Yeah, but from memory even that struggles if there is no signal and the gains ended up marginal when there was, so marginal as to not be worth the cost and hassle.

Sometimes you just have to talk to each other ;)

Yeah, but from memory even that struggles if there is no signal and the gains ended up marginal when there was, so marginal as to not be worth the cost and hassle.

Sometimes you just have to talk to each other ;)
The reason for asking if the puck was part of the VW mobile internet soloution was to avoid spending money on marginal tech.

It's use is mainly so we can download routes and plan our future travel plans/sites. Trying to book sites when the connection is in/out is a pain.

But hey ho, the research whiles away the rainy days in Sherwood Forest...;-)

The reason for asking if the puck was part of the VW mobile internet soloution was to avoid spending money on marginal tech.

It's use is mainly so we can download routes and plan our future travel plans/sites. Trying to book sites when the connection is in/out is a pain.

But hey ho, the research whiles away the rainy days in Sherwood Forest...;-)
Honestly think buying Wifi tech is a waste of money. A good phone and it's antenna will work just fine and no worse than much more expensive options. Outside of installing Starlink, nothing you buy will work if there is no phone signal.

Back