Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Using built-in eSIM for own purposes

Morsels

Morsels

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Our 6.1 Ocean has the subscription to VW services via the built-in eSIM, which I do not find terribly useful, and don't plan to continue paying for.

For internet connectivity for the family when on the move, we use a MiFi-style modem/router.

My question is, if the vehicle already has at least some connectivity built into it, cellular tech, maybe an aerial, etc, is there a way to co-opt that for my own uses? Can I connect up my own account/subscription/SIM/eSIM to VW's hardware?

Has anyone done anything similar, or used a company that can adapt the already-fitted tech in this way? What if anything is possible? Looking for other people's experiences.

Thanks!

It’s a bit of a mixed bag I’ve found.
The VW eSim We Connect system is great as a vehicle tracker and almost worth the money in its own right.

The Cubic platform for having more data is less good. We took out a trial for 1GB and it all got consumed within two days, on what I don’t know. I’min touch with the company now and they have given me 2GB to trial with but it doesn’t work. Also it only works when the ignition is on.

The best solution for me for date in EU is to buy an eSim and run it through my phone