Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Experienced at camping or "newbies"?

Tents in my twenties, as part of my drive to see Britain, and then, once I got married and had my own kids, bought a big polycotton Outwell tent and all the accessories (wife had never camped and wasn't easily convinced). I had to have estate cars to hold everything - the tent, alone, weighed an incredible 60kg!!

Bought a touring caravan 5 years ago, after selling much of the tent gear for a healthy profit, and still love everything about it: I enjoy towing, the comfort, the extra space (both when we're away and when it's at home), etc!

The Cali, when it arrives later in the month, will be the ultimate day van for excursions from home or the caravan. There'll be the odd night away in it, undoubtedly, but that's not its main purpose - hence the Beach and not the Ocean. For me, I'll have the perfect combination!

Same I see the Cali as a good towing base as well. Can tow something heavier, share space, make travels with just the cali.

I've camped all over the place. Sometimes 5 days from pseudo civilisation.
Can't be doing with the sprint across the campsite in the early hours.
Really hate striking camp and a damp wet tent and all those worm casts. :eek::eek::eek:
Actually pitching can be a real pain when it's wet and or windy.

You can't beat rolling up, putting the kettle on and having a brew with a view.
...and the luxury of a comfy bed! :):thumb:thumb:bananadance

Force Ten tent as singletons and as newly weds, even when our daughter was only six weeks old:Nailbiting. My mother was not impressed! Then moved onto Eurocamp/Eurosites and Keycamp holidays with kids, usually in France, first in tents then in Mobile homes when they were teenagers. We went back to tents when the teenagers had outgrown us. In the last five years the ground just seemed to be getting more uncomfortable with every trip and we kept seeing more and more vans of every configuration. Lots of pros / cons debates later we finally got our Cali last March. Best decision ever:D

We like to camp too, but we were getting to the stage of needing a van to cart all the 'essentials' and couldn't bear sorting it all out for just 1 or 2 nights away. Plus drying it all out afterward etc etc. Got serious camper van envy on campsites, so a Cali it was!

Camping with the scouts at 12, cooking on wood fires! Later, Blacks Good Companion Major tent. Kids came along so several frame tents. Then an old touring caravan, gas only including lighting. Later, many years cycle touring with a small tent. Now a Cali, such luxury! Heating, beds, fridge, lights, safe and so many other things.

My parents always has a touring caravan when we were young, so I was used to camping holidays - then did a lot of camping with my mates when teenagers. My wife never camped when young though so I was really pleased when she reluctantly succumbed and agreed to go camping with our kids with a great group of families... and she enjoyed the experience which was brill. (Now we both much prefer it to the traditional lie on a subbed for 2 weeks type holidays)
We have since camped as a family in Guernsey, France, The Gower, Pembrokeshire, ...all over in recent years. Then, the teenagers don't want to come with us anymore...(!) I have got my 'fix' with some proper wild-camping (2 days yomps with mates whilst packing super light) But - time now for a new chapter; luxury type camping as just the two of us... 2 weeks 'till the van arrives, can't wait.

Ha! and here's all us lot thinking the Cali represents the last word in luxury & comfort!

We both used to have long family camping holidays as kids, then regular camping trips as adults, first in a small tent, then a larger one with a bit more inside space. But we both feel the cold, & while freezing on a windy but otherwise lovely Whitsun camping trip in the west of Scotland, decided a campervan would give us a longer camping season. Fantastic! Our first trip was a snow Easter in the Brecon Beacons a few years ago, but we were quite cosy, even without the heater.

Generally been an outdoors-y sort of person for a good number of years. Still enjoy walking, though had increasingly found backpacking rather tough. I just love the freedom of the campervan. I try to leave it ready to go, so it only takes 30 mins or so to load the food and other essentials one wouldn't leave on board, and then I can be off. A good friend told me it was like having a Wendy-house on wheels - which probably dates us both!

We had a caravan when I was between 6-12 years old and only sold it when my Dad died as my Mum did not like driving much. Then at 21 a boyfriend took me away to Brighton for a weekend and tried to make me sleep in a cream canvas kids tent! I marched him to the nearest tent emporium the very next morning. We then toured frequently with everything on a motorbike (including his large can of hairspray....don't ask!). I wanted to create those special 'family' memories for my daughter so bought a 5 man tent just for the two of us.

After one holiday having to pack up the tent in torrential rain at 4am trying to swear quietly under my breath so as not to wake the tent camper neighbours and then having bits of tent draped over the banisters for weeks on end trying to get dry I succumbed. I then looked at motor homes (small ones) but could not reconcile the old lady interiors and having the cost of running two vehicles.....so a Cali it was. We have had some great times away. Have only used the drive away awning twice. !

Never camped at all until meeting Mr T.
Growing up we were 9 in the family, so holidays usually in large rented houses by the sea, frequently with numerous cousins etc.
First time under canvas (yes, real canvas) in South west Ireland, car packed to the roof, always took the Le Creuset frying pan for 'proper' breakfasts. And huge gas fridge.
Absolutely stunning scenery, often in the rain, beautiful beaches, frogs in shower block, Guiness & Bushmills on tap, ..returned numerous times both before & with children.
When First child was 2 years old, the elderly Luton style Ford motor home made it's debut. First night with all of us in we camped in the garden of friends, leaving small one sleeping whilst we enjoyed dinner indoors. Next morning ice on the inside of upper bunk windows, didn't seem to do son any lasting harm.
Daughter undoubtedly conceived (sorry!) in the old van, both children loved the old bus. Mr T liked it because 'it's home from home' Mrs T less keen, for same reason. As much sorting tidying as at home, each time we left camp. No driveaway awning. With huge kitchen cupboards we carried way too much. Horrendous beds etc etc.
Leisure battery caught fire en route from The North. Mrs T & son escaped while Mr T valiantly saved the day. No harm done despite dense fumes, & daughter born unscathed 6 weeks later.
Back to tenting after the van. One huge purple 6 berth Khayam Ultradome, brilliant tent, withstood Atlantic gales torrential rain & scorching sun ( yes in UK).
Some Eurocamping in France, 'proper' hols in cottages, & Greece etc.
Children grew up. Both still camping, Glastonbury, F1, friends weddings etc.
Purple tent had it's last outing last summer in Dorset for Mrs T's 'special' birthday.
No car packed to the roof this time, just a cavernous T5 Transporter hired 'just to see how it drives'.
It drove very well, & was rapidly replaced by a Pearlescent Black T5 California. A million times better than even a purple tent.
After all we have to fill our retirement somehow.
The tent found a new home through Freecycle, with a family whose tent had fed the mice through the winter.
Happy days.....

Haven't been camping in twenty years but back then, quite a few weekends per year for walking and canoeing and really enjoyed it. Did not want to go back to tent camping now and prefer a bit more comfort and less packing and set up. So getting a Cali in two weeks, the appeal being I can head off at short notice and don't need to stay in one place

Enjoyed reading your journey Mrs T.

We've still got our old purple kyham tent. Many camping holidays at Polzeath being buffeted by high winds & rain. Great fun & good memories .

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/gallery/image.928/
In fact our son stills uses it. Last summer camping in our garden with 10 of his friends.

Looking forward to just us & the dogs in Cali.

Last edited:
Looks exactly like ours, a real party tent!

Ah yes. From what l remember NO-ONE parties like medical students. Nor recovers so quickly either. But that's not for here...

Have camped a bit but TBH I never got great sleep and hated the evenings sat outside in the chilly air....I definitely see being Bertie as glamping!

We used to do a lot of camping but bit too old and knackered now to be carrying all the clobber.
Some good views from the Cali but still the only way to get a view like this in the morning is to carry your tent up into the mountains.

Camped as 20 somethings with a variety of cars and small tents touring Europe, then Eurocamping with our young daughter. Moved on to a family size tent then abandoned for a few years for more exotic climes and long haul flights. Graduated to Cali life five years ago when we retired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camped most holidays since about 3 right through to now at 59. Still camp if in the mountains . Got the Cali 4 years ago and love it. Feels decadent particularly in the rain reading a book sitting on a seat rather than cross legged on the floor.

I'm working from the other direction ... started with a T5 Caravelle coupled with a Hymer Eriba caravan (was a great setup, but couldn't shake the feeling that I wanted to keep moving and not go back to the site at the end of the day). Then went to a Westfalia James Cook v2, imported from Germany, incredible vehicle which we made the most of for the two short years that we had it but >3500kg and not a daily driver. Now we are waiting for a T6 California. Eventually, I would like to be wild camping with everything on my back but one step at a time!

I started camping in a little pup tent in the garden at about age 9, then had first real camping experience with fiance on Bodmin Moor in a thunderstorm. Did lots of camping when I found myself lone parent to two girls, we couldn't afford much but we had a second or third hand frame tent and lots of fun!
When the girls grew up and left home I discovered motorcycles (influenced by my older daughter), more camping in a little dome tent with minimal facilities, first with a touring club and later at bike rallies.
After bashing my leg up rather badly it wouldn't hold a bike up any longer so it was converted to a trike with a huge rack for all the gear and did thousands of miles with that, added a trailer cos I needed a bigger tent when I couldn't crawl any more, and a bed and a proper table...

I still love camping in a tent but time catches up even if I don't feel any older, I found I couldn't ride more than 60 miles on the trike, less if it was cold and wet, and putting up a tent when I got where I was going was just too much, so I started thinking about a campervan - influenced this time by younger daughter who's done whole winters in the Alps in hers!

Very excited now to be back on the road again!

Back