Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Extra Gas Storage

RosscoPCole74

RosscoPCole74

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I have a Cadac Safari Chef in our current VW Camper and an extra Campingaz cylinder that is stored securely in the boot. Where does everyone keep their extra gas cylinder in their California?

This has been asked many times; essentially it's either in the "proper" storage tank (i.e. where you connect up to the camper's own cooker) which is sealed from the interior and vented to the outside, or it's in the cab. If it's in the cab, it doesn't really matter where it is in real terms as long as it's secure - if it's going to leak it's pretty immaterial exactly where it is. On the hire Cali we had before we bought our own, the spare was in the wardrobe . . .

Under some circumstances you might consider removing your spare from the van before you or someone else sleeps in it.

I always remove mine as I have a child asleep in there before me.

Given our current cooker gas has lasted over a year and we also have the safari chef converted to use the small cans I'm not sure why anyone would need to carry a second large cylinder.

Given our current cooker gas has lasted over a year and we also have the safari chef converted to use the small cans I'm not sure why anyone would need to carry a second large cylinder.
I don't, I carry a 904 .

I will probably carry two when the connected one is getting low so I don't run out of gas; I don't want to be reliant on getting a refilled 907 while on a trip away somewhere, plus if it ran out while on a site it would be frustrating.

I will probably carry two when the connected one is getting low so I don't run out of gas; I don't want to be reliant on getting a refilled 907 while on a trip away somewhere, plus if it ran out while on a site it would be frustrating.
I tend to weigh mine every few months to keep an eye on the amount in (or shake it) - so far no issues and after a year bottle still 1/3 full. Space too precious for another cylinder so better for us to just keep an eye on the one we have and if we feel the need top up before a big trip. The small canisters we keep about 3 in the van, easy to store in the bottom of the cupboard.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the answers. Is the bottom of the wardrobe or directly above the gas locker the best place to keep the extra cylinder? Or is a Power Pack solution with disposable cylinders a better option?

Thanks for all the answers. Is the bottom of the wardrobe or directly above the gas locker the best place to keep the extra cylinder? Or is a Power Pack solution with disposable cylinders a better option?
I'd go the latter. We don't need a power pack - we just bought the HP to LP cable and use single cans.

I tend to weigh mine every few months to keep an eye on the amount in (or shake it) - so far no issues and after a year bottle still 1/3 full. Space too precious for another cylinder so better for us to just keep an eye on the one we have and if we feel the need top up before a big trip. The small canisters we keep about 3 in the van, easy to store in the bottom of the cupboard.
It all depends where you travel. I can't be bothered removing the cylinder before every trip to weigh it and then guesstimate if I have enough and I also dislike waste. So I use the 907, as it is at the moment, until it fails and then change to the 904. In Scandinavia, that I frequent, you cannot get Campingaz cylinders at all and I just replace the empty cylinder when next in a European country that does sell Campingaz cylinders. Has worked for the last 8 yrs.

It all depends where you travel. I can't be bothered removing the cylinder before every trip to weigh it and then guesstimate if I have enough and I also dislike waste. So I use the 907, as it is at the moment, until it fails and then change to the 904. In Scandinavia, that I frequent, you cannot get Campingaz cylinders at all and I just replace the empty cylinder when next in a European country that does sell Campingaz cylinders. Has worked for the last 8 yrs.
Well, I don't do it before every trip, I'm not a lunatic ;)

Under some circumstances you might consider removing your spare from the van before you or someone else sleeps in it.

I always remove mine as I have a child asleep in there before me.
We had a spare 907 with the plug in leak, the van stank of gas. Since then if we have carried a spare it’s always been in the back box on the bike rack.

Same here. The big one last really long the way we use it and we bring a single burner and 2 smaller gas cannisters. Never ran out and needed the cannisters. Although we do use those for cooking outside (bacon, pancakes and salmon, etc.) if we don't (want to or are allowed to) use a BBQ.

Back