Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Failed bike rack arms. T5

Frankyworthy

Frankyworthy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi All,

I have the original T5 bike rack with 3 arms of various sizes. The clasping threads on the longer two have seized up and no longer turn.

I have tried penetrating oil and WD but no luck. Any work arounds for this issue?

Failing that, where do I source these?. I have scoured the forum and can find T6 bike rack arms on VWCC website. I don’t know if these are the same fit.

Any ideas gratefully received. TIA

Paul

The clamp bars are threaded at both ends. Have you tried removing the nut on each bar at the top of the rack? If you can get these off with a spanner, then you will be able to soak the internal knob thread for longer and maybe it will eventually release.

VW dealers can supply limited, but not all parts for the bike rack. Worth having a chat with your local parts department to see if the clamp bars are available as spares.

Alan

Hi All,

I have the original T5 bike rack with 3 arms of various sizes. The clasping threads on the longer two have seized up and no longer turn.

I have tried penetrating oil and WD but no luck. Any work arounds for this issue?

Failing that, where do I source these?. I have scoured the forum and can find T6 bike rack arms on VWCC website. I don’t know if these are the same fit.

Any ideas gratefully received. TIA

Paul
Good thinking. I’ll have a go while I’m deliberating next steps. Tx.

It’s worth spending a bit of time getting them apart as the bits can be VERY expensive.
The threads seize on T6 version also.

I spent a couple of hours earlier in the year removing all arms and disassembling. Where completely seized at bike /handle end, then found that the thread would unwind at the top (where the arm attaches to the frame). Plenty of WD40 sprayed on over night.

Then used thread die and tap to clean.

Reassembled with copper grease on all threads.

Similarly I pumped some grease in to the key hole on the locking arm.

Note that the parts at the top end are shaped to allow arms to rotate (to hold the bikes), but to prevent the arm rotating in to the rear window. So take a couple of photos beforehand.

We had the locking arm seize up completely on our T6. Unbelievably VW replaced the complete bike rack under warranty. The lesson learnt, especially at this time of year, when there's a lot of salt flying around at the back of the vehicle, a little bit of preventive maintenance is called for.

Campervantastic have T5 arms. I just got the middle size from them.

I gave up trying to release the threads.
From memory I dismantled the locking knob, cut the threaded bar and replaced with a stainless threaded rod. I was concerned I was going to break the locking knob with the amount of force I was using. Quite fiddly, and a bit of a pain.
This was always going to be a problem with this design. The water collects in the recess, and the zinc plating will only last so long before the rust sets in. I had left mine permanently on the back of the car in case I needed to put the bike on. Having fixed it I swore that I would instead hang it inside, on the wall to prevent re-occurrence...... but its still on the back of the van as I type (note to self ??)

Considering the price of these items, some stainless bar instead of zinc plated is a small ask. Unless they want you to buy a new one when it rusts solid..... which it will !

I gave up trying to release the threads.
From memory I dismantled the locking knob, cut the threaded bar and replaced with a stainless threaded rod. I was concerned I was going to break the locking knob with the amount of force I was using. Quite fiddly, and a bit of a pain.
This was always going to be a problem with this design. The water collects in the recess, and the zinc plating will only last so long before the rust sets in. I had left mine permanently on the back of the car in case I needed to put the bike on. Having fixed it I swore that I would instead hang it inside, on the wall to prevent re-occurrence...... but its still on the back of the van as I type (note to self ??)

Considering the price of these items, some stainless bar instead of zinc plated is a small ask. Unless they want you to buy a new one when it rusts solid..... which it will !
Hi, we have the same problem, one by one all 3 arms have now seized up on our T6 Cali bike rack, are there any videos available of how to remove the Bike Rack arms? So we can replace the replace the threaded bar & apply some grease. Thanks

Hmmm... I've just gone to have a look at mine. I think I must have re-used the threaded rod, but maybe I changed the nut. I can't remember exactly.

If you compress the jaws of the clamp and rotate it relative to the knob, you should be able to gain access to the three cross head screws that hold the knob together. If these are removed then the knob will come apart.

I may have had to drill out the nut which was siezed onto the rod, it is at the bottom of a little cast cylinder so it is difficult to remove, drilling out was the only answer for me. Maybe I replaced the nut with a stainless one, although this will probably not stop corrosion.

Having just inspected mine which has been indoors for quite a while now, it is apparent that there is water inside the knobs. Really what is needed is a small plug or cap to go in the center of the knob to prevent water seeping in - immediately onto the bolt/nut threads.