Failed or faulty rear right had tailgate gas strut

A

andyrob

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi all,

3 month old Cali....

Anyone had this happen to them... We were getting the van sorted for our up and coming 2 week trip to France (28th August) Just put a spare gas canister in the rear closed the tailgate and continued on passing other stuff to the boss through side door, when the RH side light unit popped out breaking the lense. See attached photos.

It appears that the strut has come away from the nipple holding in place, but I cannot see how or why. The strut is still solid and fully charged and there does not appear to be any damage to the bottom of the strut where it secures on to the nipple.
I can only assume it was never located or fixed properly and I have been lucky to date that it had not happened whilst driving.

Left a call fro VW Breeze to contact me as I need to get this fixed, and under warranty. Main concern is not being able to understand how this has happened.

Any thoughts?

IMG_0186.JPG

IMG_0187.JPG

IMG_0188.JPG

IMG_0189.JPG

IMG_0190.JPG

Can't quite make out from your pictures but strut rod plastic lower fixing should incorporate a black steel c shaped locking clip, (see your good side NS strut fixing). if steel clip is present and lower plastic fixing (no cracks) and vehicle ball fixing undamaged, (been a while since I removed a tailgate strut), get wifey to lift tailgate to maximum, (you don't want to give yourself a hernia), ... chock it open with a stout piece of timber, Partially pull out the steel clip / lever it out with a small screwdriver, adjust tailgate position slightly as necessary, locate and push strut rod plastic fixing over ball fixing, push back the steel clip to lock the strut base into position ... try to pull it off .... if its locked back into position / won't come away, you're back in business, ... almost, ... replacement tail light cluster is an equally quick fix (two pozidrive head recessed screws inboard of lens, missing from your pictures).

Rgrds,

Rob H

hi Rob H,

really helpful, I will check tonight when I get home. The two pozidrive screws are actually attached to the light unit still in there holding plugs. I have the van booked in to the local van centre for Thursday am,but will investigate to see if clip still attached.
Cheers
Andy

The ball joint on the strut is held in place by these metal "c" clips, is this missing on the side that failed, have you checked the other side?

Back