Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Failed Rear Double Glazed Window

CPO77

CPO77

Hi All,
I have had to have one of the double glazed windows replaced under warranty as it started to fog up inside. It started as just a few drops of condensation and in the space of few weeks deteriorated to the point that you couldn't see out of it!
I am on a 'working holiday' :D in New Zealand and the local VW dealer first of all argued with me that it wasnt double glazed (They had never seen a Cali before! :eek: ), then tried to suggest the inside of the window needed a good clean (an insult given the pride I take in me Van) and then it proceeded to take about 3 months to order a new one and have it installed Grrrr :headbang
Was this an isolated example or has anyone else out there experienced the same problem? (a failed window - not shabby customer service!)

There were/are only about 15 Calis sold new in NZ - in total hence not a massive surprise your dealer had never seen one. Getting parts for VW can mean Singapore as nearest but as its a Cali i would expect it had to come from Germany. That's what we have to put up with here as we are a) a long way away from anything (a plus point for me !) and b)a very small consumer of european vehicles due to the prohibitive costs. I've just ordered a new Cali here (4mtn 6man) as they beat the price of a UK import so I am quite excited.
But sorry i can't answer your original question :lol:

Its not an uncommon problem, I had my rear window replaced under warranty for a similar issue. There have been others on here too.

The poor customer service is also quite common :lol:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Interesting Colin, Im pretty relaxed with the dealer network here as I know the constraints that they are under. What Im more peeved about is that I only get 2 years of the manufacturers warranty in NZ as the 3rd year is covered by the dealership network you purchased the Van from (in my case VW Van Centre Birmingham). Im guessing (hoping!) that if I had a major issue in my 3rd year (Engine - or more likely DSG :? ) that VW in the UK may front up but hopefully I wont have to put that theory to the test...

Get friendly with a VW dealer and I am sure you will be OK. They are dealing with a lot of ex UK vehicle warranty issues so generally they charge you now and reimburse. I know of a couple of mech tronic replacements that have been done that way.

It may be worth you seeing if the dealer over there can broker a relationship with a dealer here to get stuff shipped - it may help them to reduce lead times and/or get stuff right more often with a little more experience on direct tap.

It could be worth a conversation with Alex at SMG. He'll give you an honest appraisal!

I've spent a few months in Tauranga and I must say that after the UK (which is the best country in the world IMHO) that would be my second choice place to live with a Cali!

Californiaman said:
I've spent a few months in Tauranga and I must say that after the UK (which is the best country in the world IMHO) that would be my second choice place to live with a Cali!

True! I never would of entertained the idea of buying a camper until we came to NZ - but is perfect for a Cali - great roads, great weather and scenery and awesome campgrounds with wonderful facilities offset any of the drawbacks that a Cali has (no toilet and limited cooking facilities). We will probably move back to Ireland in a year or two and the Cali will stay behind :sad - I cant imagine using one at home now!

I sort of know what you mean. My last bug motorbike trip started and ended in Tauranga. Via the entire coast of both north & south. I hardly ever ride the bike in the UK now. That said, I LOVE the Cali in the UK!

Back