Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Family of 5 ( Is it possible?!)

Looseboy

Looseboy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hello all

Newbie looking at my options and I am now wondering if we can actually join the club yet or if we should wait a little longer.

We had planned to have one nearer our retirement but are wondering now if we can get a Cali Ocean or conversion that will act as family car plus allow us to get away with the whole family along occasionally with drive away awning etc...

Issue being our kids are adult size 5.6 5.9 and 5.11

I would want the journey to be comfortable for anyone in the back as family holidays could take us to south of France etc...

Anyone with any experiences and or ideas to share please?

2nd hand Beach gets you half way there with all of the fun and most of the convenience. Buy the Ocean when they have fled the nest or wouldn't be seen dead with you on holiday.

The travelling bit is covered by the optional fifth seat and storing the rear bed shelf vertically to allow the rear bench to be moved back.

Sleeping 5 of that size in an ocean is not practical so someone’s going to end up sleeping in the awning.

We are a family of six with an SE.
For the first couple of years we squeezed all six in for travel for our main holidays, but rented villas in Spain once we got there. For shorter breaks we left the oldest two kids at home and camped.
Now the oldest two are 19 they always get left at home, but the dog comes along instead! we still mix up the camping and renting villas.

It really depends on how you are intending to use the van, ours was my main vehicle so was always being used, we then used to get 8 or so long weekends a year camping. So a compromise was acceptable for the main holiday.
If you are buying just to go camping with 5 all the time for the foreseeable future it’s probably to much of a compromise, if the oldest is only likely to come with you for another year or so it may be worth the hassle now.

We have camped as 6,5,4 and 3 it certainly gets easier the less of you there are!

3-seat bench Beach & an awning. Parents sleep upstairs & kids outside.

I don’t see there being enough room (inc. luggage) in an Ocean with an extra seat to be enjoyable. YMMV.

2nd hand Beach gets you half way there with all of the fun and most of the convenience. Buy the Ocean when they have fled the nest or wouldn't be seen dead with you on holiday.

Thanks @2into1

I think you might be right about them flying the nest. I am sure most weekend trips will just be me the wife and 1-2 of them . So just the bigger holidays we need to account for 5 and some running around town.

I hadn’t considered the Beach as yet or buying one for now and getting the Cali later for me and the wife .

I will add it to the list of things to consider

Many thanks

The travelling bit is covered by the optional fifth seat and storing the rear bed shelf vertically to allow the rear bench to be moved back.

Sleeping 5 of that size in an ocean is not practical so someone’s going to end up sleeping in the awning.

We are a family of six with an SE.
For the first couple of years we squeezed all six in for travel for our main holidays, but rented villas in Spain once we got there. For shorter breaks we left the oldest two kids at home and camped.
Now the oldest two are 19 they always get left at home, but the dog comes along instead! we still mix up the camping and renting villas.

It really depends on how you are intending to use the van, ours was my main vehicle so was always being used, we then used to get 8 or so long weekends a year camping. So a compromise was acceptable for the main holiday.
If you are buying just to go camping with 5 all the time for the foreseeable future it’s probably to much of a compromise, if the oldest is only likely to come with you for another year or so it may be worth the hassle now.

We have camped as 6,5,4 and 3 it certainly gets easier the less of you there are!

Many thanks @andyinluton

Yes definitely expect to be taking an awning with us when all 5 present.

With the shelf down and seats back my concern was storage left to accommodate packing it and everything else.

So did you have the Cali and 5th seat? I am interested to know how easy it was to fit and remove on the go?

I only think we have around 2-3 years of all five going on family holidays so not many to get through

3-seat bench Beach & an awning. Parents sleep upstairs & kids outside.

I don’t see there being enough room (inc. luggage) in an Ocean with an extra seat to be enjoyable. YMMV.
Thanks @hirsty the luggage aspect is my concern with the 5th seat

Are roof boxes an option on Cali’s?

Yes - it can be done, assuming you can then get up there! Try a search on roof box, there will almost certainly be a thread.

I’d also always recommend a rental test to anyone thinking about a first van - you can learn a lot before spending big money & every family is different.

Hello all

Newbie looking at my options and I am now wondering if we can actually join the club yet or if we should wait a little longer.

We had planned to have one nearer our retirement but are wondering now if we can get a Cali Ocean or conversion that will act as family car plus allow us to get away with the whole family along occasionally with drive away awning etc...

I would want the journey to be comfortable for anyone in the back as family holidays could take us to south of France etc...

You would be able to sleep three downstairs comfortably on the Beach bed. With an Ocean you'd need to put at least one person outside in a tent unless you could rig up a 5' bed across the front seats for the smallest.

We have slept with three upstairs but the children were just 3 and 4 years old, with one adult downstairs on the 5' Beach bench.

Many thanks @andyinluton

Yes definitely expect to be taking an awning with us when all 5 present.

With the shelf down and seats back my concern was storage left to accommodate packing it and everything else.

So did you have the Cali and 5th seat? I am interested to know how easy it was to fit and remove on the go?

I only think we have around 2-3 years of all five going on family holidays so not many to get through

The 5th seat is heavy but easy to do when you've done it a couple of times.

Don't underestimate the size of the built in storage in an Ocean, it just means instead of an empty space you've got cupboards to put things. Don't forget also you've already a fridge built in so that's one huge item less to fill the boot with. ditto water container, gas bottle.

With the parcel shelf stored vertically behind the bench seat & the seat moved back to give leg room for the bench passenger behind the 5th seat, the volume is still bigger than our old discovery4 in 5 seater mode. & you've got cupboard space on top of that.

We occasionally use a westfalia back box mounted on a tow-bar bike rack, we can get the awning & a couple of chairs in there.

I would suggest your camping location would be the biggest factor as to whether its going to be enjoyable, 5 up in the south of france in summer, eating & sitting outside is bliss. Scotland in January with 5 would not.

Yes putting the rear bed frame vertical behind the rear seal does create a nice cabin space, but you lose the 'boot' storage.

An awning in its bag is quite a size, so you will need to work out where to put it when 'in transit'.

I do not like the idea of a roof box personally, but would consider a stowage bag placed on the rear bike rack.

With the roof box you need to be so careful with many carparks with height restrictions.

As others have said, you need to decide where and what you will be using the van for.

Sleeping 2 up in the Ocean is comfortable. 3or 4 up it is a pain and you definitely need a good awning solution.

There has been occasion too when we could not sleep upstairs because of high winds. You must factor this in to your requirements although the number of occasions it kicks in are likely to be very small.

Yes putting the rear bed frame vertical behind the rear seal does create a nice cabin space, but you lose the 'boot' storage.

An awning in its bag is quite a size, so you will need to work out where to put it when 'in transit'.

I do not like the idea of a roof box personally, but would consider a stowage bag placed on the rear bike rack.

With the roof box you need to be so careful with many car parks with height restrictions.

As others have said, you need to decide where and what you will be using the van for.

Sleeping 2 up in the Ocean is comfortable. 3or 4 up it is a pain and you definitely need a good awning solution.

There has been occasion too when we could not sleep upstairs because of high winds. You must factor this in to your requirements although the number of occasions it kicks in are likely to be very small.

Thanks @Alan Andrews i hadn't considered the stowage bag on the bike rack. I will do some research on that. would that be suitable on the Tow bar bike racks only or do they work on the frames that attach to the tailgate?

Thanks for the tip on high winds not something i have considered being a total newbie.

I visited a dealer the other day and was disappointed as they said the bed frame could not be stored vertical when removed and seats set back!!!!!. I didn't get into it with him but a few people have suggested it so i will work on that basis.
Just disappointing in terms of the advice and made me less likely to work with them on a purchase.

Thanks @Alan AndrewsThanks for the tip on high winds not something i have considered being a total newbie.
We spent a full year living in our van.

Our plan in the rare event of winds being so strong that we couldn’t sleep upstairs was:
1. Find a hotel or similar, or;
2. Sleep 4 in the lower berth.

The Beast from the East hit us when we were in Bulgaria (after we thought winter was over). We spent four nights in a self catering room.

In an emergency I would guess you could spend an uncomfortable night with three in the lower bed and two reclined in the driver and front passenger seats.

Hello all

Hi There

My own view of course. I think, given the age and 'size' of your family, you could make the travelling aspects workable in a Beach, with a reasonable amount of comfort. An Ocean would be more of a squeeze. But in either case if you were also looking to cover overnight sleeping, I'm not sure that would be practical without considering additional sleeping accommodation such as a Drive Away awning or Tent.

We meet a lot of families on the festival circuit, but anyone with families of the size you're talking about have to supplement their living accommodation in some way.

Best of luck x

Hi There

My own view of course. I think, given the age and 'size' of your family, you could make the travelling aspects workable in a Beach, with a reasonable amount of comfort. An Ocean would be more of a squeeze. But in either case if you were also looking to cover overnight sleeping, I'm not sure that would be practical without considering additional sleeping accommodation such as a Drive Away awning or Tent.

We meet a lot of families on the festival circuit, but anyone with families of the size you're talking about have to supplement their living accommodation in some way.

Best of luck x
Thanks @LowMan . Agreed i know that if we are all travelling i need the extra accommodation. The quandary is how i get all that accommodation and kit plus the bodies to where we are going comfortably.

Thanks @LowMan . Agreed i know that if we are all travelling i need the extra accommodation. The quandary is how i get all that accommodation and kit plus the bodies to where we are going comfortably.
Trailer?

Your over thinking it. There’s loads of room for 5 Have a think about what you would be taking if you were going camping in a car, then cross off what you’ve already got Built in - water, gas bottle, table, beds for 4, 2 chairs. You’ve then got cupboards for food, wardrobe space, overhead lockers, rear cupboard, under seat draw etc etc. Just be sensible with your selection of awning & don’t get one that fills the boot.

Don’t worry about storms etc - think positive ie it’s better than just having a tent. At least you’ve got somewhere you could all squeeze inside and make a cuppa if you had to.

We’ve done 6 up in summer in France in a Cali SE with 2 extra seats & it was fine.
Also done 3 up in Cornwall in the rain & it was awfull
It really depends on every bodies attitude - if everyone wants it to work it will.

Your over thinking it. There’s loads of room for 5 Have a think about what you would be taking if you were going camping in a car, then cross off what you’ve already got Built in - water, gas bottle, table, beds for 4, 2 chairs. You’ve then got cupboards for food, wardrobe space, overhead lockers, rear cupboard, under seat draw etc etc. Just be sensible with your selection of awning & don’t get one that fills the boot.

Don’t worry about storms etc - think positive ie it’s better than just having a tent. At least you’ve got somewhere you could all squeeze inside and make a cuppa if you had to.

We’ve done 6 up in summer in France in a Cali SE with 2 extra seats & it was fine.
Also done 3 up in Cornwall in the rain & it was awfull
It really depends on every bodies attitude - if everyone wants it to work it will.
I didn’t know you could fit 2 extra seats in an SE.

It’s very tight & you end up with one seat with literally no leg room. Have to get v5 and insurance changed.
I wouldn’t recommend it For camping but it worked ok for us as we tend to stay in a villa in Spain when we are all together, and just extend the holiday with a few days camping each end But use the van for camping when there’s only four of us.

Yes - it can be done, assuming you can then get up there! Try a search on roof box, there will almost certainly be a thread.

I’d also always recommend a rental test to anyone thinking about a first van - you can learn a lot before spending big money & every family is different.
We put our awning and some other stuff in Thule Easy Bag on a bike rack (sorry no room for bikes as well, well maybe 1 at push) so we pack less in the van

Back