Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VAG 305 Scanner For Scanning and Erasing Fault Codes.

John

John

VIP Member
vag-305-coder-reader-1_zpsacbd8fb4.jpg

This was a £19 well spent on eBay. :D :thumb

This is a useful little error code scanner that plugs into the OBD 2 connector which is located next to the bonnet release in the drivers foot well. It reads and erases Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) of your Engine, ABS, Airbags and Automatic Transmission.

Also it is a stand-alone unit with no need for an additional laptop computer to operate and is powered by the OBD 2 cable so does not even need battery's.

To use you just plug it in then switch on the ignition. From the menu you then select either Engine, A/T (Automatic Transmission), SRS (Safety Restraint System - Airbag), or ABS (Anti-lock braking system). The unit then scans the selected system for error codes called Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).

The main codes are listed in the users manual and for a full list of codes try these links.

http://www.airbagnews.com/PDF/Fehlercod ... nglish.pdf

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.ph ... ault_Codes

Finally the codes and accompanying warning lights can be erased by following carefully the scanners user manual.

HEALTH WARNING :eek:

When erasing codes it is important to use caution as these codes have been generated for a reason. You are dealing with some important systems that effect the safety of your Cali so do not erase the codes before the system has been checked by a VW technician.

In my case it was a no brainer as I inadvertently activated the Airbag Caution light by switching on the ignition with the passenger seat removed. :headbang

Finally you will see many of these Scanners on eBay, for sale, but many will only work with cars like the more common orange colour scanner being sold. Check before you buy that it is compatible with the T5 transporter. This blue one worked with my Classic 2007 Cali but do check if you have a Face-Lift Cali or a Beach.

John

John

Forgive me, but I thought these were problematic - any other thoughts on this?

James

James said:
John

James

You may be wright James but it worked for me and saved me the time and cost of taking my Cali to SMG.

John

John said:
James said:
John

James

You may be right James but it worked for me and saved me the time and cost of taking my Cali to SMG.

John

I can see that particular if you are doing bits yourself and you for example doing something that leaves on the airbag warning light. I just thought there were previous discussions about these, but maybe I am wrong.

If anyone has tried this on a facelift Cali/T5 with success I'd like to know.

I accidentally triggered my airbag light (leaving passenger seat unplugged when I turned the ign) and tried the orange scanner from EBay but no use so had to go back to the dealer.

I'd buy this if it works in case I need it again.

Custardtart said:
If anyone has tried this on a facelift Cali/T5 with success I'd like to know.

I accidentally triggered my airbag light (leaving passenger seat unplugged when I turned the ign) and tried the orange scanner from EBay but no use so had to go back to the dealer.

I'd buy this if it works in case I need it again.

This blue controller did have the Transporter T5 on the list of compatible vehicles. I would just send the eBay seller a question to check if it is compatible with a facelift transporter.

John

That has the term CAN in the product name which is likely to mean it will work with later vehicles that use the CAN Bus for diagnostics.

I have the genuine VW VCDS lead and software and based in Brighton, East Sussex if anyone needs to borrow it.

Did anyone find out if this works on the facelift please? Ifo not, which one does?

Thanks

Dunc

Hi all if any of you need lights turning off faults reading I have the vag com and it's genuine can mail you once read the report / then clear the stored faults
If you need help I've had over 20 years experience with Vw's especially commercials which is what the Cali is based on I'm in the Lancashire area uk.

Beware and be careful
Please be careful pluging in cheap code readers
It can not saying it will but it can spike the ecu
And that will be expensive if it does.

If you need help and don't want to pay silly figures. Mail me

I tried a similar one off eBay/Amazon when the air bag light came on due to the loom on the driver seat on my facelift. Couldn't get it to work, turned out it was incompatible with the canbus system. Had to take it to the dealer in the end.

You need the genuine one as per moysvdub.

Back