Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fed up with Sat Nav

Taff7996

Taff7996

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I'm fed up with google maps via app connect and my stand alone TomTom sending me down very narrow unclassified lanes

They think it will make the journey faster, as some single track road are classified as a 60 mph, but in the real world you'd be luck to travel above 30 mph

Have researched the HGV/Motorhome Sat Navs and all the feed back shows that they work in just the same way as standard sat navs

So I'm looking for a solution, I want a sat nav, either app that works with app connect or stand alone unit that you can specify to avoid unclassified roads unless there is no alternative

When she tries to send me down lanes I just ignore it. Especially after a near disaster in a Spanish village.
In the end a little old lady with a red scarf waving and walking in front led me out of the village

Hmm it's Tough.
My Tom Tom is better than my Landrover which in turn is better than the VW Sat Nav I had in the hired T6 which was to slow in delivering change of direction on screen. So could never be 100 % sure if it was this turning or the next one 20 yards further on. I guess I may have got used to it.
Garmin was a complete disaster for me (I've had 2 tom toms and 2 Garmins).
So nothing better than Tom Tom for me so far.

Smart sat-nave can be dimmer than a Toc-h lamp.

I got shunted down a road in france that was a couple of millimetres narrower than the Cali ... with mirrors folded. Just last night it wanted to send me down a lane with grass growing in the middle of it when for the sake of half a mile I had the use of a perfectly good, wide and straight A road.

If you find an answer let me know.

When she tries to send me down lanes I just ignore it. Especially after a near disaster in a Spanish village.
In the end a little old lady with a red scarf waving and walking in front led me out of the village

Similar experience in Spain but old lady in headscarf just watched us pass her and smiled when we returned shortly after.

Finally worked out with the in house satnav that setting no motorways and no tolls and picking the long route makes for some beautiful routes if you accept that on occasions you need to re plot your route when it's sending you over the mountains via a goat track. Turning round was ... interesting.
We understand each other better now

Mike

That is just the sort of experience I have come to love:
Sat nav: "Now turn left"
Me: "Really!? Ok then, here we go"
Clare: "No Tom, don't"
Ben and Jack: "Yes dad do"
We turn left.
Clare: "I said 'don't'"
Me: "You said 'no Tom, don't', that's a double negative"
Another near divorce ensues as we rock and roll along a bumpy mountain track with locals looking aghast as another idiot blindly follows their sat nav.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

I am looking to buy the latest large scale UK Atlas.
We have used our Mobile Phone GPS for years now. It took us all through the UK, Spain and France but in Sunny Cornwall it is always taking us down tiny narrow lanes with wopping great brambles scratching down the sides and mud from tractors on the lanes usually just after I have washed it.:(
Apparently there are Sat Navs that you can set the size of your vehicle to avoid this.

Description that I heard a truck driver use for it was "did you follow the T*at Nav and not your brain?"

Used it as a guide ever since and not as a must do instruction after all who's got the steering wheel control, for now until technology takes over.

I used a stand-alone sat nav for years which allowed you to set the size of van. Know more back lanes again. Look up sat navs for campers, I also had it loaded with stop overs, fishing sites and good pubs. Something like Garmin camper will fit the bill.F

Once I have got from A to B (home to Holiday area) I activley seek out small country roads back roads and wild areas.

One of the reasons we went for a campervan rather the a large white Motorhome.

Last edited:
there is no need for satellite caravans ... California is not a gypsy motorhome! where normal car passes also the California ..... never had problems with TomTom, Mapsmy, Copilot ...

I'm fed up with google maps via app connect and my stand alone TomTom sending me down very narrow unclassified lanes

They think it will make the journey faster, as some single track road are classified as a 60 mph, but in the real world you'd be luck to travel above 30 mph

Have researched the HGV/Motorhome Sat Navs and all the feed back shows that they work in just the same way as standard sat navs

So I'm looking for a solution, I want a sat nav, either app that works with app connect or stand alone unit that you can specify to avoid unclassified roads unless there is no alternative
Isn’t that part of the fun?

I use this and it works well with no issues. It's designed for Caravans and motor homes and you just put in your Waggons dimensions and your off.

Ventura Pro Caraven Club Edition
Campsite database with 20,000 euro / UK campsites preloaded.
Large 7" touch screen
Speed cameras etc

It does route you depending on your size and if your in a hurry just swap your details too car and you will be fine.

IMG_20171119_172508.jpg

IMG_20171119_172341.jpg

IMG_20171119_172508.jpg

Last edited:
I use this and it works well with no issues. It's designed for Caravans and motor homes and you just put in your Waggons dimensions and your off.

Ventura Pro Caraven Club Edition
Campsite database with 20,000 euro / UK campsites preloaded.
Large 7" touch screen
Speed cameras etc

It does route you depending on your size and if your in a hurry just swap your details too car and you will be fine.

View attachment 27750
I’ve got garmin dezl 760 as I’m a truck driver. Can input dimensions of your vehicle and hey presto!

I have a cheap outdated Garmin - I've put my size as a van and when it tries to take me down narrow roads I ignore it - unless I know the narrow road is where I want to be which it sometimes is.