Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Feel my suspension on my Ocean Bullit 6.1 2023 is so soft

E

erlingnkindem

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Good morning, someone who have the same opinion. It is very clearly felt in very winding roads. Feels like it can sometimes tip. But it is a heavy car. Someone know what upgrade what is possible.

Erling

Good morning, someone who have the same opinion. It is very clearly felt in very winding roads. Feels like it can sometimes tip. But it is a heavy car. Someone know what upgrade what is possible.

Erling
Heavy duty anti roll bars would be the first thing to try, they make a world of difference.

Heavy duty anti roll bars would be the first thing to try, they make a world of difference.

Although with uprated RARB, if they're too stiff they can shift the bias such that the back end might try and let go before the front, which is fun in a hatchback, but not sure how manageable oversteer in 3 tonnes of camper would be (not to mention flying crockery).

Erling
HI Erling
We had exactly the same feeling as you concerning the handling.
We fitted front and rear “H&R” anti roll bars and changed the shocks to “Koni Special Actives” and that made a real difference.
Not cheap but really worth it.

Although with uprated RARB, if they're too stiff they can shift the bias such that the back end might try and let go before the front, which is fun in a hatchback, but not sure how manageable oversteer in 3 tonnes of camper would be (not to mention flying crockery).
Nice to see someone who actually understands vehicle dynamics. Often OEM will only fit front arb for this very reason. Only fit /uprate rear to match front. :cheers

Suspension changes are a bit of a nightmare. Springs, dampers, tyres, ARBs and 'setup' (camber etc) constitute an interdependent system. Changing just one element in the equation can have unexpected and sometimes very undesirable consequences. My advice would be to take it to someone who really knows about suspension and knows about Calis. My other vehicle is a BMW - there are people who spend small fortunes 'upgrading' their suspension only to make things worse.

There is also ridiculous marketing hype - take that description of the ARBs "your ride quality will improve with greater rigidity and responsiveness". If rigidity and responsiveness were 'ride quality' we could delete all the rubber components out of the suspension and bolt everything up tight. You would lose the fillings out of your teeth very quickly.

Manufacturers like VW spend huge time and resources tuning the suspension of their vehicles. Suspension is not a free lunch - what you gain in one direction (lets say comfort) you lose in another (say handling). So you may not like the balance that VW has struck (which for most German manufacturers I think is biased towards high speed, heavily loaded, smooth road travel) but simply swapping out a component or two is not likely to improve things.

Good luck!

Nice to see someone who actually understands vehicle dynamics. Often OEM will only fit front arb for this very reason. Only fit /uprate rear to match front. :cheers
Many moons ago I had a car (fairly ordinary hatchback) which I heavily modified for track use, including adjustable RARB, coilovers, shocks etc. etc. but still used as a daily driver. It was beautifully neutral on the limit, virtually no roll etc. and only understeered if you were deliberately clumsy with the loud pedal (it was FWD), but when it let go, it let go in style!!

Many moons ago I had a car (fairly ordinary hatchback) which I heavily modified for track use, including adjustable RARB, coilovers, shocks etc. etc. but still used as a daily driver. It was beautifully neutral on the limit, virtually no roll etc. and only understeered if you were deliberately clumsy with the loud pedal (it was FWD), but when it let go, it let go in style!!
Perfect setup for Cali?:D

Last edited:
Back