Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Suspension

dfps

dfps

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi,

My Cali is a 2007 SE Tiptronic with 85,000 ish miles on the clock ----so well out of warranty.Up to this point it has always been serviced by VW.

If there is anything I would change about the vehicle it would be its ride, particularly when cornering which I consider to be "wallowy" ( if that's a real word ). But I also find the front harsh on bumps. Which suggests typically Germanic hard suspension.
We have a rather rough road leading to our property and we feel every bump. This seems at odds with the "wallowy" feel in corners which suggests soft suspension

Due to the vehicles age and mileage it would probably benefit from having the shocks changed as a matter of course.If this needs to be done then it would seem sensible to upgrade the suspension.

Can't stretch to air suspension as that is way outside my budget and would probably fit the parts myself as am reasonably able in that department.

What have other people done ?
What have other people fitted ?

Links to parts ?

What were the outcomes ?

Thanks

There are a few threads on this topic. Use search function.

Personally I would think about renewing the shocks and bushes at least.
Don't forget it is a heavy vehicle, especially when fully loaded with fuel, water etc. and there would be a difference between loaded/unloaded. I would tend to keep with original type approved parts unless you wish to lower the suspension.

Hi,

My Cali is a 2007 SE Tiptronic with 85,000 ish miles on the clock ----so well out of warranty.Up to this point it has always been serviced by VW.

If there is anything I would change about the vehicle it would be its ride, particularly when cornering which I consider to be "wallowy" ( if that's a real word ). But I also find the front harsh on bumps. Which suggests typically Germanic hard suspension.
We have a rather rough road leading to our property and we feel every bump. This seems at odds with the "wallowy" feel in corners which suggests soft suspension

Due to the vehicles age and mileage it would probably benefit from having the shocks changed as a matter of course.If this needs to be done then it would seem sensible to upgrade the suspension.

Can't stretch to air suspension as that is way outside my budget and would probably fit the parts myself as am reasonably able in that department.

Links to parts ?

What were the outcomes ?

Thanks
The T6 has an option for heavy duty anti roll bars and dampers, these parts may be compatible with the T5. VW should be able to confirm.

Bilstein B12 is good. I have H&R springs and it has transformed my 2096 Cali.

I have fitted the VW lowered springs to our new Cali, its has definitely improved things, but still not as good as I'd like ..

Now talking to SMG about an uprated 28mm anti roll bar for the rear that is available for the T5. This should improve the 'wallowy' feeling. Just waiting for confirmation on the dreaded impact to warranty

Keep you posted

Hello dfps, we have a siekel lift kit with bilstein dampers and (most likely) a thicker rear anti roll bar.
I've driven a 2009 "regular" California 4motion and am in comparison very pleased with ride and comfort on our 2006 "seikel" Cali. It's no go cart in the corners, but would definitely not describe it as wallowy.
Guess the lift kit is no usefull option for you, but the bilstein dampers seem to do their job nicely, (and probably also the unconfirmed rear anti roll bar).

I'm on my way to the island and can soon crawl under it to measure thickness, will report back.

I have same age Cali 94k and I was planning 30mm VW lowering spring and the thicker rear anti roll bar. From this site it seems like a good combo without making the ride too harsh.

We have fitted the VB air suspension unit on our 180 4motion. Did this at start of year, now done about 6k. Pretty impressed, changing to sport on motorway, park to get bikes on back, off road for just that and best of all self level ( no longer need chocks and faffing around at end of journey). Expensive at £4.5k but you get a lot for the money the ride is smoother but you still get some front end transmission of shocks from big holes etc

I had the same issues with wallowey ride and therefore decided to fit genuine vw sport line springs
( 30mm lower)
I was worried that they would make the ride even harsher than it already was over potholes etc.
I also had in mind swapping the dampers if the ride did turn out to be worse.
The springs were fitted just last week by my local vw dealer and I have been pleasantly surprised by both the lack of wallowing around bends and the fact that the ride is no harsher than before ( less if that's possible ?)
I now find the van much more car like to drive and the motorway feels a safer place due to less body roll.
I won't be needing dampers but then mine have only done 10k miles so I can't speak for those with higher mileage.
At the end of the day it's a van which gets loaded with kit etc so expectations of sports car handling are probably not the way to go.
(Although it's probably possible if your prepared to throw enough cash at it lol )

Hi All,

The two issues I find with the suspension (as documented above) is that a pothole or uneven road surfaces tend to transmit through and also I would agree the ride is wallowy (I have a Cali 4motion).

My ideal suspension would be soft (but not wallowy) but with the ability to soak up the bumps.

I have considered two options;
  • Lowered springs (30mm)
  • Air suspension
Clearly there is a big price difference between the two options.

I would be interested in understanding if anyone that has had either of the above options fitted who were disappointed or particularly pleased? (I was interested that the air suspension did not stop the "crashy" feeling through the front).

Does anyone that has the above fitted believe it gives the ride quality I am trying to achieve?

Its probably worth mentioning that in a car I prefer a softer setup and am not interested in going around corners fast :) (I would never specify a sports suspension).

One of the motivations for the above is that my dog gets car (Cali) sick. I tend to plan routes on large roads (Motorways or A roads) to avoid pot hole B roads or excessively winding roads to try and make the journey as bearable as possible for him...

I just wanted to point out that where many people here tend to focus on springs, shock absorbers and stabilisers, the tyres are a very important factor as well, easily overlooked.
Especially when you have sharp, tangential bumps or ridges, the first shock is absorbed by ones tyres, rather than springs or shock absorbers. So, if you have tyres that have very stiff or very low sides, or that are inflated too much, the ride will never be very comfortable as far as sharp ridges or bumps are concerned, no matter how much you invest in Bilsteins or air suspension or the like.

I just wanted to point out that where many people here tend to focus on springs, shock absorbers and stabilisers, the tyres are a very important factor as well, easily overlooked.
Especially when you have sharp, tangential bumps or ridges, the first shock is absorbed by ones tyres, rather than springs or shock absorbers. So, if you have tyres that have very stiff or very low sides, or that are inflated too much, the ride will never be very comfortable as far as sharp ridges or bumps are concerned, no matter how much you invest in Bilsteins or air suspension or the like.
This is a good point, the craze for big alloys with low profile tyres has been the cause of many a damaged alloy , and no doubt a harsh ride.

PS I was particularly pleased with the springs only route :thumb

I opted for the VW lowered uprated spring kit which, as a factory part and the vehicle still in warranty was the sensible way to go.

It does improve the driving experience but it is still a heavy van and I allow for that factor. The diving/wallowing is mitigated to a degree but the stiffness from the lower uprated springs does have annoying side effects when you go on less well made roads so the crashing to a degree is still there but, I go back to it being a heavy van.

My wife's car has very low prfile tyres as a factory spec but the suspension is tuned to suit so it is a surprisingly good drive.

Having played with suspension for years with my competition cars it is an end to end issue with the sum of the parts delivering the effect not one item.

For example with my 17" alloys and factory supplied tyres then the ride is smoother with the winter steelies and factory tyres M&S the road noise does increase.

All in all the lowered stiffiened kit does work better for towing, 'car' driving but is a compromise. I might cxonsider uprated shocks, but not yet.

Hello,
I've a 4motion Cali.
I've change for Bilstein b6 on std springs and some springs distance kit (20mm) for the rear end.
The ride has been massively improved without being too firm, and the stance is now right.
The original Cali's shocks were...(sh.t!) not up for the task.
Cheers

I have fitted the VW lowered springs to our new Cali, its has definitely improved things, but still not as good as I'd like ..

Now talking to SMG about an uprated 28mm anti roll bar for the rear that is available for the T5. This should improve the 'wallowy' feeling. Just waiting for confirmation on the dreaded impact to warranty

Keep you posted
Did you ever fit the updated anti roll bar??

Hi,

Links to parts ?

What were the outcomes ?

Thanks
Hi dfps,I had the same excessive sway on islands and cornering, not any more I fit H&R heavy duty anti sway bars and up rated drop links 20160901_150233.jpg

Just been through this as noticed Albert's front shocks were weeping and an MOT failure. Even the 4 motion has standard shocks that you find on a panel van, so I went for the Bilstein B6's in the end and have absolutely no regrets. Albert is firmer, all wallowing has gone, a huge difference in ride quality, less banging over potholes and far better road manners. Changed all 4 shocks on the drive (interesting, but not that difficult, had to cut off the front drop links and replace them). It might be subconscious but I think the rear ride height is better as well. What I also did was replace the rear spring lower cups as they were completely shot with the rear coil springs grinding on the lower suspension arm over speed bumps. (See photo) So if you have a clunky/grinding noise from the rear it could be these - £17 for the pair. I was going to upgrade the anti-roll bar but the B6's have removed the need for that. All round I'm chuffed.20191116_114715.jpg