Paulro

Paulro

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Just planning my first trip.
Ferries not cheap.
What do you do? Are there any sites you can recommend?

Norfolk Lines new Dover to Calais service can be booked for £25 at the moment.

I have been a member if Brittany Ferries owners club, and get discounts that way.
I have also block booked a load of Eurotunnel tickets (10 crossings + £39 each - but only valid for 12 months) as a 'Frequent Traveller'. For this you will get travel in the high carriages for no extra cost.

OK, there is more of a drive, but it becomes a equation where the cheaper crossing cost + autoroute tolls + fuel = less than the more expensive ferry + shorter distance / less fuel costs.

Personally, I quite like the drive and have used it to stop off and visit places I might otherwise not have done such as Etretât and Vimy Ridge

Just been on Norfolk lines website & dover calais is £29 each way. Still the cheapest.

Have crossed Norfolk lines dover to dunquirk a lot, was always by far the cheapest.

Skywalker said:
I have been a member if Brittany Ferries owners club, and get discounts that way.
I have also block booked a load of Eurotunnel tickets (10 crossings + £39 each - but only valid for 12 months) as a 'Frequent Traveller'. For this you will get travel in the high carriages for no extra cost.

Apologies for hijack ... Luke, for the block booking do you have to pick your dates at time of buying, or is it reasonably flexible? Any major restrictions, or can you reasonably free with travel times and durations?

Cheers
Steve

swigle said:
Skywalker said:

Apologies for hijack ... Luke, for the block booking do you have to pick your dates at time of buying, or is it reasonably flexible? Any major restrictions, or can you reasonably free with travel times and durations?

Cheers
Steve

Steve, you just book a block of 10 tickets (5 return trips in that sense) and you are given an account number.
When you then book your crossings, you log on using your account number and the trips are taken off you total number remaining.

There are some additional costs if you want to travel on the most popular crossings - but no more than £30 for a peak time crissing IIRC. If you are taking a hound, you still need to pay the £30 additional for the return trip.

It is an excellent way to get across the Channel easily and I have never had a problem turning up early and hopping on an earlier crossing.
The Cali would also get you onto the high roofed carriages where it is not as claustrophobic. :hijack tee hee at the smiley!

Back