Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How do you book your ferries?

Paulro

Paulro

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Just booked my ferry travel for the summer leaving on Brittany ferries from Poole to Cherbourg on 5th July and Returning on 1st September via Le Havre and LD Lines.
I google cheap ferries and basically spend time looking for the best options and deals.
Is there a better way?
Many flights now are quite cheap so it is a bit of a shock to see the cost of ferries but as they are the only way of getting to Europe I guess we just have to accept it but I like the idea of getting the very best deal.
I might use the ferries on two separate occasions during the year so people on the forum with more experience than myself will tell me whether or not it is worth joining something that guarantees cheaper fares but perhaps requires more usage?

Caravan club and C&CC both have discounts if you book via their websites, it normally works out at anything upto 10% discount off the standard fare. However Brittany Ferries are known for offering the worst discounts because of their monopoly on the western channel crossings but if you are a member it is worth giving them a go.

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/planning-y ... ng/ferries

Also be careful with the broker websites ( Aferry etc..) as many of them charge a fee of around £30 if you need to make changes to your booking.

I have also found that some campsites in France etc... are cheaper if booked via the club as you don't have to pay a booking fee which many campsites have recently started charging.

Martin said:
Caravan club and C&CC both have discounts if you book via their websites, it normally works out at anything upto 10%t off the standard fare. However Brittany Ferries are known for offering the worst discounts because of their monopoly on the western channel crossings but if you are a member it is worth giving them a go.

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/planning-y ... ng/ferries

Also be careful with the broker websites ( Aferry etc..) as many of them charge a fee of around £30 if you need to make changes to your booking.

I have also found that some campsites in France etc... are cheaper if booked via the club as you don't have to pay a booking fee which many campsites have recently started charging.

That's useful info Martin cheers.
We're thinking of going to Spain in the summer via the santander ferry never realised you could get discounts thru the Cc.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I always travel via the tunnel, as I find it easier and its not too bad a drive for me, plus I always tend to be going the alps way or Germany etc. I have always found the ferries expensivce in comparison. :thumb

We tend to use the tunnel more now even though we are just a 20 min drive from Portsmouth ferry port, also the other bonus of the tunnel is you can use your Tesco clubcard points :thumb

Much like Martin and to a lesser extent Oli we are a stones throw from the Portsmouth Ferries and not too far from Poole either however we are using the tunnel for convenience.

We have the Frequent Traveller plan. You deposit a sum in your account which is equivalent to 10 single journeys. Last year it was £390 so £39 each way although on just checking it seems its £430 this year.

http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/tickets/types/frequent-traveller/

For this you get very flexible tickets, free to change up to 24 hours before travel and largely unrestricted travel. There are some peak time restrictions although we've always been able to work around them but you can play a small upgrade fee to travel at peak times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I generally look at the broker sites but then book direct with the ferries if there is a price match - which there normally is +/- £1. I've not yet found the CC or C&CC beat these prices, but would still check them out.

We normally in use the Dover Calais ferries, as they are certainly cheaper than the tunnel in low season, but have just come back from visiting friends in the Loire region and used the Portsmouth - Le Havre crossing with LD. I was very happy with them - no frills, and very little price loading for campervans. Half the price of Brittany Ferries. I know they are changing the operator on this line to DFDS this year, so don't know how that will change the service and costs.

We're thinking of going to Spain in the summer via the santander ferry never realised you could get discounts thru the Cc.

If planning using this crossing this summer I'd advise booking soon as it is very popular & gets full soon.

I used to cross Dover Dunkirk with Norfolk lines which was cheap & a good no frills service. They are now DFDS & are no longer cheep charging to change a booking now.

Andy said:

If planning using this crossing this summer I'd advise booking soon as it is very popular & gets full soon.

I used to cross Dover Dunkirk with Norfolk lines which was cheap & a good no frills service. They are now DFDS & are no longer cheep charging to change a booking now.

Yeah i've been warned already to get it booked soon but we're hopeless at planning things in advance! Will have to decide quickly whether that's what we want to do.

Booked Dfds. Two week trip. Dover to Calais. End July beginning August. £80 :thumb
As said book early

My first French trip. Can't wait. :p

ChrisandPenney52 said:
I know they are changing the operator on this line to DFDS this year, so don't know how that will change the service and costs.

The shipping industry is very incestuous!! :laugh2

The vessel, Norman Voyager, is actually owned by Stena although still operated by Louis Dreyfus Transmanche Ferries.

It was in my portfolio before it transferred to LD as the operator and subsequently Stena bought it from its previous owners, Epic Shipping. :mrgreen:

Used the Caravan Club to book our P & O North Sea Ferries from Hull for the last few years as they were always approx 10% cheaper than direct with P & O or other web sites.
This year have booked Portsmouth - Caen out and Santander - Plymouth return, just went with Caravan Club and didn't check others.
Brittany Ferries certainly have the monopoly for Spain so doubt there would be little in the way of discounts.
For northern members, certainly recommend P & O from Hull to Rotterdam or Zeebrugge, cabins included and all you can eat buffet meals pre-bookable at discount. Ferries arrive at 8.00 am and it saves the hassle of getting down to the south east coast.

Hubert

Try Brit ferries owners abroad. I pay one off 130£ ad get very good prices and there special offers are good also. Worth talking to them. It pays if you make more than 2 trips.malc

I am just about to book a ferry for the Cali on The Farm.
Noticed that the price is twice lower for a "Motorhome", than for a "Van".
How do you declare California, Van or Motorhome?
Is there a problem to declare it as Motorhome?
Thanks
Andrzej

When we use the Channel Tunnel we noticed there is a supplement for a Camper of the price of a Van which given the Cali is essentially a van seems a bit unfair. I called them and explained and they simply said they charge extra because they can.

Now we book as a Van and so far have not had a problem. :thumb

As Stu does we now just book as a van, the worst that can happen is they will charge you the extra when you check in.

but it seems that motorhome is twice cheaper than van...

Stu said:
Andresz said:
but it seems that motorhome is twice cheaper than van...

Then I'd book as a Motor Home if I were you.

That is exactly what I think to do, I was just wondering if somebody have exercised this with Cali.

This is like with the parking lots: when a sign says: "No motorhome allowed" we go there because we are a van,
if the sign says "Motorhome only" we go there with no hesitation :mrgreen: .

DFDS Dover-Dunkirk always seems to be the cheapest :clap

No-one's mentioned that Stena Line accept Tesco vouchers as part or all payment. We've used them a lot over the past 10 years, mainly because of this. Just buy your fuel at Tesco filling stations as often as possible and save up all the coupons. Result? Very nearly a free return journey - yes, I know it's not really free, but it feels like it when you book :mrgreen:
Sadly, P&O don't do this any more :censor , so Hull-Rotterdam is no longer our first choice - plus they got greedy and upped their prices whilst lowering their standards at the same time :shocked

Back