Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ferry to Spain

tim batten

tim batten

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I am currently on the Pont Aven ferry from Portsmouth to Santander en route for a 6 week trip through Spain, Portugal, Andorra and France. There is another Cali on board - an off road grey with awning. Does anyone know whether this is a forum member?

Hi Tim

Hard to say yes a few members have Calis this colour but what is the reg that may help. You could always leave a note on their windscreen to say hello.

Hope you have a great time in Luz and enjoy the sking on your way home. :D

Merry Christmas from all of us here on the forum.

John

Hi Tim, we have done Portsmouth to Santander a few times and was supposed to be on that crossing today but a change of plan a few months ago! The Pont Aven is our favourite ferry, I assume you are just arriving in Santander as I write this, by the look of it the Bay of Biscay was very kind to you :) Have a good journey down and Merry Christmas.

Yes the Bay of Biscay was fairly calm. We just arrived in the western Algarve- sunny and 15deg at 5pm! We camped on ACSI sites in Salamanca (good) and Avora (ok) on the way down. Over the years we have done this route about 10 times and each time the roads get faster. We did lots of detours to see some of the real Spain. The Cali has, of course , been superb.

hi did that crosing last week now on the ferrey from portimao down to the canaries via madeira left today 3ok (armas) one way 230 euros no cabin mines off road grey 57 plate no awning chers kev

I think we might spend May 2013 in Portugal and plan to do a UK-Spain ferry return end of April / beginning of june. This is Cali, me and the missus thinking ahead.

Any advice on the choice of ferry line, named ships and ports would be very welcome.
I've not even started pourring through the options so any heads ups on issues etc would be equally welcome.

We'll be driving to and from Glasgow and don't really have any other constraints I don't think ...

The company to sail with is Brittany Ferries. They sail from either Portsmouth or Plymouth (depending on time of year) to Santander. They run 2 ships, both are excellent - Pont Aven (biggest) and Cap Finistere (newest). It's takes about 20 hours. The cabins are very good, as is the food. We have done this route many times, and occasionally, it can be a bit rough in the Bay of Biscay, but these are big ships so they cope very well with rough seas. We are heading down to the Algarve in the California at the end of November, and will be doing this crossing.

I at Vila Real de Santo Antonio right now and it's been very very hot here.....

Brittany Ferries also do Portsmouth to Bilbao, don't know how it compares in price to the other routes though.
Either way it is not cheap.

Andy said:
Brittany Ferries also do Portsmouth to Bilbao, don't know how it compares in price to the other routes though.
Either way it is not cheap.

We normally do this route however BF keep putting their prices up, it came in at over £1700 return so it was still cheaper with diesel and tolls from Folkestone on this occasion. However go out of peak season and it is half the price. As Tim says they are excellent ships and on Cap Finistere you can even have the dog in the cabin (for those with dogs) nearer to a mini cruise ship rather than a ferry.

nearer to a mini cruise ship rather than a ferry.

Yes a lot of folks use the crossing as a mini cruise & spend one night in spain then catch next ferry home. That's why the get very busy. Need to book well in advance.

It seems that the 2013 timetable and prices aren't posted until the end of summer - I'm assumming the timetable will be much the same as ths year.

Driving from Glasgow to the south coast, a late evening ferry would be good for us but I see the only current late evening departures (Sunday, 10pm) is a 2 night not 1 night trip (Portsmouth-Bilbao, Cap Finistere). It seems to get into Bilbao early morning which is an added bonus for us if we want to drive straight to Portugal.

Has anyone used the 2-night trip or have any comments?

barry said:
It seems that the 2013 timetable and prices aren't posted until the end of summer - I'm assumming the timetable will be much the same as ths year.

Driving from Glasgow to the south coast, a late evening ferry would be good for us but I see the only current late evening departures (Sunday, 10pm) is a 2 night not 1 night trip (Portsmouth-Bilbao, Cap Finistere). It seems to get into Bilbao early morning which is an added bonus for us if we want to drive straight to Portugal.

We have only ever done the one night to Santander a few times so can't comment on the Bilbao crossing, you can however park overnight at Portsmouth Port, just park in the far left lane and you can use all the facilities in the terminal and be ready to board the next day. I do know BF are making a few changes to the timetable next year aswell as they have not had a very good year financially.New timetable normally go lives mid autumn.

barry said:

Coincidentally, 2013 timetable and prices were posted a few hours after my post above.